Speaker Measurement Thread

Skywave has loaned me his copy to try, so this is timely.

First question regarding M-Audio Fast Track Pro -- that's USB, and I assume it must require high-speed 2.0, no?

Knowing my computer, do I have that? How do I determine if so?

Ken Kantor suggested something else, I believe, in another thread. I'll have to look that up.

I'm going this route because I doubt the audio "card" in the computer is up to SoundEasy (SE) requirements. How do I determine that? Has to be full duplex or something...? :dunno:

Last edited:
If I remember correctly your is not usb 2.0. Right click My computer> properties> Hardware> Device manager> system devices Do a "print screen" ( button on keyboard ) paste to a word doc and email it to me. I will pm you my email. I will see if we can ad a device driver for 2.0. I think it was a VIA chipset. If new enough it will be able to do this. Otherwise I have a 2.0 pci card I can send you or I could probably get you a newer machine for next to nothing :deal:

No the sound is not full duplex. It is better to have a dedicated card anyways.

I was just thinkin it was time for an upgrade for the Zilchter anyways!!:D

Looks like it is 2.0, but Fast Track Pro (FTP) doesn't appear to require that:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro.html

What it DOES require is Windows XP (SP2), whereas this is a Win2000 machine.

Wiredguy is setting me up with another XP computer like the one in my office, so that will work.

Just to be sure I understand this, FTP is in effect a full duplex external sound card with phantom power mic preamps, which connects via a standard USB port, and SE will also run under its requisite WinXP operating system?

Tascam US-144
Not a deal breaker, but other elements being equal, I think I'm willing to pay a bit more to have separate balanced and unbalanced outputs and not have to kerfutz with the headphone jack.

The original Tascam discussion is here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=211565

Last edited:
Looks like it is 2.0, but Fast Track Pro (FTP) doesn't appear to require that:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro.html

What it DOES require is Windows XP (SP2), whereas this is a Win2000 machine.

Wiredguy is setting me up with another XP computer like the one in my office, so that will work.

Just to be sure I understand this, FTP is in effect a full duplex external sound card with phantom power mic preamps, which connects via a standard USB port, and SE will also run under its requisite WinXP operating system?

Not a deal breaker, but other elements being equal, I think I'm willing to pay a bit more to have separate balanced and unbalanced outputs and not have to kerfutz with the headphone jack....

Yes it is full duplex. simultaneous input/output operation. Think of it like a hard line phone. As I understand it you need more than 2 channels to build 3way and higher crossovers. Otherwise a 2 channel unit is all that you need. Newer sound cards are duplex and there may be updated drivers for yours as well. I usually stay away from stock sound cards as I am "unsure" about there qualities.

Ok If the machine you currently use CLIO on needs XP Let me know I have about 12 OEM copies left.

Also replied to your email with details of the other machine if needed.:yes:

Yes, gotta move up to Fast Track Ultra (FTU) and USB 2.0 for 24/96.

Can SE can even take advantage of that, i.e., does it have a 48 kHz measurement option? Not sure if we can trust these mics up that high, even.

CLIO standard is 18/48, so even with USB 1.1, FTP is delivering higher resolution than CLIO's A/D, assuming SE uses it.... :dunno:

http://www.audiomatica.com/clio/overview.htm

Last edited:
I am not sure if it can or not. Still tinkering.....:scratch2:
I ordered V16 today should be here by the end of next week.

I now have V16 and will be trying to climb the learning curve.

It looks as though I need to build a pseudo infinite baffle to measure TS parameters.

Zilch do you use this method or do you have a WT?

Both WT and CLIO use free air impedance measurements to establish T/S parameters. To get Vas, they require using either added mass or a calibrated test box.

A large baffle is useful for response measurements so that drivers may be compared under the same conditions. Those conditions are not the same in an actual speaker construct, so I don't bother with that, having plenty of cabs here, i.e., I do response "in-situ," primarily, as that's where I've gotta get, ultimately, anyway, as filter optimization must be done in the final alignment.... :yes:

Last edited:
Can SE can even take advantage of that, i.e., does it have a 48 kHz measurement option? Not sure if we can trust these mics up that high, even.

Yeah, SE can measure using 48kHz sampling. Note, the mic doesn't have to go up that high, the computer is just sampling at that frequency.

FWIW, I use an Audiotrak Maya EX. It's a USB soundcard with 2 RCA inputs and 6 RCA outputs. It's also not available anymore unless you can find one on ebay. It seems to work well with SE as far as I can tell.

edit: another very helpful tool is the tutorial written up by John K.

No, doing the XP computer upgrade.

Did look at the M-Pro USB dealie, though.

[Need $200.... ;) ]

Yeah, SE can measure using 48kHz sampling. Note, the mic doesn't have to go up that high, the computer is just sampling at that frequency.

FWIW, I use an Audiotrak Maya EX. It's a USB soundcard with 2 RCA inputs and 6 RCA outputs. It's also not available anymore unless you can find one on ebay. It seems to work well with SE as far as I can tell.

edit: another very helpful tool is the tutorial written up by John K.

Thanks Ray for your input. I did get John's help file currently reading trying to learn how to use this software. It does appear that it is very full featured.

I asked Santa for the Smith & Larson Speaker Tester for Christmas. Will have to wait and see what shows up under the tree. :scratch2:

Zilch

How are the er umm loops going?:D

I have started with Soundeasy got some Impedance curves. Had to stop and re read the cookbook. I also got D'apolito's book that went right over the top.:no:

Mrs. Claus has pardoned me and allowed me to get the Smith and Larson Speaker Tester.:banana:

http://www.woofertester.com/stproduct.htm

Wayne has said good things about SL products and it looks like it has a very good XO simulator.

I should have this by next week. They custom test/calibrate each one that goes out the door so I am hoping for some fun soon.

I am more of a hands on kind of guy so to be able to make good measurements and then apply them to known good configs will help my learning curve quite a bit.

BTW hows Soundeasy working for you? Anything good bad? What version are you using.

V15. Install instructions begin with the word "Invoke." :tongue:

Also downloaded HOLMImpulse and Bagby's PCD.

[This is gettin' messy.... ;) ]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom