My brand new, old Coral BX-1s

Seattle-area Craigslist watchers will recognize these from about a week ago. I wasn't the first to respond, but after a couple of no-shows/flake-outs, the seller - a very polite and friendly guy - let me know when it was my turn.

I was interested in them for their style but also as an addition for my basement set-up, (as they reportedly worked), but the seller had them hooked up and ready to audition when I arrived and to my surprise they sounded pretty good - particularly when sitting in their somewhat limited sweet spot.

A cool feature is the pushbutton equalization: your choice between "Sharp, Hi-Fi, Sweet and Soft". Hi-Fi sounds by far the best, the other settings mute various combinations of lows/mids/highs.

Take a look:

corals.jpg

Real walnut veneer!
coral5.jpg

coral6.jpg
coral4.jpg
coral8.jpg
coral3.jpg
coral7.jpg
coral2.jpg

Fire Coral.......ie.... HOT.................

Howdy, enricosonic..... I gotta say, those are the coolest, vintage speaker cabinets I think I've ever seen here at AK.....or anywhere........

I love the way the two different fabrics contrast....those are beautiful!

What, please, would be the driver complement?...... any other details thirsted after......

Congrats.......willhowl:drool::thmbsp::yes:

PS I read the backplate with a magnifying glass..........12" and the little horn..... cool!

What tboat said, supercool, now you just need an early 60s clock behind it and a Peggy Lee poster. :)

$85.00 ?

Eighty five dollars if my memory serves me correctly ? Those look awesome.
Congrats ! :thmbsp:

Thanks all - they are in much better shape than I expected with only a little finish loss on the base of the left one.

Eighty five dollars if my memory serves me correctly ? Those look awesome.
Congrats ! :thmbsp:

Thanks - thats right - $85, pretty much makes 'em my best-ever craigslist find, considering their condition.

Those look to be in great condition. They would be groovy in a mid-century modern home. Nice score.

My house is 90+ years old and it's hard to hide it's craftsman look but my basement was finished in the early 60s - that's where they're going :thmbsp:.

Those things are sweet, have you listened to them yet? I am curious to know the difference the buttons make, how do they sound as sharp, hi fi, sweet, and soft?

Edit: should have read your post, got too excited by the pictures!

Those are great looking! Those push button tone settings remind me of the old Chrysler pushbutton transmissions. Will you post pictures once you get 'em worked into your decor?

Those are some unique and sharp looking speakers. Great score as you already know that. Have fun and report back with listening tests.

I've seen some 60's vintage Pioneer speakers that had a similar styling theme and it was not unusual for them to have the metal horn tweeters mounted from the front. That Coral horn tweeter is definitely one of the coolest looking I've seen though. This model looks like the original model that gave rise to the other Coral Kabuki BX series speakers that followed. Sadly it was only Coral's premium full range drivers that seemed to offer really good sound quality and that are highly sought after by collectors today.

On the other hand these look so cool it would be well worth replacing the drivers and cross-overs with far better sounding, more modern units. The horn tweeter alone is likely worth keeping in the mix.

Who cares what they sound like...as other have said and I concur...the coolest looking vintage speakers I've ever seen.

Some guys have all the luck!

I agree with everyone else. These are the some of the coolest looking speakers I have ever seen. I would pick up a set just for the looks. WOW!

Those are beautiful. The Gods were definitely smiling on you. How much do they weigh?

Back
Top Bottom