Been reading all weekend, finally know what I want to do!

Jriv1

I want to build from scratch. I've been reading and learning, and think I'll get the most bang for the buck.

I want to build a simple PP monoblock (I'll build at least two, maybe a third for my guitar) 5-10 watts. I want to use common (read inexpensive) components. The fewer parts the better! I'd like it to have a line level adjust so I can use it with CD/DVD/FM tuner with out a preamp at first.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good schematic? A suggested parts list plus some build hints would also be great. I'll be searching the internet too, but if you know of something, let me know.

thanks,

PS I'll go slow and make sure I don't zap myslelf!

Ryan C. Inman
Tube Amplifier Technician

Re: Been reading all weekend, finally know what I want to do!

quote:Originally posted by Jriv1
I want to build from scratch. I've been reading and learning, and think I'll get the most bang for the buck.

I want to build a simple PP monoblock (I'll build at least two, maybe a third for my guitar) 5-10 watts. I want to use common (read inexpensive) components. The fewer parts the better! I'd like it to have a line level adjust so I can use it with CD/DVD/FM tuner with out a preamp at first.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good schematic? A suggested parts list plus some build hints would also be great. I'll be searching the internet too, but if you know of something, let me know.

thanks,

PS I'll go slow and make sure I don't zap myslelf!

Lots of choices in the 5 -10 Watt range.

You've got push-pull 6V6's, 6BQ5's, 6L6's, 6BG6's, the choices are endless.

A common and dirt CHEAP tube is the 6BQ5, there is plenty of Russian surplus 6N14N's to go around. It is also one of the BEST sounding low powered tubes out there.

Hammond transformers are reasonably priced and will get the job done. Check out their recommended transformers for 6BQ5's.

12AX7's are the most common preamp tube, they are readily available and are fairly cheap.

For push-pull you need a phase inverter stage. To simplify things, go with a cathodyne triode design. This circuit uses equal plate and cathode load resistors to produce to complementary, 180 inverted signals. It is the easiest to implement.

Personally, I'd take a look at the output stage of the EICO HF-81 for this design. Take their driver, phase inverter, and output stage and implement them into your own design. You really can't go wrong with this one, and the sound is absolutely stellar. The parts are cheap, and few are needed. Total power output would be approx 14W.

If you used the EICO HF-81 stages, you would only need to design a simple power supply, which I could help with. This can be easily done with readily available parts, and at a very reasonable cost.

Focus on the chassis you want to use, and what features you want. Did you want to add a gain control?

Best regards,

Ryan

Hot Glass Audio
www.hotglassaudio.com

Ryan C. Inman

EICO HF-81 schematic:

http://home.earthlink.net/~eico_hf8...ematic_full.gif

Using this output stage, our input signal would feed directly into the grid of the 12AX7 AF amp, the stage just before the phase inverter.

If adding a gain control, the input signal would go into the top of the pot, wiper to the grid, and bottom of pot to ground.

-Ryan

Hot Glass Audio
www.hotglassaudio.com

cabinover
Head Peon

Jriv,
Let us know how this project progresses, I for one am very interested and will follow along.

Ryan, thanks for helping here, how come no one is on this side of the country to help me learn? Seems everyone is either on the left coast, the midwest, or down south. I wish one of you guys that understand these things lived less than 100 miles away!!

Bob

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged
Old Post 10-18-2004 08:23 AM

Jriv1

Ryan,

Thanks for the help and schematic. I'm still learning how to read those things! Do you mind if I PM you with questions as they come up?

Bob,

It's going to go pretty slow, but I'll keep you all posted !

Ryan C. Inman

Feel free to PM and e-mail me with your questions.

If you want, I can draw you a schematic that is easy to follow and mail it to you, complete with parts list. This project is very easy to build!

Best regards,

Ryan

Hot Glass Audio
www.hotglassaudio.com

cabinover
Head Peon

Great, I don't mind if this takes time, I don't read that fast LOL
Bob

mech986

Before you start from scratch, how about this?

You might consider the DIYTUBE line of amp "kits". Kits in the way of a PC board with the main circuitry and parts lists for all the necessary components. They have a Dynaco ST-35 type clone using EL-84/6BQ5's and an Eico HF-87 based monoblock using EL34/6CA7's. About 15 and 35 watts respectively in P-P. Getting transformers and parts is the difficult (or fun, depending on your point of view) task but there are many vendors for used, NOS, or new clone type trannies out there.

the nice part is the PC board makes putting them together very straightforward and doesn't require extensive troubleshooting skills compared to point to point wiring.

This could get you started and then you can do a full DIY from there.

Hope this helps and no affiliations except have bought their product and subscribe to their forum.

Regards,

Bart

DIYtube website

DanTana

Here's a kit that comes with everything you need :

http://s5electronics.com/gpage1.html

Back
Top Bottom