8080db....safe to run 4 ohm + 8ohm speakers?

sleepyweasel

I recently picked up some cerwin vega AT-15's and My g-7700 does like them(hope I didn't damage it) but thats another story.

I was thinking of hooking them up to the 8080db and run them with a set of 8ohm sp-x9700's.....

I would run both the at-15's and the 9700's at the same time.

As i understand it, the 8080db puts the speakers in series, so this would be seen as a 12ohm load????

Would like to hear your thoughts before I lug the at-15 up two flights of stairs as they weigh in at 90lbs each:sigh:

Are you sure the 8080db puts them in series?

The combined impedance of the two pairs of speakers in parallel would be less than 4 ohms... so it would not be a recommended combination.

The 8080DB and 9090DB are unique in that they put the speakers in series. It will see them as a 12 ohm load and should be able to run both pairs provided there are no other issues with the amp. Keep in mind how old this piece is. Its a good idea to be sure the bias current and dc offset are set correctly and hold adjustment. I would still monitor the temperature of the heat sink on the back to make sure it's not getting too hot.

- Pete

Very cool feature....

This should make the x0x0DB's preferred receivers for folks intending to run a stacked speaker setup.

Very cool feature....

This should make the x0x0DB's preferred receivers for folks intending to run a stacked speaker setup.

Actually, it is the one thing I don't like about my 9090DB.
When I ran 4 speakers with it, 1 pair was running off an 8080DB fed from the pre-outs of the 9090DB.

Rob

I ended up keeping the at-15 with the g-7700, but I wire them up with some sp-3700a in series because the 3700a's were reading about 5.6 ohms and the at-15 about 3.6.....anyways it ended up at 8.4 ohms, and seems to be working fine:banana:

Very cool feature....

My understanding is any load over 8ohms will decrease the overall "power" or wpc.

Anyone know if the 8080/9090 NON-DB put them in series? and what about a 7070?

Higher resistance loads, will decrease power output. The 8080DB is an 85 wpc amp. Plenty of power for a home set up.

The down side of the 9090DB/8080DB series speaker arrangement, is the speaker crossovers are placed in series. The signal to the second set must pass through the crossover of the first set. That can alter the sound characteristics of the speakers.

- Pete

The down side of the 9090DB/8080DB series speaker arrangement, is the speaker crossovers are placed in series. The signal to the second set must pass through the crossover of the first set. That can alter the sound characteristics of the speakers.

- Pete

A very important detail, which I had conveniently overlooked.

Back
Top Bottom