Nakamichi BX-1 score!! Info wanted

wal66666

Hi guys im new to the Tape forum mostly because I have never had an intrest in cassette... Until now

I was in a local junk shop that I havent been to foe a long time, browsing around his piles of junk I found a nakamichi BX-1 in mint condition,

How much I asked, $50 he said. OK put that in my maby pile.

I dont know anything about value of any tape gear but I bought it anyway.
The first thing I noticed was how smootly it operated no clunks or clicks like other cheap decks I have had and after hearing it I am sure I done the right thing.

So my question is, Are these well regarded?

Hi
Welcome to the world of tapes
In my opinion Nakamichi is the most beatifull machines in the whole world
Very reliable, soft mechanism, and a very warm and fantastic sound
I have almost 35 decks (Pioneer, Technics, Teac, etc) 4 of them are Nakamichi, and every time i found another i buy it for shure !!!
Here in Argentina is so hard to find Nakamichi but i keep on looking !!!!!
Enjoy it !!!
Manuel

Namagichi, Nakahoochie, whatever they're called are absolute junk. Why would you even share the same air it's stored in? That Pawn shop dealer had you.

Look, I feel sorry for you. I'll send you a box with a prepaid shipping to me. I'll get rid of it for you. :smoke:

There are several sites dedicated to Nak equipment. And here there is NakDoc (I think I got that right). You might PM him.

And I have received good information from Fred Longworth here. He has a repair business and is knowledgeable of these machines too. His name is his moniker.

wal666, for the best sound, clean and keep clean the tape heads using 91% iopropyl alcohol on q-tips.
it also can't hurt to get a tape demagnetizer and demagnetize the heads every once in a while.

wal666, for the best sound, clean and keep clean the tape heads using 91% iopropyl alcohol on q-tips.
it also can't hurt to get a tape demagnetizer and demagnetize the heads every once in a while.

Good advice!

There is also a technique of wet demagnetizing. Soak a cotton pad and demagnetize at the same time. If the head has a physical gap this can dislodge any oxide that has worked into the gap.

Sorry to steal some of your thunder wal but I just found one today as well for $15... in excellent condition.

rt02mr.jpg

Dear goodness. The thing just sings. I think I like it even better than the Akai GX-M50 I've got that I thought was just the bee's knees a while ago. It's really bring cassettes alive like nothing I've heard before. I think I'm beginning to understand the whole Nak draw now...

I had a LX-3 but it didn't work and (not having heard one before) I just sold it for $20 to someone who thought they could fix it. I think I may have made a mistake now at least not looking at it to see if it was a belt issue or something.

A BX-1 is one of the most basic Naks- 2-heads, Sankyo transport, completely generic.

Yes, they sound OK, but one really needs to move into the 3-head machines to hear what a Nak can do.

But it's a good start!

....even the Nak 2-head machines outperform many other's 3-head and most others 2-head machines. Oddly, the Sankyo that the Nak is sourced from doesn't perform nearly as well. The head is not from Sankyo. .....or it was specially built for Nakamichi.

I still debate a zx-9, but I already have a dragon. Hek for that matter if I need to record something why not just use the computer then I can stream it to any of my other computers. But then I think the whole tape thing is just to cool, then I think I need a Tylenol. :nutz:

I picked up a Nak BX-100 for $9.99 at Goodwill a couple months back. I've seen a few more since then and just passed. They're nice decks, for sure, but the only good Naks are the big Naks.

Jimmy

IMG_5085.jpg

Wow. you guys got a good deal! I got robbed. I paid $299.00 for mine in 1982 dollars! That's $645.00 adjusted for inflation. Nice sound though, especially stuff I recorded but needs some luv now. Still works but probably needs alignment etc.

Last edited:
The BX1 and BX100 series decks are terrific decks I have my BX100 and works
great, sound great and that's all you need, Keep in mind the Naks decks out there
are getting older and harder to maintain the big units are beautiful but there's more
to go wrong on them and costly to maintain, so if you have one that works great
take care of it.

Tube

I bought a silver BX1 in the 80s, of all the cassette deck I had it made the best tapes. sold in before my move to fl, my friend had a belt kit installed and it still works as far as I know.

I passed on a broken Nakamichi BX-1 (Black) for ten dollars at my local Goodwill Electronics store yesterday. I tested it with a cassette and it never seemed to move. If had been 3-Head and/or a Dragon I would have bought it broken just to finally have a Nakamichi. A few months ago I got a 3-Head Lux and TEAC (with dbx). Still have my 3-Head H/K from the early 1981's. jcb

Just picked up a perfect condition, fully working low mileage CR-1 for $7. That's my best Nak deal based on sound condition per $.

Which Nakamichi - CR-2A or BX-100

I have a Nak CR-2A and recently found a Nak BX-100 I can get for pretty cheap. I don't need more than one, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever compared these decks or have an opinion about which one might sound better. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom