• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cone repair possible? JBL-CF120 (pics inside)

fdejong

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi,

So something got bumped into the woofer of this JBL CF120 speaker. I know surrounds can be replaced, but anyone know anything about repairing a tear like this?

Material appears to be paper - the back is almost paper mache like.

Also, are these worth repairing / saving? They're huge & they sound good to me, but would value your opinions. Thanks!

jbl.jpg

jbl1.jpg

jbl2.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Below are samples of what a google search of the AudioKarma website can yeild:

Speaker Cone tear- repair - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo ...11 posts - 11 authors - Last post: Jan 29, 2008
When I've had to repair a cone I use watered down glue so its easier to apply with a small watercolor size brush. ...
www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142612 - Similar

Repairing a torn paper cone/speaker - AudioKarma.org Home Audio ...8 posts - 6 authors - Last post: Nov 27, 2005
It's made to survive hand washing and gentle cyle washing with stretchable fabric. It does work well with speaker cone repair. ...
www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53002

Click on the blue highlighted links and start your wonderful, rewarding journey into speaker repair.

You can find the google search by clicking on the search drop down menu on the toolbar. Type in your key work in the google search bar and click go.
 
Thanks Tensleep - should have searched better to begin with. Sounds like it's totally possible & not too hard.

Since it doesn't seem like a major tear, I might just try softening up the material with a glue/water mixture and try to to get them to bond/fuse together again.

I'll prob. try tomorrow and post some pictures of my results if people are interested.
 
That's a killer macro pic btw. Love that stuff.

Thanks! But I can do better, that's quick and dirty handheld and in a rush.

I'll setup the tripod and get some good shots of the repair. Hpefully my effort will do the pics jusice!
 
If you're inclined to do so, you may be able to get it reconed. It seems to be a popular fix for JBL drivers.
 
You should glue only from the back, so you don't have an a glaringly obvious repair. The tear is not large enough that you would need to reinforce it with anything.

Good luck!
 
Thanks - I might need it.

Also, looking at this woofer more, I'm very surprised by its quality for such a low-mid range speaker. The woofer frame seems a cut above the stamped metal woofers I usually see.
 
Thanks - I might need it.

Also, looking at this woofer more, I'm very surprised by its quality for such a low-mid range speaker. The woofer frame seems a cut above the stamped metal woofers I usually see.

Its imitating the higher end cast frame JBL woofers like this LE14
IMG_1934.jpg
 
So, my effort are done.

See the first post for the 'before' shots, and below is 'after'.

I decided to just push the tear together to realign the pressed paper in the cone and then dampen the area slightly and apply elmers glue. The cone seems to have come together quite well, and the repair seems quite strong while looking better than a patch.

I'll keep an eye on it to see how it holds up, but so far so good.

jblfixed.jpg

jblback.jpg

jbldone1.jpg
 
Se you've already done the repair. I was going to suggest using a C-Clamp and two small blocks of wood with wax paper to flatten things out wihile the glue dries. Since you used Elmers glue, it can usually be resoftened with some water for a second shot.
 
Back
Top Bottom