whats the best sounding "small" speaker you've ever heard

jaymayisback

recently got a pair of newer jbl's, hsl610, very nice highs, bass is good for such small speakers. so whats the best sounding speaker you've heard with a woofer thats 8" or less?
hls610.jpg

I have a pair of Bose 601's Series I with 8" Velodyne woofers........not really small....but two 8" woofers (Good ones) in each speaker really sounds nice. I only like a few older Bose models. The rest are useless. I know, I know all you Bose haters......flame away. Ha.

Not a very esoteric response, but the best for me remains the venerable nearfield monitors built to the BBC LS-3/5A specification with KEF drivers (maunfactured by Rogers, Chartwell, Spendor, etc.). Yeah, I know all about the flaws and inaccuracies; but to my taste they are durned satisfying. Love to own a pair someday.

You think those compare favorably with the others, Tom?

Other MLs? They sound better (and look MUCH better) than the Source and Purity. The only other current ML I heard was the big CLX (the dealer didn't carry anything in between the Vista and CLX) and the Vista was very much like it in sound though I suppose the CLX would have better dynamics.

But then if I wanted a speaker as big as a CLX and with better dynamics than the Vistas I would've kept my Altec Model 19s. ;)

recently got a pair of newer jbl's, hsl610, very nice highs, bass is good for such small speakers. so whats the best sounding speaker you've heard with a woofer thats 8" or less?
hls610.jpg

I would not class the Hsl-610 an audiophile speaker, but used with matching center and sub, formed the best surround for the money I've heard.

i had a pair of optimus lx-5's with the lenimum(spelling?) designed tweaters.
they were small and sounded/imaged very good imo-and yes i just put my flame suit on.:D

-vic

I did tear up a little the first time I heard a decent vacuum tube amplifier (Decware Zen SE-84B) on my erstwhile Cornwalls (Sarah McLachlan's Angel, which is a bit weepy anyway and a beautiful song).

Not exactly small speakers, though, so not exactly on topic...

Back
Top Bottom