• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is the biggest receiver ever made?

VintagePlus

Super Member
I have been on a hunt to figure out what the biggest vintage receiver ever made was. Pioneer sx-1980? Or were there larger receivers?
 
Register to hide this ad
No, it is not the SX-1980. It was the Technics SA-1000. It is the biggest, most powerful, rarest receiver their is!

Rated at 330wpc at 8ohms, it was and still is the most powerful receiver in the world. It also weighed 88lbs. Plus, you only see them for sale very rarely because less than a thousand were supposedly made.

Here it is on the vintage knob: http://www.thevintageknob.org/TECHNICS/SA1000/SA1000.html#
 
DEFINITELY the biggest....

I think this one has them all beat.
 

Attachments

  • Receiver.jpg
    Receiver.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 334
this one is in rhe running:banana:
G33k.jpg


G33ka.jpg
 
The Sansui G33000 is 100 pounds and the
but the Hitachi SR-2004 has 400 watts

bye bye Technics
 
Last edited:
400 Per channel "class G amp"

"High Fidelity" Magazine, reviewed it and said it was capable of dynamic peaks over 400 watts/ch
 
Last edited:
WOW..those GIANT receivers are beautiful! I don't think I ever knew anybody that owned one of those beauties. I bet they cost more than most cars back then. :eek:
 
This is not to say I would not love to own the SA-1000 but for pure size I think the Sansui wins and the Hitachi performs at power levels that would compete with any monster receiver .

but due to this thread being about size I think the Sansui beats the Technics by 12 lbs
 
The Sansui G33000 is 100 pounds and the
but the Hitachi SR-2004 has 400 watts

bye bye Technics

400w total? technics is 660w total.

The Hitachi SR-2004 is rated at 200wpc a channel, and 400 watts total. Those are factory ratings. The SA-1000 was rated at 330wpc and 660 watts total by the factory.

Yes the Hitachi could do peaks of 400 wpc a channel, but the SA-1000 I've read (but don't remember where I read it) could do peaks of 475wpc a channel. Yet the Technics could maintain its THD rating of 0.003 at any power range.

But hey, I sure would like to have a Hitachi. It has all those meters. :yes:
 
The rating scale changes once you introduce 4ohm loads. That technics SA-1000 comes to mind immediately ..... With a 4ohm load you only gain 60 watts.
 
The rating scale changes once you introduce 4ohm loads. That technics SA-1000 comes to mind immediately ..... With a 4ohm load you only gain 60 watts.

That of course was the compromise of the giant recievers, trying to pack a high current amp into a receiver chassis with out overheating everything. It makes it impossible to give the specs of a good seperate power amp, one that can double, or nearly double it's wpc into 4 ohm loads.
Having said this, I'm sure they still sound very nice and powerful enough for most situations, but they won't give you the ultimate power a seperate amp can.
Still, gotta love those monster 'ceivers!!!:thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom