VPI "Classic" in for Review

pbda

Earlier this week I received from the folks at VPI a Classic turntable that I'm going to be reviewing for the webzine I write for, Affordable Audio. I spent a couple of hours setting it up yesterday; most of the time was spent mounting a Grado Reference Sonata cartridge that I yanked off my LP12.

This unit is as much a work of industrial engineering art as it is an piece of audiophile equipment. It weighs more than some of my vintage receivers. The platter alone...well, let's just say "don't drop it on your foot".

Some teaser shots attached; keep your eyes on the magazine for updates on my experiences with this turntable.

Attachments

• P9280001 (Large).jpg
    P9280001 (Large).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 329
  • P9280002 (Large).JPG
    P9280002 (Large).JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 220
  • P9270029 (Large).JPG
    P9270029 (Large).JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 286
Tell us about the stand. I may as well be the prick. But I have yet to get good results from a glass only stand. Are those metal tubes and supports hollow?

marc mc

I'm really curious to find out if the Grado hums on the Classic. The motor position is different from most tables out there and it puts the motor closer to the cartridge.

:lurk:

I'm really curious to find out if the Grado hums on the Classic. The motor position is different from most tables out there and it puts the motor closer to the cartridge.

:lurk:

Looks to me like the cartridge is farther away from the motor than it would be with a typical turntable.

Looks to me like the cartridge is farther away from the motor than it would be with a typical turntable.

Really? I can't see that. I guess if you consider the Rega placement of the motor the typical spot. I was refering to VPI's own HW-19 or like my Oracle Paris where the motor is placed at the farthest position from the cartridge.

Very cool. If testimony is true, besides a few small niggling issues, VPI has a first class winner on it's hand with this beauty.

Yep, the Grado hums all right, though much less so than it does on my LP12. That may well be due to the fact that the motor is farther away from the cartridge, as others have suggested.

The motor on the Classic has amazing torque; it spins the platter (which appears to weigh 20-25 pounds) up to speed in a couple of seconds.

Yep, the Grado hums all right, though much less so than it does on my LP12. That may well be due to the fact that the motor is farther away from the cartridge, as others have suggested.

The motor on the Classic has amazing torque; it spins the platter (which appears to weigh 20-25 pounds) up to speed in a couple of seconds.

You're right about the torque. I can't get over how fast it gets up to speed for how heavy the platter is.

High-torque motor....no suspension...massive plinth...massive platter...uni-pivot arm...should make quite an interesting comparison against the almost polar opposite LP-12. Not that there aren't two ways to solve one problem.

High-torque motor....no suspension...massive plinth...massive platter...uni-pivot arm...should make quite an interesting comparison against the almost polar opposite LP-12. Not that there aren't two ways to solve one problem.

This is part of what I love about the hobby! :thmbsp:

Earlier this week I received from the folks at VPI a Classic turntable that I'm going to be reviewing for the webzine I write for, Affordable Audio. I spent a couple of hours setting it up yesterday; most of the time was spent mounting a Grado Reference Sonata cartridge that I yanked off my LP12.

This unit is as much a work of industrial engineering art as it is an piece of audiophile equipment. It weighs more than some of my vintage receivers. The platter alone...well, let's just say "don't drop it on your foot".

Some teaser shots attached; keep your eyes on the magazine for updates on my experiences with this turntable.

Oh how I wish you all who own (or are reviewing) these beauties would stop posting pictures of them. It would have to be the college tuition years and in the midst of an economic downturn. I look forward to your review pbda.

:D

Oh how I wish you all who own (or are reviewing) these beauties would stop posting pictures of them. It would have to be the college tuition years and in the midst of an economic downturn. I look forward to your review pbda.

:D

I know, it's very lust worthy!

I know, it's very lust worthy!

I read some recent comments somewhere, probably over on the Asylum, were one owner liked the Classic better than a VPI HR-X he once owned. Now that's some "big shoes" to fill, and of course I take those comments with a grain of salt.

Acoustic Solid of Germany has been making some tables that look very similar to the Classic, and that might be where Harry perhaps got his "inspiration" from? All thier Tables appear to be of very high quality, and thier prices are not overly outrageous for what they are.

Downside might be, if you are a USA owner, a possible lack of factory-dealer support? Mark

I read some recent comments somewhere, probably over on the Asylum, were one owner liked the Classic better than a VPI HR-X he once owned. Now that's some "big shoes" to fill, and of course I take those comments with a grain of salt.

Acoustic Solid of Germany has been making some tables that look very similar to the Classic, and that might be where Harry perhaps got his "inspiration" from? All thier Tables appear to be of very high quality, and thier prices are not overly outrageous for what they are.

Downside might be, if you are a USA owner, a possible lack of factory-dealer support? Mark

Those Acoustic Solid tables are beautiful. The 'wood' model does look very similar to the classic.

The Acoustic Solid's are to die for, but I think the classic is a HW-19 with all the cool new parts and a big tonearm. The AC's seem more like metal Scheu's.

Take that Sonata off and stick a Benz Ace S LO if you really want to hear what the table can do...

Denon DL103's, though, will not fit properly...tried it...

Some more thoughts/comments on this turntable and setup. I've had a number of exchanges with the Weisfelds and thought that I'd share here.

-The turntable is not yet optimized in my system. VPI suggests placing the unit on a 2" slab of maple, so I've found a massive cutting board that I'll be using for this purpose. It will rest on a stand with MDF shelves.

-The counterweight supplied as standard is too heavy for my Grado cartridge, so I can't get tracking force over 1.45 grams; I'm awaiting a lighter counterweight from the Weisfelds. I have a couple of other cartridges in mind that I'll be playing with in due course.

-While it is suggested that the user place the vinyl directly on the aluminum platter, Harry is also sending me a (prototype) paper mat with which he's been experimenting. He feels that it makes a difference in the sound which may or may not appeal. We'll see.

-Harry also suggests using damping fluid in the unipivot with Grado cartridges. I've been doing without for the moment, but will eventually add the fluid and determine if this influences the sound.

With luck I'll get all of these ducks in a row over the next week or two, then I can start listening seriously.

pbda,

Can i clarify this statement "-The counterweight supplied as standard is too heavy for my Grado cartridge, so I can't get tracking force over 1.45 grams; I'm awaiting a lighter counterweight from the Weisfelds. I have a couple of other cartridges in mind that I'll be playing with in due course."

Which Grado Cart do you have ?
What should the weight of the cart be so it will work with the std counterweight ?

pbda,

Can i clarify this statement "-The counterweight supplied as standard is too heavy for my Grado cartridge, so I can't get tracking force over 1.45 grams; I'm awaiting a lighter counterweight from the Weisfelds. I have a couple of other cartridges in mind that I'll be playing with in due course."

Which Grado Cart do you have ?
What should the weight of the cart be so it will work with the std counterweight ?

I've got a Grado Reference Sonata cartridge. Weight: 6.5 grams. With the standard VPI counterweight fully forward the cartridge tracks at 1.45 grams.

I'd conclude that if you want a cartridge to track at, say 2 grams, you'll want a cartridge that weighs more than 7 grams. Or a lighter counterweight. Or a headshell weight (VPI sells one).

Back
Top Bottom