Thorens TD-180 in the house!

jleon92f

Addicted Member
I have the TD-180 here and need to see if it actually works.

More, tomorrow.

Thanks,
John.:music::D

Power supply, is it a 16v AC adapter? So that means the 120v AC wall current is brought down to 16v AC by the adapter.

I am use to DC adapters, 12v Etc.

Trying to get the TD-180 spinning.

Thanks,

Last edited:
The original NES used a AC to AC adapter. Its rare but I've seen them.

Thanks, I picked up a bell transformer from the hardware, 120v AC to 16v AC.

I am using my Variac to test the motor 1st. No sense in buying a power supply if the motor is shot.

Soldering an adapter as we speak.

Thanks,

Interesting table John, what do you think of that arm as compared to the earlier arms?

Hard to say, the motor looks bad on this one. The light shines on the cell but not motor action? The arm looks nice, kind of chinsy.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I'm very interested in hearing how this one performs, because we don't hear much about them on AK. Any idea what the tonearm is made of? How about the approximate year this is from?

I'm very interested in hearing how this one performs, because we don't hear much about them on AK. Any idea what the tonearm is made of? How about the approximate year this is from?

It won't be performing any time soon. Motor is Kaputz. The rest is nice. I think it is from 1996?

Not 100% on that.

Arm is some kind of dark metal.

Thanks,

It won't be performing any time soon. Motor is Kaputz. The rest is nice. I think it is from 1996?

Not 100% on that.

Arm is some kind of dark metal.

Thanks,

Ah, dark metal, most coveted of all materials for tonearms... :D

I *think* (I'll check) that this is a common problem on this model, and my friend has at least a half-dozen of these around while he looks for after-market motors that may be compatible. I'll see what he's found out, if anything.

je

I *think* (I'll check) that this is a common problem on this model, and my friend has at least a half-dozen of these around while he looks for after-market motors that may be compatible. I'll see what he's found out, if anything.

je

And I think (but I'm not sure) that this is where the reputation of Thorens started to go downhill. However, I wonder if in some cases, like this model, that's just because of a common problem like motor failure, but the turntable actually might have some potential. Or maybe not. I'd really like to know, but like he said, it won't be up and running any time soon. :boring:

Oh, well, the TD180 was introduced in the early 90s as low budget model. And while it wasn't really a bad table as such, I'd nevertheless rather recommend people intested in buying a Thorens to consider at least a TD104/105, 114/115 or 280 instead.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I had a TD-180 for a while,and even after changing out the belt,it still sounded a little slow to me,but the strobe had it reading right on,so probably just my ears.I wasnt impressed at all with the build quality,and the cueing lever looked and felt like a piece of clothes hanger.
But with the Stanton 500 it came with,it sounded pretty good.Better than it looked,thats for sure.
Jimmy

je

Thank you, The motor replacement is fairly easy.:scratch2:

Thanks,

And I think (but I'm not sure) that this is where the reputation of Thorens started to go downhill. However, I wonder if in some cases, like this model, that's just because of a common problem like motor failure, but the turntable actually might have some potential. Or maybe not. I'd really like to know, but like he said, it won't be up and running any time soon. :boring:

The rest of the TD-180 looks OK. Nice big bearing and the rest of the system works OK. Moved by hand. I wouldn't mind bringing this one back from the Dead!

Arm works smooth, nice balance.

Thanks,

Good luck with your endevour!
Regards,
Jim

Back
Top Bottom