Mullard date codes

vendo81

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Anyone good with the mullard date codes?
For the last 6 months I've been trying to organize my tubes so it's easy to locate what I'm looking for. I thought I'd gotten all of my better tubes organized and that all the boxes of tubes left to go through in storage were just the common ones. When I boxed these, which was at least 10-15 years ago I guess I didn't care about Mullard 12AX7's or I would have put them in a different box. I found a few of these mixed in with common tubes. A couple were made for Eico. The Eico tubes have 161 on top and B2D2 on the bottom. The others have MC1 on top and B7A on the bottom. Wondering if anyone can date these.
I've been printing out pages with date codes for various brands of tubes but I have gotten conflicting and sometimes confusing results on the web for Mullard tubes so I thought I'd ask.

Attachments

• mullard.jpg
    mullard.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Mullard rear.jpg
    Mullard rear.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
One day I'll get my tubes organized better, but I have a few old Mullards to check out. I'm pretty sure some are late 50s early 60s, but it'd be nice to label boxes for them or at least list them on paper better. :yes:

One day I'll get my tubes organized better, but I have a few old Mullards to check out. I'm pretty sure some are late 50s early 60s, but it'd be nice to label boxes for them or at least list them on paper better. :yes:

Hi Spaceman...Yes it's nice to keep track of at least the better tubes.
I've been putting the organizing off for way too long. I want to have the power, rectifier and driver tubes in their separate areas and the others put in alphabetical order. It will be nice to finally find something I'm looking for. I'm tired of buying tubes and later seeing that I had several of them hidden away in a dusty box. :yes:

Yes, the Elec. Instr. Co.
I'm unsure[ never seen} the others
someone will chime in, alot of the
connoisseurs from here are night owls,
must be musicians.
wild guess[ only a guess] would be Matsushita Jan,1977

Damn, I take that back.I could'velooked so smart.

I'll say Mitchell plant 1957

Thanks..I knew they wern't made in Japan as they say "Made in Gt. Britain" on them and have the Mullard seamed top. I was guessing the 50's as well but couldn't decipher the code.

Attachments

• Mullard2.jpg
    Mullard2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 22
Here's a good site for euro tube code info. Karsten has personally answered some questions I've had on date codes, so feel free to e-mail him....:thmbsp:

The EICO labeled ECC83 was produced at the Blackburn England facility during the second week of April 1962.

The other was also produced at the Blackburn England facility in January of 1957. Long plate type.

. . Falcon

Yeh, I'm gonna organize my tubes someday, as soon as I get my desk organized.:D

Last edited:
I just picked up three Mullard ECC83/12AX7s, which have BVA in an oval underneath the tube designation, with "Made in Great Britain" below that. The data on all three read:
I61
B3D4
They look and test NOS. All three have ribbed plates and opposing raised seams on top.
Any idea when and where they were manufactured?

Here's a good site for euro tube code info. Karsten has personally answered some questions I've had on date codes, so feel free to e-mail him....:thmbsp:

Thanks analog addict! The Tube classics website is what I was looking for when I searched for the Mullard tube dates. Great website.... I'll email him with my questions :D

I just picked up three Mullard ECC83/12AX7s, which have BVA in an oval underneath the tube designation, with "Made in Great Britain" below that. The data on all three read:
I61
B3D4
They look and test NOS. All three have ribbed plates and opposing raised seams on top.

From what I was told earlier on my Eico labeled tubes they look to be made at the Blackburn England factory on April 4th of 1963. The 161 is for the ECC83/ 12AX7 tube... Don't take my word for this though as I'm new to this Mullard code dating as well :scratch2:

Jay your going to need to make that new back covered place a tube library for all those tubes.

From what I was told earlier on my Eico labeled tubes they look to be made at the Blackburn England factory on April 4th of 1963. The 161 is for the ECC83/ 12AX7 tube... Don't take my word for this though as I'm new to this Mullard code dating as well :scratch2:

As I'd mentioned once before, it was actually the second week of April 1962 for the EICO labeled tubes.

I61
B3D4

The fourth week of April 1963 in the Blackburn England facility.

. . Falcon

Back
Top Bottom