Why do some 45s have drill holes in them...

Those denoted records that stayed unsold for too long. They were then drilled into or sawed slightly into, and sold for discounted prices. An example of these 45s would be the "3 for $1" 45 bags at Woolworth.

Yep, cutouts, just like the LPs with the sawed corners, drilled holes or other mark in the covers.
Nothing wrong with them except they thought they pressed to many. I remember back in the 1970s the More-Way store had a whole bin of Pink Floyd's 1st LP "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" for $0.67.

Wish I bought a couple dozen and kept them...

Those denoted records that stayed unsold for too long. They were then drilled into or sawed slightly into, and sold for discounted prices. An example of these 45s would be the "3 for $1" 45 bags at Woolworth.

Boy, I remember those! Sometimes you'd get some gold in there but sometimes you'd really get some dreck. You could see 2 records but you never knew what the middle one was until you bought the darn thing and opened the bag. I must have had about 10 copies of "Hitchin' A Ride" thanks to that! :thumbsdn:

Celt, love the avatar. My wife took off for a couple of days and when she came back Monday I had followed through on a promise from a few years ago, she got a new door bell. Guess what it plays? Yes, she is referred to by some in the neighborhood as Mrs. Bucket.

Rooting for bargains at the five and dime!

I used to love to "hunt through" the bargain bin at Woolworths and the other 5 & 10 stores.

Once when I was a senior in High School, but before my best friend or I had a car, we rode the bus downtown and spent practically a whole day rooting through the "bargain bins" at every dime store downtown!

You used to really get some interesting stiff in the "bargain bags"!

In my youth back in the UK imported singles and albums were allways drilled thru with a hole and had a little "duty paid" sticker on them as far as i can remember.......i allways thought it was a silly thing to do as the hole went right thru the record sleeve and everything.............

You see the same thing on LPs, either a saw cut or punched hole in the sleeve. CDs and cassettes will also have saw cuts in the plastic cases.

Funnily enough, I'm listening right now to a "cut-out" cassette of the Teddy Charles Tentet. Really, it's a CD I made from the cassette and I'm realizing I need to redo it. :(

John

In my youth back in the UK imported singles and albums were allways drilled thru with a hole and had a little "duty paid" sticker on them as far as i can remember.......i allways thought it was a silly thing to do as the hole went right thru the record sleeve and everything.............

I wonder about that. You'd think the "Duty Paid" sticker would be sufficient. Perhaps you were getting duty-paid imported cut-outs?

John

Celt, love the avatar. My wife took off for a couple of days and when she came back Monday I had followed through on a promise from a few years ago, she got a new door bell. Guess what it plays? Yes, she is referred to by some in the neighborhood as Mrs. Bucket.

(a clearly annoyed Hyacinth) It's Bouquet!!!

In my youth back in the UK imported singles and albums were allways drilled thru with a hole..

Ah-ha! That'll be why. The 45 in the pic was part of a job lot from ebay, the rest of which were UK issues. Though why it was necessary to import copies of this particular single given that UK issues were plentiful at the time I do not know. Forgive my ignorance, but are/were all US 45s manufactured with a big spindle hole?

Forgive my ignorance, but are/were all US 45s manufactured with a big spindle hole?

Not always. In the 50s Capitol made them with a pop-out center like the UK 45s had. They weren't the only ones, but you see those a lot if you are a record collector/hunter. But the first ones were made with the big hole, as the RCA 45 player was the first way to play "little records." Those were hugely popular, and eventually ( mid to late 50s) everyone made 45s with the big hole only. There were probably other exceptions, but for the overwhelming majority the big hole was king.

Forgive my ignorance, but are/were all US 45s manufactured with a big spindle hole?

You know, I was wondering that myself and have it in my head that I've seen 45 rpm records with a small hole but I don't know for sure. I think the idea for the big hole (and small diameter disc) was that they worked better in juke boxes. Small discs meant more storage and big holes meant easier auto-loading onto the "spinner".

John

You know, I was wondering that myself and have it in my head that I've seen 45 rpm records with a small hole but I don't know for sure. I think the idea for the big hole (and small diameter disc) was that they worked better in juke boxes. Small discs meant more storage and big holes meant easier auto-loading onto the platter.

John

Surprise surprise, Seeburg was one of the big early promoters of 45s - and at the time, their 100 selection Jukebox was the hot thing to have on location. Supposedly, the quick influx of record eating jukeboxes made 45 catch on.

IIRC, any of the Seeburgs will clamp a big or small hole 45, though the auto speed units will shift to 33 if they pull a small hole disc.

I think the big hole was to make the changer design easier - it got rid of the overarm and all, and remember the 45 came out at when pusher style record changers were still quite popular.

And legend has it, after the 33 came out, Sarnoff told his guys to come up with a system that wouldn't work with CBS's 33...

God does THAT bring back memories! :music:

When I was a youngster, I bought many 45 singles that way. The BB hole indicates overstock/cut out/remaindered status. A tip for those who have Seeburgs with the Dual Speed option. They can be disabled. I have one of my 3 AY-160 jukes set up this way for European 45 singles.

When I was a youngster, I bought many 45 singles that way. The BB hole indicates overstock/cut out/remaindered status. A tip for those who have Seeburgs with the Dual Speed option. They can be disabled. I have one of my 3 AY-160 jukes set up this way for European 45 singles.

Yeah, unplug the autospeed unit :)

The tube ones go up in smoke all the time anyway. Though I once saw one that actually DID work.

Back
Top Bottom