Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor


Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Speakers


We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Jcricket's Avatar
Jcricket Jcricket is offline
prudish, overthinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Littleton Colorado
Posts: 7,766
Altec 1204b speakers

Okay folks, I think these are made for a band speaekr. I am looking for any opinions a person has.
Scuzzer, Sorry, I deleted the info you posted before this. Could you post?

JUst wonmdering if anyone knows anything. I believe these take the 421 808lf woof and the 811c horns. Not sure which driver is on the horn though.

Thoughts???
__________________
True wisdom is knowing you know nothing. Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-28-2009, 04:48 AM
dgwojo's Avatar
dgwojo dgwojo is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: SouthEast Michigan
Posts: 5,015
I wouldn't offer much over a couple hundred, they're PA speakers, new aluminum diaphragms and probably different woofers would be needed for home use. I have a similar set in my garage with Altec 3156 woofers, 811B horn, Eminence D210Ti horn driver, and 1600hz Eminence crossover, they sound pretty good!!

__________________
Altec 604-8K speakers bi-amped w/Elite80+ Tube Amps, BBE DS26, Vincent SA-31 & Cary SLP-50B preamp. Altec A7's. Jolida, Antique Sound Labs, and Acoustic Fidelity tube amps.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-28-2009, 07:04 AM
bowtie427ss's Avatar
bowtie427ss bowtie427ss is offline
Don't Fear the Button
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Land of Milk & Honey Boo Boo
Posts: 14,313
According to the Altec literature(which can be little more than a flight of fancy sometimes) the 1204A was the hi sound quality reproducer of that family with the 1202B slated as the MI/PA speaker.

Interestingly, the 1204A is reported to be a sealed box(IB) using the 511 horn and a 423-8Z woofer(alnico).

AFAIK, the 1204B is just a modified version of the 1204A with the main differences being the box is now ported and houses a ferrite 421A woofer.

I strongly agree with Dave, i'd not give more than a couple hundred at best for any of the PA/MI/SR speakers from this early 120XX family or the later 123XX family. None of the components are really desirable for hifi in stock form, but modifications and compromises can be made for a reasonable total cost if you keep the initial purchase price down.

You'll see numerous tools and fools who call them VOT's and put ridiculously high prices on them, you'll occasionally even encounter a clueless buyer who pays way too much for them. Please don't find yourself in either of those camps.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Jcricket's Avatar
Jcricket Jcricket is offline
prudish, overthinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Littleton Colorado
Posts: 7,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
According to the Altec literature(which can be little more than a flight of fancy sometimes) the 1204A was the hi sound quality reproducer of that family with the 1202B slated as the MI/PA speaker.

Interestingly, the 1204A is reported to be a sealed box(IB) using the 511 horn and a 423-8Z woofer(alnico).

AFAIK, the 1204B is just a modified version of the 1204A with the main differences being the box is now ported and houses a ferrite 421A woofer.

I strongly agree with Dave, i'd not give more than a couple hundred at best for any of the PA/MI/SR speakers from this early 120XX family or the later 123XX family. None of the components are really desirable for hifi in stock form, but modifications and compromises can be made for a reasonable total cost if you keep the initial purchase price down.

You'll see numerous tools and fools who call them VOT's and put ridiculously high prices on them, you'll occasionally even encounter a clueless buyer who pays way too much for them. Please don't find yourself in either of those camps.
Well thanks bowtie. That kind of puts it in perspective. I was considering another road trip.
Guess not.

Mark
__________________
True wisdom is knowing you know nothing. Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Zilch's Avatar
Zilch Zilch is offline
Curve Junkie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 12,484
They'd get B&C DE250s on QSC waveguides and JBL 2235H woofers REAL quick if I had those cabs....
__________________
"More data ... less wank ...

In relentless pursuit of truth, enlightenment, and the AudioKarma way...."


November 22, 1942 ~ February 4, 2011 R.I.P.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Audiokarma.org Member of the Year 2010
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 09-28-2009, 03:16 PM
GordonW's Avatar
GordonW GordonW is offline
Speakerfixer
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Marietta/Moultrie GA USA
Posts: 16,555
Either the 2235, or recone the 421LFs as 411s (foam edge)... that'd be the same thing as the 2235, in essence...

