DIY Recording Cleaning Machine - working model!

Tarl Of Gor

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Finally completed a working model of a DIY record cleaning machine. Actually, it works so good I may not worry about making it purty looking.

The only things I used was a $5 ice cream maker motor, a spindle and platter from a free Pioneer turntable, an $80 VPI tube and wand assembly from elusivedisc.com, some vacuum hose from Home Depot for around $6, and 5/8" plywood.

Because of the type of spindle I really couldn't tie the platter and ICM motor directly together. So I used some gears from a Ford F150 spare tire lift - it was laying in my junk pile. And talk about torque!

I didn't incorporate a vacuum in the box. I'm just going to use my shop vac that I have. I have a hose running from the bottom of the VPI tube over to a fitting that goes through the inside of the box. Then I just stick the hose from the shop vac onto what's sticking out on the outside. The record hold down is a large bearing installer that I have at my shop. Hey, it works!

The box is only 16" square and 6" high. And doesn't weigh very much. Pretty simple RCM.

I had a Nazareth No Mean City LP that I wouldn't play because it popped and clicked so bad. So I cleaned it just to see the difference. DAMN! It is amazing how this record sounds now!

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

I used the gears from the spare tire lift. I epoxied one of the gears directly to the motor and the other gear is just stuck to the spindle because it had a magnet on the bottom of it.

and a few more

Attachments

• rcm7.jpg
    rcm7.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 187
  • rcm8.jpg
    rcm8.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 222
  • rcm9.jpg
    rcm9.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 298
  • rcm10.jpg
    rcm10.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 167
There ya go Scott! Now put some waterproofing and paint on her and you`ve got it.

Can you talk more about the gears? I don't understand what they are or what they were used for in the truck.

On the newer Ford trucks there is a lift for the spare tire - you use a handle that sticks in it and you can lower and raise the spare tire. The gears came from the inside of one of those. The only reason I used those was because of the spindle that I had from a newer plastic Pioneer linear tracking TT.

Back
Top Bottom