The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - CX-6157

So I got this LP from Amoeba Music in Berkeley over the weekend. $20 and it was wrapped up in plastic, thinking it was a used LP being protected from grimy hands. Got home ripped it open and the thing is still in the shrink wrap. I'm thinking... that's is cool. I check the part number CX-6157 online. It comes back, mono UK reissue. I'm thinking, that's very cool. Do a little more research and find out it's a fake.

I swear this thing looks real, until you start reading the fine print. Any ways I didn't open it, since I'm going to return it. Really curious about the music on it. Anyone have this copy?

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/misce...fake-pink-floyd-picture-discs-coloured-2.html

I don't have it.

If one is looking for a reasonably priced "Piper," a UK or Dutch pressing of a "Perfect Pair" has "Piper" from the original stampers. Interstellar sound on the cheap. Stereo.

Ken

Thanks onepixel as a collector of Pink Floyd I knew the crap on ebay in all the colors and picture disks were not issued by the band or their labels. But I hadn't seen the site you linked too and it was a very good read.

I do have a number of various bootlegs but then I knew what they were and their source when I bought them.

Always good to increase the knowledge base.

I think I have that. Sound quality is OK. At this point I wuld return it and get the 40th Anniversary CD with the mono mix on it. Those are the best I've ever heard that record sound!

I second that, Dualhead...the 4Oth Anniversary box is a fine thing to own. And its a great way to get those single-only tracks.

Thanks... I'll keep an eye out. I think there are 30 something "official" variations, specific country releases, mono, stereo, reissues, CDs, etc, etc.

I'll eventually get one.

Sorry its a bootleg (do people still make bootlegs?)

Neat link, even if there fake, I would love a pink floyd picture disk. What company is still cutting records like that? Especially picture records that seem to have been novelty to begin with (neat novelty, though...my Dethklok album is awesome). If they were to put their powers to good, that would be a great collectable. Imagine, great sound and a neat picture.

Also a great idea: psychadelic pattern at 33 1/3rpm :yes: would buy something like that in an instant.

Yeah, they do still make bootlegs. I was just in a record store in Minneapolis and they had a brand new vinyl Velvet Underground bootleg. I had 99% of the stuff on there...but it was great to see it anyway.

Well I got the 40th Anniversary CD over the weekend in San Francisco. I was driving around grooving to the mono version and when I got back plopped the stereo version in and put the headphones on.

This is one case where I think the stereo version absolutely blows the mono version away! Man it's wild!

Back
Top Bottom