Regards,
Gordon.
__________________

“My definition of too much horsepower is when all four wheels are spinning in every gear.”- Mark Donahue
My AK Gallery Photo Page: http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/sh...00&ppuser=1240
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 PM
bfishn's Avatar
bfishn bfishn is offline
loose cannon
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NW Arkansas (in a van down by the river)
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonW View Post
,,,or recone the 421LFs as 411s (foam edge)...
Might be kinda tricky squeezin' those 4" coils in 3" holes...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 PM
smi31093 smi31093 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2
Altecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcricket View Post
Okay folks, I think these are made for a band speaekr. I am looking for any opinions a person has.
Scuzzer, Sorry, I deleted the info you posted before this. Could you post?

JUst wonmdering if anyone knows anything. I believe these take the 421 808lf woof and the 811c horns. Not sure which driver is on the horn though.

Thoughts???
These Altecs are very rare and appear to be in excellent condition. I would estimate there value somewhere above $1500. I have Altecs although modified in my stereo. There is no other way to enjoy music. My opinion. I have biamped and use a Denon DCA 3500 on the modified horns and a dj amp on the bottom. My emial is richard.smith6@cox.net I am a latent tuber although I'm not running any tubes at the moment
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-10-2009, 06:55 AM
dgwojo's Avatar
dgwojo dgwojo is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: SouthEast Michigan
Posts: 5,015
Here's some info on the 1204b, looks like a 511B horn, 808-8A compression driver, 421A or 421-8HII 16" woofer, N1209-8A crossover. I'd swap out the woofers and change the symbiotik diaphragms out and they'd probably sound pretty good for home hi-fi. Later models might have a 421-8LF if you're lucky, probably one of the finest woofers for midrange ever made by Altec. I still maintain that I wouldn't offer too much for these if I planned to use them for home use and knew I had to spend hundreds on converting them.

__________________
Altec 604-8K speakers bi-amped w/Elite80+ Tube Amps, BBE DS26, Vincent SA-31 & Cary SLP-50B preamp. Altec A7's. Jolida, Antique Sound Labs, and Acoustic Fidelity tube amps.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-10-2009, 07:16 AM
GordonW's Avatar
GordonW GordonW is offline
Speakerfixer
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Marietta/Moultrie GA USA
Posts: 16,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfishn View Post
Might be kinda tricky squeezin' those 4" coils in 3" holes...
Ah, I keep forgetting... the 411 has the 515-style frame- NOT the 416/421 frame...

Oh well...

Regards,
Gordon.
__________________

“My definition of too much horsepower is when all four wheels are spinning in every gear.”- Mark Donahue
My AK Gallery Photo Page: http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/sh...00&ppuser=1240
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 10-10-2009, 07:16 AM
bowtie427ss's Avatar
bowtie427ss bowtie427ss is offline
Don't Fear the Button
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Land of Milk & Honey Boo Boo
Posts: 14,313
Quote:
I still maintain that I wouldn't offer too much for these if I planned to use them for home use and knew I had to spend hundreds on converting them.
Firmly seconded. There are many Altecs that in stock form are better hifi performers. However, the early versions of the 1204 were sealed/IB boxes, and Altec pushed it as the "hifi" member of that speaker family with the 1202 being the PA speaker. At the end of the day, probably not much more than a little "marketing" fluff.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-10-2009, 07:19 AM
bowtie427ss's Avatar
bowtie427ss bowtie427ss is offline
Don't Fear the Button
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Land of Milk & Honey Boo Boo
Posts: 14,313
Quote:
Ah, I keep forgetting... the 411 has the 515-style frame- NOT the 416/421 frame...
411 basket, like the rest of it, is a completely unique animal, i think i've seen it's frame used on one version of a ceiling duplex and nowhere else.

Somewhat difficult to tell from stock photos, but this is the only other Altec i know of that uses the same basket/frame as the 411.............. the 616-8A ceiling duplex. http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...%20Speaker.pdf

Last edited by bowtie427ss; 10-10-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 PM.



Friends of Audiokarma
We appreciate your help in keeping this site going.
Sonic Craft
Parts Express
Meistertech Solutions
Capacitor World
AudioFriends
Analog Engineering Associates
Vintage Home Audio
Okki Nokki
Hudson Valley Hi Fi
Wargos Electronics
Organ Donor Parts
Parts Connexion
Sound Stage Direct
Take Five Audio
Audience AV
Howard Products
Simply Speakers
The Tube Store
FM DX Antenna
AudioClassics
Many Moons Audio
Audio Doctor
RSL Speakers
Yesterday's Audio
DeWick Repairs
BOI Audio Works
Politicalchat.org
MCM Electronics
Amplifiedparts
Videokarma.org
 
 
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2002-2015 AudioKarma.org, All rights reserved.