Repeatable VTA for Thorens Tone arms

Divotdog

"I can fix it Grampa"
I was asked in another thread to show my method of setting the VTA on these arms, I thought I would just start a new thread so it might be easier to find.

All you need to do this is a deck of cards and a 2mm allen wrench, you will find the allen head screws on the base of the TA at 12:00 and 3:00 as you are looking from the top front of the deck, shown here from the top, loosen these until you can slide the TA up and down in the collar,

attachment.php

Eyeball the TA until it is approximately level, slide the required amount of cards between the collar and the base of the TA, tighten the screws and take a listen.

attachment.php

You can repeat this and add or remove one or two cards at a time until you reach the desired sound, then either count how many cards you are using or measure the stack, you now have a repeatable measurement to work from rather than blindly moving the TA up and down!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Setup 001.jpg
    Setup 001.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,240
  • Setup 007.jpg
    Setup 007.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,226
  • Setup 006.jpg
    Setup 006.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,193
The TA is in the rest correct? When it's cued down will
it be level? Did I miss something? I picture the cart on a record when we set the arm level or is it all relative?

My TA was on the rest as I took that picture, as my VTA is already set, normally you would have it sitting on an LP, I was primarily trying to show the base end of the TA and how to get a repeatable measurement using the cards. :thmbsp:

The TA will adjust up or down if needed? I want the headshell parallel to th record. They always look angled down. (the TA)

The TA will adjust up or down if needed? I want the headshell parallel to th record. They always look angled down. (the TA)

Yes, the TA will adjust up and down, your 440Mla will like to be just a little tail down.

Yes, the TA will adjust up and down, your 440Mla will like to be just a little tail down.

So set the arm to be level then drop the back about .5mm or so. I will put a little bubble level on the arm, adjust, then tweak her down slightly.
Very nice Mel thank you!
Btw, your Thorens plynth is beautiful. Cool mat!

Hi Mel

With my arm lowered to a point where only two playing cards will fit in the gap, I still require shims/spacer on the headshell to get the arm level.

Lee

Here's a few pics.

You'll notice I have the arm quite low. Even with the 2mm spacer on the headshell, the arm is still maybe 1mm low at the headshell end.

Seems to be only the TP 16 arm that has this issue.

I'm happy with the sound with this set up, so I haven't bothered to adjust it further.

Lee

Attachments

• Pixies Pics 059.jpg
    Pixies Pics 059.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 552
  • Pixies Pics 061.jpg
    Pixies Pics 061.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 459
  • Pixies Pics 066.jpg
    Pixies Pics 066.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 458
  • Pixies Pics 067.jpg
    Pixies Pics 067.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 471
Timing is everything! This thread was posted today, apparently Thorens designed this arm to be run with some rather large spacers, it looks to me like they go up to at least 2.5mm and in reading the owners manual I see that they recommend stacking them if necessary. Mine came with spacers also (Originally), I didn’t bother trying to find any as they were not necessary in my set up, I will try to post some better pictures of my arm later, this was a great learning experience, I now have a far better understanding of the earlier arm. :yes:

Mel, a very helpful post with excellent pics, and if you don't mind I'd like to add this method (with playing cards) can also be used on many other turntables with adjustable arm height.

Thank you, I’m just passing on the knowledge that I learned here on AK, someone else told me about this method a couple of years ago on these boards, and yes it will work on a number of turntables, my Pioneer PL-600 comes to mind. :thmbsp:

Lee,
Just remember that it's more about the contact angle of the stylus rather than the cart body being level. The actual arm being level is a good starting point when starting this procedure. How does it sound? If it's thin and tinny and the VTA is that low, then yes something is going on. If it's bass is a bit over emphasized, then that would be par for the ass dragging.
I myself just wish that the VTA was a bit easier to dial in while actually listening to the TT.
Scott

Hey Scott,
I had a 1200 for awhile, nice tables, and I liked that VTA adjustment, but I think the next step is going to be a new arm on my Thorens, I like the Thorens arm well enough, but the VTA adjustment is rather unhandy, and the headshell limits your cart options somewhat, I have the TP-62 armwand.

Thanks for linking in "the nines" thread with pics of the original kit Mel.

Hopefully new Thorens owners will find the information gathered in this thread useful.

I know Ron and myself would have appreciated this when we first got our Thorens tables.

I hope that it helps someone Lee :D, It’s good to know that you can stack the shims without adversely affecting the sound of the carts.

Back
Top Bottom