Polk Speaker ID please

EPI-Center

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
anybody have an idea what model these guys are and if they're worthwhile?

Attachments

• P1000425.jpg
    P1000425.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 153
If that's an 8" passive radiator, then yes, Monitor 5.

The Monitor 5 Jr. had a 6.5" passive radiator, and the Monitor 7 had a 10" passive radiator...

Regards,
Gordon.

That is a very good speaker for its size. All Polk monitors series speakers used the same active drivers. Earlier versions used an expensive Peerless dome tweeter. Definitely worth hanging onto.

Looks to be either a 5B or a 5Jr. Based on the apparent cabinet size, I believe it's the latter.

Monitor 5(B)
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/recent/monitor5/

monitor5.jpg

Monitor "5jr+" http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/recent/monitor5jr/

monitor5jr.jpg

Last edited:
I owned a pair of the Monitor 10B way back when. Dual 6.5" mid/bass drivers and a 10" passive radiator. They were my first "higher-end" speakers.

Those look like monitor 5's with the sl-2000 tweet(the peerless have the wires coming off at 45 deg. not straight out)

I have the same speakers and they image better than my monitor 10A's which have the peerless domes.....

go get em':yes:

I've got most of the family--Monitor 5jr (sans PR), 5, 7, and 10. they are all high value/low price items. Still waiting for some 12's to pop up...

I've got most of the family--Monitor 5jr (sans PR), 5, 7, and 10. they are all high value/low price items. Still waiting for some 12's to pop up...

If it's not got a PR in it (i.e, has a port instead of a PR), it's a Monitor 4.5, not a Monitor 5jr. The 5jr has a 6.5" PR.

Regards,
Gordon.

It is a Monitor 5B.

Passive Radiator 1 - 8" Diameter fluid coupled subwoofer (sub bass radiator)
Mid-Bass 1 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm) drivers (MW6502)
Tweeter 1 - 1" Diameter (2.54cm) Polk SL2000 silver coil dome tweeter

There was some redesign along the way (later specs)

Overall Frequency Response 28Hz - 26kHz (30Hz – 26KHz)
-3 dB Limits (43Hz – 20KHz)
Crossover Frequency 60Hz and 3000Hz
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms (6 ohms)
Recommended Amplifier Power 10-125 w/channel
Efficiency 91 dB (90 dB)
Max Output Level 116 dB

Dimensions Cabinet Size 21.5" H x 10.5" W x 8.5" D
Weight 29. lbs.

There was a "5" variant with a cabinet larger than any of the 4s but no PR (ported instead).

mhardy is right. It threw me at first, thought it was an overtall 4:

Attachments

• IMG_2076.jpg
    IMG_2076.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2079.jpg
    IMG_2079.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I owned a pair of the JR's for about a year and enjoyed them. They are definalty good sounding speakers. I did decide to sell them though, as they did not have enough bass for me to continue to use them as stand alone speakers.

Looks to be either a 5B or a 5Jr. Based on the apparent cabinet size, I believe it's the latter.

how could his be 5 Jrs when the jrs have a PR that's the same size as the woofer, and his picture clearly shows a PR that's larger than the woofer?

it's either monitor 5 or some other monitor, not a monitor 5 jr.

how could his be 5 Jrs when the jrs have a PR that's the same size as the woofer, and his picture clearly shows a PR that's larger than the woofer?

it's either monitor 5 or some other monitor, not a monitor 5 jr.

The 5jr+ (note the "plus") has a PR that's about the same size as the woofer (6 or 6-1/2") and the 5 has an 8" PR (as did, interestingly, the very original Monitor 7; they are not common at all, though).

EDIT: The original post in this thread has a photo of what appears to be a Monitor 5B (I say that based on the tweeter).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom