Pickering TL 3 cartridge

tboner

Hi

I came across one of these at a thrift store-assuming in will need a new stylus.

Worth spending 34.95 plus postage to get it ready to go??

Thanks,

TL

That is a pretty nice cartridge. I just picked up a Pickering XV-15/D400 that I plan on trying on my Technics TT. Before you invest money, try it or test the coil wtth an ohm meter. If it tests good, I would get a stylus for it. Playing with different combinations is part of the fun of vinyl for me

Welcome to AK, by the way.

Last edited:
Don't test it with an ohmmeter--the high voltage can destroy the coils. Most cartridge bodies don't go bad. But...this cartridge is only as good as the stylus you put in it. There were excellent stereohedron styli that will set you back well over $100--they will make this cartridge something special. But with a typical aftermarket elliptical replacment styli, such as those at lpgear, this is just an average cartridge. By the time you pay for this body and the stylus you will have paid far more than it is worth. If you specifically want a decent p-mount cartridge, go for the AT-92ECD on ebay for $24 shipped. You'll never beat a deal like that, and it's a decent cartridge.

I've got several of the Pickering TL series p-mount carts, and also two of the corresponding Stanton L7x7 series. I got a pair of DTL-2 stylii for a good price at Garage-a-Record's web site, but I see they are now sold out. I also got a pair of NOS Stanton D74S stylii ($99 each, shipped) via eBay, and they are something special.

What is your intended use of the Pickering TL? Do you have other p-mount cartridges?

Hi all and thanks for the input. Actually, I didn't realize it was a P-Mount, while I have several TT's , none use a P-Mount.

TL

It might have been in an adaptor, which is why it wouldn't look like a p-mount. You could use it that way on a 1/2 inch mount arm. The Pickering XV15 is the same cartridge in a 1/2 inch mount version with metal mounting ears on the top, as is the Stanton 680 & 681.

Back
Top Bottom