Pioneer RT-1020L /Deal ?

tankdonovan

Senior AK Member
Well, I have had the RTR fever for a few weeks now. Been watching eBay and biding[on Teacs], but until today with no success. Today I won a Pioneer RT-1020L. I didn`t think I would get it. I put in a low bid and I won. I know nothing about it. Is it a good model? I don`t think anything comes with it.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5718202485&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

Thanks for any info you guys can give.

Tank

They're nice RTRs; I have one.

It's nice as a first deck, but it will get you lusting for more; I'm thinking later model Teac or Akai w/10 1/2" capabilities. RTRs did get better as time went on.

So far my deck is fine. Sound quality drops off in the 3 3/4 speed (40-12,000 +/- 3dB) vs. 7 1/2" (40-20,000 hZ), so you'll probably want to use the faster speed.

One thing I did notice is that you didn't get the NAB hubs, so you'll be limited to small (7") reels until you get some. That's too bad because they'll run you at least $30+ for a set.

If you have any questions, or want a copy of the Operating Manual, let me know.

Congrats and welcomr to RTR world!

Andyman, thanks for the info.

NAB hubs? This thing uses 10 inch reels? I didn`t know that.

Yes, I can use a Manual. I know nothing about it, so that would help alot.

Tank

No problem. PM me your addy and I'll get it out.

Here's a link to another auction that shows the 10 1/2" reels and the NAB adapters. No affiliation, of course.

RT-1020L Auction

BTW, are you getting a power cord? None of the photos look like it's powered up and there's none connected in the back shot, although there is some sort of cord behind it in the first.

Last edited:
Not sure if you noticed the deck is set for 220 volt and 50 hz.:rolleyes:
Be sure to ask the seller if it has a voltage-selector.

Great eye, TX!

According to my manual, it should be adjustable. There's a whole page on what to do to set it to 110V, 60 Hz.

He'll have to pull the back panel, switch a voltage selecter pin switch, and flip a couple toggles and the drive belt pulleys.

More work than flipping a single rear mounted switch, but still do-able.

Great Andy:)
The reason why I noticed the outlet, had the same thing with a Sony a gentleman bought from E-boy and didn't work right.
Was set for 220 and 50 hz, but a pulley for the capstan-motor made it spin too fast.:mad:
Live and learn:D

The auction read:

"This auction is for a vintage Pioneer RT-1020L reel-to-reel tape recorder in good operating and cosmetic condition".

If it`s in good operating condition maybe someone has already changed it over to 110. Or they just flat out lied!

Yes, live and learn!

TD:
I wondered about that too. How can they know it's in good operating condition w/o the power cord?
Maybe they just pulled it for the pics.
Maybe.
Let us know.

NAB adapters?

Are all 10 1/2in. NAB adapters the same? Or is there ones just for certain brands like Pioneer? Will Teac adapters fit a Pioneer RTR? Are not all holes in the 10 1/2in[for 1/4in tape] reels the same size? They look the same. I really don`t have a clue.

Thanks for any info you guys can give.

Tankdonovan

There is different kinds, Pioneer adaptors are more high priced, same was used on RT-901 and RT-909 models.
You can use Teac's but they are not 100 % safe mounted, center-lock with Pioneer has a 3-legged springloaded to hold the hub in place.
Teac models use a treaded center piece that you tighten down.
Model: TZ-613. partsnr: 574 402 3200.

1/4 NAB reels are the same, just different ways to hold them in place. :)

The RT-1020L is due for delivery on Saturday 09/11/04.

Will it have a power cord or not?

Will it be 220 or 110?

Is it really in good condition or a piece of crap?

Did I get a deal or get a shaft?

Those are the questions.

Tankdonovan

Back in June I bought a piece of crap, same model and no pictures in the ad.
Auction was listed like this:
THIS UNIT IS BEING SOLD AS IS.ALL FUNCTIONS WORK.GREAT FOR MOVING PARTS.NO PLAYBACK SOUND WHEN TAPES BEING PLAYED.I THINK PLAY HEAD IS WORN OUT!UNIT WEIGHS ABOUT 40-50LBS. "

It arrived 2,5 month's later, rusty, no cord, non-working and mildew all over.:mad:
Paid $ 80.00 for that door-stop.:confused:

Took a chance, auction was almost over and just one bid, the last 2 minutes hell broke loose and I was the highest "lucky winner":p:

I asked those questions and got no answer. I do not bid if I get no answer, but it was in the last day and I broke my own rule. Maybe I`ll get lucky.

I`m not going to have to wait long to find out according to FedEx.[09/11/04]

I guess we all do dumb things from time to time.

Tank

Yes, I also broke my own rule doing the exact same thing:D
But mine is so bad condition, only a few parts can be used.

It`s Here!

Well, the RT-1020L was delivered today. Fast shipping. It was packaged real well. No shipping damage.

It looks real good after a little clean up. Maybe a 8 or 8 1/2 on the 1 to 10 scale.

The Heads look good, show hardly any wear.

No power cord. So I don`t know if it is 110 or 220 or even works. I have found power cords on the net but not sure where to pick one up at locally.

Well...., so far so good.

Later,
Tank

Last edited:
Is it a 2-prong or 3-prong AC outlet in back (I can't tell from the pic). I would assume you could use any computer AC power cord like the one for your monitor...RadioShack and Office Depot carry 'em.

Did you ever write back to the seller and ask again if it's 220V or 110V? Wonder if the seller even knows? You may have to take it in to a qualified local audio tech who works on tape machines first before trying to fire it up yourself, just in case. May set you back $50 or so, but for piece of mind it may just be worth it.

Good luck!

Tank:
The manual will be there in a few days. You can use it to check out what voltage it's set for.

The plug is 2 flat prong and thin, sort of like an older extension cord.

Just out of curiosity, how was it tested w/o a plug? I've used alligators on the end of a chopped cord; that would work short term for testing.

Back
Top Bottom