Screw the Marantz! I sniped a Sherwood S-8800A!

mg196

Johnny Thunders - LAMF
This is the pic from the ad. It cost me less than $17 and I can pick it up...no shipping!! Anyone got the hard details on this sweetie? $400 back in '68.

Oh, and I guess I TECHNICALLY didn't snipe, but put in 3 bids in the final minute. I almost lost it! Item #5726497390. :uzi:

SHERWOOD
RCV, S-8800A

Description:

Manufacture Years: 1967 - 1968

Additional Information:
Power: 30

Click here for a definition of Bluebook prices.
Retail
MSRP: $400.00
USED: $29.00
Wholesale
Mint: $17.00
Average: $10.00

Well, I just got the 8800A. Really nice lookin piece. It's a heavy one too! Hmmm...what does that "HUSH" knob second from the far left do?

This baby was pulled out of a console, so it doesn't have a case per se. It does have a metal grille over the top, but no feet! Any suggestions? Here are some pics:

Last edited:
Those Sherwoods were built like the proverbial "sherman" tank, no pun intended!

The PCBs appear to be glass epoxy and of very high quality. $400 was a lot of dough back then.

Enjoy!

crooner

You do want to elevate the receiver to provide proper ventilation. I've used Jenga blocks. They're in use right now.

My G-6000 was missing the feet so I cut four small blocks of wood and stuck them on with double-sided tape. Seems to work fine.

You do want to elevate the receiver to provide proper ventilation. I've used Jenga blocks. They're in use right now.

But...

what do you do when you want to play Jenga?

'specially if you want to listen to music, too?

:)

I always preferred pick-up-sticks to Jenga! And H2S04, what did you mean by "a little ummmm....?" :scratch2:

On this era of sherwood I like the little curve near the bottom of the faceplate. I think it is unique and a nice touch.

Looks cool - Congrats! Everyone else's 'FM muting' equals Sherwood's 'hush'.

I have a 7900 around here somewhere, along with a 7910 and 7100A. Very nice, but not flashy, equipment.

Another cool thing about Sherwoods - many of them only have a 'tape' jack on the front panel that serves as both an input and an output, switching automatically as needed.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have the 7100A as my "bedroom" unit. The tape jack on this one is in the front as well, along with two 120V AC plugs in the back, one red (120 VAC SW) and one black (just 120 VAC). I do wonder why they would bother to put the tape jacks in the front, where a dangling cord would sorta be awkward and outta place. With a headphone jack right next to it, what's the point? Someone enlighten me!

These early solid state Sherwoods arent elegant, but they are simple and sturdy. Even the glass faceplate is relatively thick.

BTW, nobody would have scans of the manuals for an 8800A would they?!

Front-mounted tape I/O then, as with front-mounted A/V I/O nowadays, is for convenient, temporary hookup (e.g., for dubbing). Makes sense to me, since it would be a 2-hour job to get at the jacks on the back of my Yamaha CA-610II in the depths of the 'home entertainment center' it lives in.

Would the case to a 7800A fit my 8800A? It looks like the 7800A has the exact same face layout (I think the 7800A is both AM & FM, though).

OK, I pulled this one out of the attic to do a little clean-up work on it. I DeOxit'ed and Pro-Gold'ed all the pots and blew out all of the cat hair. It picks up stations beautifully without an antenna! One prob...

The volume is not as strong on one channel as it is on the other when I use headphones. I have NOT hooked it up to speakers yet, but I am wondering what can cause this. Another odd thing is when I am listening thru the headphones, the balance knob seems to control the opposite channel from what is labeled on the phones (ex: turn balance to the left and the sound switches to right ear).

Any ideas yet of what may be wrong?

VinylHanger said:
Your headphones are on backwards :D

Very funny, smart ass! :banana:

No, actually I DID check that and they were on correctly. Odd, but that really doesnt concern me.

Back
Top Bottom