EchoWars Help! I need a replacement for the TA-100W IC

bob adams

I did an AK search on KA-9100s and I found a thread in which you compare the build quality of a Pioneer SX- 1250 with a Kenwood KR-9600. In your first post you said and I quote:

“…The KA-9100 integrated also uses a hybrid module output [the TA-100W]. ….. The downside is the unavailability of the module in the year 2003 should it fail for some reason. The upside is that, should you decide to do so, a discrete arrangement can be fabricated to replace a dead module, and there is a KR-9600 [uses the TA-200W I believe] up for auction right now on eBay where this has been done - although the seller says he knows nothing of it.”

My KA-8300 uses the same TA-100W IC that the Kenwood KA-9100 uses. If one could fabricate a discrete arrangement to replace the dead TA-200W IC on a KR-9600 could it be done for the TA-100W also?

A friend at work seems to think he has found a Sanyo IC that might possibly be used. He gave me the cut sheet on it today but I forgot to bring it home so I can’t give you the model number. What do you think? In the realm of possibility?

Last edited:
That's exactly the thread I was gonna look for.

Steve Coy is the man at Consolidated Electronics. Just be forewarned that...just because it shows up on the search, doesn't mean they have it.

In reveiwing the old thread GONZOTHEGREAT was going to try a pair of sankens.
Wonder what the outcome was?

If the PDF that you linked to is correct, then the S-100W is NOT pin-compatable with the original Kenwood IC.

TA-100WA
Pin 1 - NC
Pin 2 - V+
Pin 3 - Bias+
Pin 4 - Protect +
Pin 5 - Output
Pin 6 - V-
Pin 7 - Bias-
Pin 8 - Protect-
NC on the rest of the pins

S-100W
Pin 1 - NC
Pin 2 - V+
Pin 3 - Protect+
Pin 4 - Bias+
Pin 5 - Output
Pin 6 - NC
Pin 7 - V-
Pin 8 - Protect-
Pin 9 - Bias-
NC on the rest

Electrically it would work. Physically, we've got an issue.

Need to speak with them and see WTF. They list the TA-100WA, but link to the S-100W. And as I said, if the pinout of that PDF is correct, then a direct swap = sparks & chit...bye-bye $40 IC. :sadwave:

Last edited:
EW

Thank you for your research on pin configuration. You're a gentleman and scholar.

I sent Sales at Audio Labs of Georgia an email this morning. Gave them a link back to their S-100W schematic and then I did a cut and paste of your last post. Maybe they will get back to me.

I did a search at the Consolidated Electronics site for the TA-100W. The "page" that comes up lists both the S-100W ($25.00) and the TA-100W ($75.00) together as replacements. Like you said, even though they're listed, Consolidated may not have them. I may call them later today and ask. It would be nice if they had some links to pdf files for both schematics. That's probably wishing for the moon though.

Crap!! There's another problem I didn't catch the first time...the original Kenwood IC has the V/I limiter protection transistors built into the chip, wheras the Sanken only has pins to connect to an external V/I limiter circuit. So even if you wanted to 'kluge' it by hardwiring the pins due to the mismatch, an external V/I limiter would also have to be added.

Looking like a poorer solution all the time (but even then it might still be easier than building a discrete driver, output, and limiter).

Back
Top Bottom