Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Speakers

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:02 PM
prudish, overthinker

Altec 1204b speakers

Okay folks, I think these are made for a band speaekr. I am looking for any opinions a person has.
Scuzzer, Sorry, I deleted the info you posted before this. Could you post?

JUst wonmdering if anyone knows anything. I believe these take the 421 808lf woof and the 811c horns. Not sure which driver is on the horn though.

Thoughts???
Old 09-28-2009, 04:48 AM
Away Alot @ UofM Hospital

I wouldn't offer much over a couple hundred, they're PA speakers, new aluminum diaphragms and probably different woofers would be needed for home use. I have a similar set in my garage with Altec 3156 woofers, 811B horn, Eminence D210Ti horn driver, and 1600hz Eminence crossover, they sound pretty good!!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Parametric Sympathizer

According to the Altec literature(which can be little more than a flight of fancy sometimes) the 1204A was the hi sound quality reproducer of that family with the 1202B slated as the MI/PA speaker.

Interestingly, the 1204A is reported to be a sealed box(IB) using the 511 horn and a 423-8Z woofer(alnico).

AFAIK, the 1204B is just a modified version of the 1204A with the main differences being the box is now ported and houses a ferrite 421A woofer.

I strongly agree with Dave, i'd not give more than a couple hundred at best for any of the PA/MI/SR speakers from this early 120XX family or the later 123XX family. None of the components are really desirable for hifi in stock form, but modifications and compromises can be made for a reasonable total cost if you keep the initial purchase price down.

You'll see numerous tools and fools who call them VOT's and put ridiculously high prices on them, you'll occasionally even encounter a clueless buyer who pays way too much for them. Please don't find yourself in either of those camps.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:42 AM
prudish, overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
According to the Altec literature(which can be little more than a flight of fancy sometimes) the 1204A was the hi sound quality reproducer of that family with the 1202B slated as the MI/PA speaker.

Interestingly, the 1204A is reported to be a sealed box(IB) using the 511 horn and a 423-8Z woofer(alnico).

AFAIK, the 1204B is just a modified version of the 1204A with the main differences being the box is now ported and houses a ferrite 421A woofer.

I strongly agree with Dave, i'd not give more than a couple hundred at best for any of the PA/MI/SR speakers from this early 120XX family or the later 123XX family. None of the components are really desirable for hifi in stock form, but modifications and compromises can be made for a reasonable total cost if you keep the initial purchase price down.

You'll see numerous tools and fools who call them VOT's and put ridiculously high prices on them, you'll occasionally even encounter a clueless buyer who pays way too much for them. Please don't find yourself in either of those camps.
Well thanks bowtie. That kind of puts it in perspective. I was considering another road trip.
Guess not.

Mark
Old 09-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Curve Junkie

They'd get B&C DE250s on QSC waveguides and JBL 2235H woofers REAL quick if I had those cabs....

In relentless pursuit of truth, enlightenment, and the AudioKarma way...."

November 22, 1942 ~ February 4, 2011 R.I.P.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Audiokarma.org Member of the Year 2010
Audiokarma
Old 09-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Speakerfixer

Either the 2235, or recone the 421LFs as 411s (foam edge)... that'd be the same thing as the 2235, in essence...

Regards,
Gordon.

“My definition of too much horsepower is when all four wheels are spinning in every gear.”- Mark Donahue
My AK Gallery Photo Page: http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/sh...00&ppuser=1240
Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 PM
loose cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonW View Post
,,,or recone the 421LFs as 411s (foam edge)...
Might be kinda tricky squeezin' those 4" coils in 3" holes...
Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 PM
AK Member

Altecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcricket View Post
Okay folks, I think these are made for a band speaekr. I am looking for any opinions a person has.
Scuzzer, Sorry, I deleted the info you posted before this. Could you post?

JUst wonmdering if anyone knows anything. I believe these take the 421 808lf woof and the 811c horns. Not sure which driver is on the horn though.

Thoughts???
These Altecs are very rare and appear to be in excellent condition. I would estimate there value somewhere above $1500. I have Altecs although modified in my stereo. There is no other way to enjoy music. My opinion. I have biamped and use a Denon DCA 3500 on the modified horns and a dj amp on the bottom. My emial is richard.smith6@cox.net I am a latent tuber although I'm not running any tubes at the moment
Old 10-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Away Alot @ UofM Hospital

Here's some info on the 1204b, looks like a 511B horn, 808-8A compression driver, 421A or 421-8HII 16" woofer, N1209-8A crossover. I'd swap out the woofers and change the symbiotik diaphragms out and they'd probably sound pretty good for home hi-fi. Later models might have a 421-8LF if you're lucky, probably one of the finest woofers for midrange ever made by Altec. I still maintain that I wouldn't offer too much for these if I planned to use them for home use and knew I had to spend hundreds on converting them.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Speakerfixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfishn View Post
Might be kinda tricky squeezin' those 4" coils in 3" holes...
Ah, I keep forgetting... the 411 has the 515-style frame- NOT the 416/421 frame...

Oh well...

Regards,
Gordon.

“My definition of too much horsepower is when all four wheels are spinning in every gear.”- Mark Donahue
My AK Gallery Photo Page: http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/sh...00&ppuser=1240
Audiokarma
Old 10-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Parametric Sympathizer

Quote:
I still maintain that I wouldn't offer too much for these if I planned to use them for home use and knew I had to spend hundreds on converting them.
Firmly seconded. There are many Altecs that in stock form are better hifi performers. However, the early versions of the 1204 were sealed/IB boxes, and Altec pushed it as the "hifi" member of that speaker family with the 1202 being the PA speaker. At the end of the day, probably not much more than a little "marketing" fluff.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:19 AM
Parametric Sympathizer

Quote:
Ah, I keep forgetting... the 411 has the 515-style frame- NOT the 416/421 frame...
411 basket, like the rest of it, is a completely unique animal, i think i've seen it's frame used on one version of a ceiling duplex and nowhere else.

Somewhat difficult to tell from stock photos, but this is the only other Altec i know of that uses the same basket/frame as the 411.............. the 616-8A ceiling duplex. http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...%20Speaker.pdf

Last edited by bowtie427ss; 10-10-2009 at 07:27 AM.