Hooking up multiple receivers to one set of speakers

dmcol01

Rather than switch between multi set of speakers I would like to switch between multi receivers to one set of speakers. Is anyone doing this using some type of switch box...? Can an Adcom GFS-6 or something like it be hooked up in reverse to accomplish this? Thanks for any input!

Great question, I was wondering the same thing. I've looked at speaker selectors at Ratshack and CC, but most have some type of overload protection. So I was wondering if it would actually work in reverse due to this protection.....one set of speaks on the main in and multiple receivers. Just getting tired of unhooking speakers everytime I wanna switch receivers.

I don't know about switch boxes.... would they not muddy up the sound?

If one hooked up 2 amps to one pair of speakers, what would happen? And if both amps were on, what would happen?

Hmmmmmmm...........

If you hook two amplifiers to one set of speakers the amplifier putting out a signal will drive that signal back into the other amp. Failure of both amplifiers is a reasonable expectation.

If one hooked up 2 amps to one pair of speakers, what would happen? And if both amps were on, what would happen?
:yikes:

....actually, if BOTH amps used protection relays to completely disconnect the speakers, you MIGHT get away with doing this. However, I say this for technical reasons ONLY. Overall it is a bad idea, and there are too many variables to be certain of before making an assumption that it would work. Easiest just to say that it's not safe.

Cool, now we know not to hook two amps to one set of speakers, but anyone know about using the speaker selector in reverse????

Thanks you guys for getting a discussion going...there must be some of you out there using a switching device...I mean what's the fun of having all these receivers if you can't easily switch between them. I've got 4 receivers in a wood cabinet (one per shelf vertically) that look great but I don't what to get behind and switch wires...I want to be able to A-B them.

I don't understand how there can be a problem of the signal from one amp getting to another amp causing damage using a switching device. You push button 1 and Amp 1 and the speakers are connected...you push button 2 and Amp 2 and the speakers are connected etc etc. What am I missing?

I'm actually already going this in the living room with a simple A-B switch sharing one set of speakers between my TV (using its internal AMP) and a receiver. It works great...haven't had any problems. Switch to A watch TV with the one set of speakers...switch to B listen to the receiver with the one set of speakers.

Since the A-B switch in the living room setup is just mechanical with no resistors what I was really wanting the poop on is these switch boxes with the protection circuit built in such as the Adcom GFS-6...would a reverse hookup work or would the signal be blocked?

Check eBay for an Audio Authority model 410 amplifier switcher. This unit allows you to switch between 16 different amps/receivers while utilizing just one pair of speakers. If you do find one make sure it includes the orange screw terminal blocks at the rear of the unit. These terminal blocks are definately needed and are where the speaker wires make connection. I'm just mentioning that little tidbit because when I bought mine (from eBay) those were missing and I had to contact Audio Authority for replacements. Luckily, they still stocked them but shoot, that was like 5 years ago. Anyway, there will be four of those. Also, make sure the power transformer is included.

Like I said, I've been using the Audio Authority model 410 amp switcher for 5 years now. It's perfectly safe and takes nothing away from the listening experience. These units are/were used in dealer showrooms to help salesmen sell their audio gear and allow buyers to audition said gear in a more efficient manner.

Again, Audio Authority model 410 Amplifier Switcher.

http://www.audioauthority.com

800-322-8346

The Series 4 switchers are older units but fit the vintage scheme very nicely. Audio Authority has very good service and support.

DB

PS. I used to have that Niles Audio DPS-1. A fine unit indeed but it's only capable of switching two amps/receivers. I quickly out grew that unit.

Last edited:
Thanks so much Drybasement...that's a cool unit! I'll try and run one down...How many amps/receivers are you running through yours?

Originally posted by dmcol01
Thanks so much Drybasement...that's a cool unit! I'll try and run one down...How many amps/receivers are you running through yours?

You're welcome. Yeah, it's a cool unit. Brushed aluminum front that contrasts quite nicely with the black selector buttons. This is quality gear and sold for nearly $400 new. I'd post a pic but it would appear that function isn't working at the moment. I did post a pic of my gear a few months ago. You might try and do a search.

I did a search on eBay and none of those older Audio Authority switchers are being auctioned at the moment. Just keep checking. One is bound to turn up.

Oh, I'm only running four units through it at the moment. I don't have room for anything else.:(

Anyway, I hope you find one. And if you do, give me a shout.

DB

PS. Long time forum member BeatleFred has one of these units as well. You could PM him or he just may show up in this thread. Who knows.

Here's a link to a completed auction.

Fyi dmcol01,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64596&item=5721156698&rd=1

Notice the pics. More specifically, the rear end shots. See the orange terminals? Notice how one is missing on both units. Make sure you got them all if you do decide to bid on one.

I just put a bid on a model 430 speaker comparator in another auction. I don't have an immediate need for one but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. I like to be proactive. :D

DB

Drybasement,
I was looking at these pics earlier today and trying to figure out how the hookup of multi receivers and one pair of speakers is done if you just use the 410...seems like the the 410 ribbon cables to the 431. I don't know, kinda hard to tell. Can you fill me in? :confused: These look like premo units. Thanks Dmcol01

Originally posted by dmcol01
Drybasement,
I was looking at these pics earlier today and trying to figure out how the hookup of multi receivers and one pair of speakers is done if you just use the 410...seems like the the 410 ribbon cables to the 431. I don't know, kinda hard to tell. Can you fill me in? :confused: These look like premo units. Thanks Dmcol01

Yeah, it's confusing isn't it. The ribbon cable is only needed if you're using the 430/1 in conjunction with the 410 thereby connecting the two together. Makes for a nice setup. But.....and I forgot to mention this....

If you're using the 410 as a stand-alone there's a 4 wire pigtail cable that should be included (DON'T FORGET TO ASK). This cable breaks out the left and right connections to your speakers. See where the ribbon cable connects....this pigtail connects in there as well.

I believe Audio Authority still stocks this stuff. If it got to that point you could contact them. I posted the number. Tell them you're asking about the Series 4 Amplifier Comparator model 410.

DB

Last edited:
Hmmm years ago I wired my dad's appartment for sound in dang near every room. I used DPDT switches and by the time I was done no one but me could make sense of the mess :D

But it did work. I hooked the amp to the center post and the speakers to the outside posts. I used 2 switches per pair and staged some to give more options. These days it would have been called a switch matrix.

You could do the same with one set of speakers to several amps.

Other than parastitics in the switches, was this somehow dangerous? I can't see how...

Now if there is protection circuitry I can understand some possible problems

If fact I could see going from multiple amps to multiple speakers, but without some fancy way to load unused amp outputs, that could get very dangerous...

Back
Top Bottom