Turntable advice

Dammo

Hi All,

I've been browsing this site for a couple of months now picking up advice on budget turntables and am finally in a position to buy one. After perusing craigslist and shooting off a couple of emails I have these possible choices:

Technics SL-1700: $75
Technics SL-1200 MK2: $150
Technics SL-Q3: $25
Harman Kardon T-35C: $65
Dual CS-621: $40
Kenwood KD-2055: $75

My budget just about pushes up to $150, but would love to save some cash. I am not an audiophile but I would like to say I can tell the difference between good and bad quality! This would be my first turntable and would be hooked up to an Onkyo receiver and Polk speakers.

Please let me know which of these would best fit my needs, and whether the SL-1200 really would be worth the extra cash.

Thanks!

Richard

My first instint would be the dual, they are usually very nice turntables, and $40 seems like a good deal. Technics is somewhat well liked as well, and there are several good kenwood models out there. I have never heard of a harmon-kardon turntable, though...

I would say dual, bu the most important thing is if it works, for a first table kind of deal, get a working table with good dependability...you won't get much enjoyment out of it if all you do is work on it.

maybe another member has more expieriance with these turntables and has better advice?

Good luck, vinyl is a fun thing to get into:thmbsp:

Oh: seeing as this is your first post, welcome.

Last edited:
I bought a Harman Kardon T-20 for my son. It's a great table. Well built, simple, nice arm. If I could find a T35 for $65, I'd buy it.

I have several Duals, and I'd take the HK T35C before the CS-621.

Leaves you money for a new stylus or cart. The HK has a light arm, so likes a higher compliance stylus.

In that group, I'd take the SL-1700. Do you know what cartridges they all have?

They may need a new one, so keep that in mind when buying used. an entry level cart will run you 25.00 to 60.00

I guess it depends on several issues..........Does it come with a useful cartridge and/or stylus,Is it currently in use?,and general condition with hands-on inspection,and finally ....listen to it!!I personally got a SL-3Q for my spare TT and find it very user friendly to set-up and use,am trying different cartridges and may settle on a Shure M97xe since it tracks so well.I like this unit alot!The Harman Kardon's seem to be harder to find but quality is very good.One brand you didn't mention that flies under the radar is Phillips.

I would try to snag the renowned Technics SL-1200 MK2 at $150 for $125 (i.e. make offer).

However, of importance for any tt:
1. the accompanying cartridge (brand, model, stylus (or absence)) are all very important
2. make sure that it functions electrically (all switches and lights worrk) and mechanically
3. the condition of the dustcover and hinges can be pricey replacement items

Good luck!

Last edited:
They all would need a new stylus/cartridge I believe, so that is factored into my spending. All-in, with cartridge, any replacement parts and a preamp I'm looking to spend no more than $200. Would a new, entry-level turntable be a better option?

Just take into account that you will need a new stylus at the least or a new cart even , depends what's on them ? If it's worth a new stylus or change to a new cart . Lots of good carts under $100 but stylus run about $30 minimum for most brands so something to consider .If one of the models has a nice cart on it might be worth the price alone ? Others may have different opinions but all things equal or close to it , go for the best cart on the working model and then look at a new stylus. Starting out with a known good stylus is a must I think. I see a lot of ad's "stylus looks great " Yeah until you change it for a new one and you suddenly hear the difference. Good luck on your search :D

They all would need a new stylus/cartridge I believe, so that is factored into my spending. All-in, with cartridge, any replacement parts and a preamp I'm looking to spend no more than $200. Would a new, entry-level turntable be a better option?

probably not :no: the cost to quality ratio for vintage is a much better deal unless it is some ultra-rare item. You will have much better luck with a older table if it is operating correctly. I think if a table comes with a cart, at least try it out. A stylus may be necessary, but they are not too expensive. I don't think you can go very wrong with any of the tables, granting they work for a price you are willing to pay. $200 can get a good table, cart and stylus (I think)...are you sure you need a pre-amp? will this be going to a receiver, or something else...:scratch2:

That 1200mkII is really cheap at $150, they usually sell for $250 around here. I would guess it is cosmetically challenged. They usually still work fine even if they are abused. I bought a couple of DJ 1200mkIIs that where missing the rubber mats. I went by the local DJ record store that sell 12" vinyl. They have a bunch of 1200's setup so you can listen to the vinyl before you buy. All the tables had slip mats with no rubber mats. I asked the manager if they still had the original rubber mats and if they would sell me a couple. He went to the back and came back with two rubber mats. I got them for free too. I guess they got tired of looking at them taking up space.

OK today brings a couple of new contenders, this time with some (supposedly) new cartridges:

AKAI APQ-50/Technics SL-23/Pioneer PL-500/Technics SL-B350: $125
Pioneer PL-510: $50
All with the Ortofon OM-5

Yamaha P-750 w/ Audio Technica cartridge: $75

Would one of these be a better option as I wouldn't have to replace the cartridge? My one hesitation would be that I wouldn't know the true condition/quality of the stylus, so am inclined towards buying a new cartridge anyway.

The TT would be plugged into my Onkyo TX-SR305, which does not have a phono input so I believe I would need a preamp (??)!

For $200 & less, you'll find nothing but junk available new. To me, the choice is a no-brainer.... buy the SL-1200 MK2.

Test out the Pioneer 510, make sure all the relevant piece are there.
The Ortofon OM5 cartridge is an entry level cartridge.
The stylus can easily be upgraded later for a small sum.:music::thmbsp:

HK T35c or SL-1200 depending on condition. The HK tables really fly under the radar, but they're really nice. If I was just starting out I'd buy the HK.

Most are not familar with the Q3 Technics. But, it is very similar to the SL-1200MKII. It has the same tone arm (minus the VTA) and has a nice cast aluminum chassis. Quartz locked excellent DC motor with absolute perfect speed stability and a nice reasonably high mass cast and machined aluminum platter. For the price, you can't go wrong! For a starter table, I would take this over say a Project Debut or Rega P1, any day of the week....

-Chris

I have a Technics SL-23 and a Pioneer PL-500. The Technics is a belt-drive table that sounds pretty good to me. So this would be price dependant. The PL-500 is a quartz locked, fully automatic direct drive table. It weighs a ton. I would say I prefer the PL-500 to the SL-23 in that group.

Last edited:
That AKAI APQ-50 looks to be quite a nice TT from the pictures I've seen, and its quartz lock so thats nice. I think that it would be hard to beat for the money.

Most are not familar with the Q3 Technics. But, it is very similar to the SL-1200MKII. It has the same tone arm (minus the VTA) and has a nice cast aluminum chassis. Quartz locked excellent DC motor with absolute perfect speed stability and a nice reasonably high mass cast and machined aluminum platter. For the price, you can't go wrong! For a starter table, I would take this over say a Project Debut or Rega P1, any day of the week....

-Chris

I agree, the SL-Q3 is a fine turntable, it shares many features with the very popular SL1200mkII. Buy the Q3 and spend the rest of your budget on a nice cartridge.

I'd get the the SL-1200Mk2. Think of it as a long-term investment.
It's a very reliable TT, and you can easily sell it on for $150 (or more) if you don't like it.
Get a "Quest 20" cartridge, and you'll have a very good TT for under $200.

I second the Q3 and you could fit it with a nice Denon DL-110 cart, I have one on my SL1200Mk2 and it's an excellent match.

Just make sure your Onkyo receiver has a built in Phono Pre Amp.

Back
Top Bottom