Best CD/SACD player under $1000...any suggestions?

Sonance'84

moe.ron
Subscriber
Im currently in the market for a new "2 channel" cd/sacd player for $1000 or less and would enjoy some opinions from you guys. The main unit i am looking at so far is the Marantz SA8003. And, currently i use a Marantz VC6001, which sounds great. I really like the universal player, but i am deciding to put it in my bedroom, and buy a step up for the main listening room. I dont have any dvd-a or sacd's, but i think that the sacd route will be the way i go.

Does anyone know which format is going to prevail? I really like the marantz SA8003 from what i have read, but does anyone know other units that would be close to the quality of this one? Or better? I am NOT interested in universal players, just 2 channel cd/sacd players. thanks for the help!

Cory

Last edited:
If you're on a tight budget, I just ordered yesterday so I haven't seen it yet, the $179 deal ends 9/25/2009; Denon SACD :thmbsp:

It depends on what you want. Purist audiophiles like 2 channel SACD. There is a big price difference but these days, you may find decent 2 channel SACD in that price range.
5.1 channel SACD's are usually much cheaper from $100 to about $800 from Denons, Yamahas and even Marantz.

$1000 is a sensitive price area because it's much higher than most 5.1 SACD players yet below the expensive models starting at $1500 used prices like the Marantz SA-11S or SA-15S. I haven't heard too great things about the 8003 nor the 8260. Just opinions and my 2 cents.

I have a Marantz SA8001 which replaced a Marantz SA8260. Mine has worked flawlessly for the 15 months I've owned it, and it sounds wonderful. I'm sure the SA8003 carry-ons this tradition. My SA8001 has never failed to read a cd, sacd, cdr etc. and is built like a tank.
Regards,
Jim

Thanks for the replies!

just in case you dont know about the player i already have, here are the specs: http://us.marantz.com/Products/1929.asp

i would like something that is BETTER that this unit. i dont think that denon or the oppo that were mentioned are better than the vc6001. Besides, i DONT want another universal player. I would like a cd/sacd player without video circuitry. Also, im just looking for 2 channel cd playback since i already have this player that does multichannel. thanks for the suggestions though! keep em coming.

cory

Try look at the "new" Yamaha models CD-S2000 and CD-S1000, they are bough below the $1000 price point.

These both look very nice indeed! 33 lbs each...thats what im talking about! For some strange reason though, i tend not to go for yamaha gear. but these units have me thinking otherwise. i didnt know that they made quality products anymore. ill do some research. thanks!

cory

i didnt know that they made quality products anymore. ill do some research. thanks!

Somebody propperly got fired, guilty of sneeking those XX-S2000 units thru the bean counters office and into production :)

No, Yamaha has been making quality produckts all along. Just focusing on the multi channel market since the beginning of the 90's, only "accident" was the CDX-993 (1998) witch was a 240V only model.

In the pro market they are and have been among the top players since the mid 70's.

Try look at the "new" Yamaha models CD-S2000 and CD-S1000, they are bough below the $1000 price point.

were did you find these for under $1000.00 the places i have found they are $1999.00. i also may be interested if it can be had for under $1000.00.
thanks mark

were did you find these for under $1000.00 the places i have found they are $1999.00. i also may be interested if it can be had for under $1000.00.
thanks mark

i was wondering the same thing! i found the cd-s1000 for $1300 on crutchfield, and the cd-s2000 for $1999. The cd-s2000 would be the way to go, but for that money, i would just buy a marantz sa-15s2.

marantz sa8003 it is.

well, i decided to go with the Marantz SA8003 CD/SACD player. there is a brick and mortar marantz dealer in my area, and i was able to get a good deal on the unit. a better deal than i expected at least! they are the only authorized marantz reference dealer in nevada as well, so i was able to demo those pieces as well just for fun. :) anyways, i should have it monday or soon there after, so i will post first thoughts then.

cory

well, i decided to go with the Marantz SA8003 CD/SACD player. there is a brick and mortar marantz dealer in my area, and i was able to get a good deal on the unit. a better deal than i expected at least! they are the only authorized marantz reference dealer in nevada as well, so i was able to demo those pieces as well just for fun. :) anyways, i should have it monday or soon there after, so i will post first thoughts then.

cory
Can't imagine you not liking the Marantz Cory - I bought a Marantz DV4001 several months back and have been more than happy with it's video and audio quality!

Can't imagine you not liking the Marantz Cory - I bought a Marantz DV4001 several months back and have been more than happy with it's video and audio quality!

i actually use a vc6001 right now, which is identical to the dv6001(step up from dv4001), except its a 5-disc changer. the changer part is what im trying to get away from, but the sound is still amazing on the vd6001. im hoping that the sa8003 will sound even better.

cory

If your music system is also your AV system I highly recommend the new Oppo BluRay player, very good music output and plays almost everything out there including SACD and DVD-A.

If your music system is also your AV system I highly recommend the new Oppo BluRay player, very good music output and plays almost everything out there including SACD and DVD-A.

the sa8003 will be for my 2-channel music only setup that is in my signature. the player i have now is universal, which i will put in my home theater once the sa8003 arrives. i also have a playstation 3 in my HT setup, so i will probably hold off on getting a blu-ray player for a little longer. i like having a separate music and HT systems. i have only heard good thing about the oppo players though.

cory

cory

Good choice! I have the Marantz SA-11S2 and it is awesome. We will be waiting for a review of your purchase.

Retro

the sa8003 will be for my 2-channel music only setup that is in my signature. the player i have now is universal, which i will put in my home theater once the sa8003 arrives. i also have a playstation 3 in my HT setup, so i will probably hold off on getting a blu-ray player for a little longer. i like having a separate music and HT systems. i have only heard good thing about the oppo players though.

cory

I fully understand, as my music and video systems though in the same room are separate. My music system is vintage tube amp and CDP, with a TT and PSB speakers, and my video system is all modern Marantz, except for the BR Player, for which just ordered an Oppo, but with the new pricing on the Playstation I am double guessing myself, and asking if I should have just gotten a PS3. There is good pricing on Refurbished Marantz BR Players, but still out of my current budget.

Back
Top Bottom