thefragger
Certified Crazy.
Hot on the heels of my RH84 amp, and partially in preparation for my Gainclone build, sparked by this thread by Sam Cogley (I hope I'm not stepping on your toes!), I want to replicate the core of the Marantz 7 preamp.
I found this;
Then I checked my stock of iron, and found this;
AND it will fit perfectly into a recycled chassis I wanted to use for it, an old 2.4kW light dimmer...

Step 1, design the PSU!
I think the big green potted transformer might be a bit much for this preamp (I've calculated it's 500VCT secondary current at 500mA, where the schematic calls for 30mA) but there are some 120 to 240 step-up transformers on eBay that I should be able to source cheaply. Should I go for the gusto with the big one, or buy two small ones?

I found this;
Then I checked my stock of iron, and found this;
AND it will fit perfectly into a recycled chassis I wanted to use for it, an old 2.4kW light dimmer...
Step 1, design the PSU!
I think the big green potted transformer might be a bit much for this preamp (I've calculated it's 500VCT secondary current at 500mA, where the schematic calls for 30mA) but there are some 120 to 240 step-up transformers on eBay that I should be able to source cheaply. Should I go for the gusto with the big one, or buy two small ones?

Last edited:




I mean, adding up the heaters is easy stuff-- here's there current draw at this voltage, bingo bango.