Nikko NR-1219 in the house!!!

rsfmotoman

I answered a CL ad yesterday for this old Nikko only to find out it was not working properly when I got there. He mentioned crackling when adjusting the volume knob and something about the protection light coming on. He just turned it off and called me on my way there. I bought some other gear while I was there and decided to take a stab at fixing this Nikko and he gave me a great deal on it.

$25

I took it home and gave the volume and balance pots a bath in DeOxit - worked like a charm!

:banana::banana::banana:

While I had the faceplate and knobs off I gave it a good cleaning. this Nikko is in fantastic condition. The faceplate, top, sides,and back are pretty much scratch free, almost like it was just taken out of the box.

Right now I have it hooked up to some EPI T/E 100's and it sounds pretty good.

:music:

NikkoNR-1219.jpg

Sorry for the watermark...it's an action that I use in Photoshop to resize all my pics for Facebook.

I've been eyeing one lately, but they want twice that for it... and it is DEAD (Why I do not know...). You did very well! :yes: Congratulations! :thmbsp:

Thanks for the comments.

I did not intend to belittle the sound of the Nikko. :no:

I very much like the sound of it, but before any raving on my part ensues I want to setup shootouts with my other gear. :scratch2:

What I can say after fiddling around with it today is I like where the tone controls and the loudness button are dialed in...the frequency ranges are perfect.

I will hook the Nikko up to some larger speakers soon.

Last edited:
I ran into a cherry one of those a few years back myself. I sold it, but not before it garnered an honor here for itself. In the last 20 years, out of the hundreds of receivers that have passed through here, it was the only one I was really curious about and hooked it up to the Carver Amazings. I listened to it for about 10 minutes like that.

I ran into a cherry one of those a few years back myself. I sold it, but not before it garnered an honor here for itself. In the last 20 years, out of the hundreds of receivers that have passed through here, it was the only one I was really curious about and hooked it up to the Carver Amazings. I listened to it for about 10 minutes like that.

Did it sound amazing?

That's an amazing story. :D

So how DID it sound?

Not as amazing as they sound with a lot more than 100 watts available to them. If it was kept low, it was okay, but a little grainy.

I think that is one of the nicest receivers that has graced this place. Certainly one of the most overlooked when compared to the allegiance here at AK to other Japanese manufacturers of the 70's.

There is something so inherently practical about Nikko equipment but at the same time it never looks boring to me.

I've been on the lookout for Nikko gear but haven't had much luck finding any.

Congrats on your get and enjoy. :music:

Pretty cool design department at Nikko: European starkness blended with the Japanese love of gizmos & controls=extremely nice look.

Nikko 1219 Protection Light

Hello all I know this thread is a bit old but rather than start a new one why not continue this. Especially since I have a question about the protection light.

I just picked up a Nikko 1219 for $50. Hooked it up to a pair of Sansui SP-2500 (80wpc). Sounded great but once I increase the volume the protection light kicks on and the sound cuts out. Then once I lower the volume the protection light turns off and then sounds comes back on. I am not hearing any crazy static from the volume knob. I know the speakers aren't quite up to the wattage the 1219 produces could that be causing the problem or would the Deoxit bath help clean up the signal and eliminate noise that might cause this unit to cut out?

Side note: using a sansui 2000X as a pre amp helped achieve a louder more balanced sound.

Probably the bias has drifted out of spec. I picked one of these up today and after a quick look it seems like a nice receiver to work on. Also check the power resistors near the transformer. There are test points on the board attached to the heatsink were you can check bias. (I have only looked inside of it for a minute so might be wrong)

Back
Top Bottom