Optimus pro 77 replacement woofer

rpampt

Analogeous Vinylitis
The foams are shot and 1 vc may be bad. Does anyone know of a good, relatively cheap replacement woofer? I know there are some mods for the minimus 7, but are there any cheap mods for the Opt. 77?

You actually might find if you take one to your local RS ask the rep to do an "Product RSU Parts" look up, you might find the OEM's are still available I have been surprised how many I have been able to find for a reasonable price. If they give you a pat response of "Oh we don't carry those anymore" Get another rep to look it up. I have found them for 7's 77's LX5's etc

I have Optimus Pro 77's that I just refoamed, but the concept of buyng a new woofer (especially if they are cheap) is quite titillating.

I have found this: Cat.No. 11084993 SPEAKER,WOOFER 8 OHM 5" NP Part #SP0424

I am curious though -- does speaker foam rot/decompose even if it has never been used?

I do love my Pro 77's. I think they sound better than the highly regarded Minimus 7's.

Last edited:
Shackman55,
I thought of going there (Radio Slack) after posting my question. I'll see what they have.

Artrac,
The catalog # you refer to, where is that from? Is that a rat shack number, or something from an online supplier?

I bought these new years ago, I really haven't been using them for awhile. Then when I hooked up yesterday I noticed something was awry. That's when I noticed the surrounds were shot. Sounds like there is rubbing in one of the VC. So don't want to refoam just to find out one is still bad. Sound does come out of both. I only played at low level, but can't say they weren't turned up loud before they were put away the last time.

I think I remember some upgrades that can be performed on these, but I don't want to spend much $$$ for these. All ideas are appreciated.

That cat number sounds like one of our old RSU numbers might still be valid. If you post the cat number of the speaker, which begins with 40- or 400- something, I can look it up. And yes they do rot just from age, moisture in the air extremes of heat or cold can accelerate it. I've often wondered if you could stop it by vacuum sealing them

I called RS and they were unable to do anything with these catalog/item numbers. As a matter of fact, they couldn't even pull up the supportradioshack web site??? What's up with that... I did tell her I would make copies of all the info and drop it by the store and see if they can find anything that way. If I could find a decent drop in replacement, I'd probably go that route. Haven't really found anything that looks like a direct replacement. If RS doesn't work out, are there other ideas out there?

Thanks!

Well, I printed out all the info from the RS support site and dropped it off at the store. Manager is supposed to call me back. Don't have a lot of faith in that. I think they were aggravated that I'm persistent.

Any other ideas appreciated.

Last edited:
The ebay seller known for the Minimus 7 crossover kits also lately markets a 77 woofer and crossover package advertised as an "upgrade."

Absolutely no affiliation whatsoever.

The parts express are actually the wrong size for a drop in. Also would probably require a new crossover. I don't want to throw much money at them. I've got enough small speakers for now. Only would repair these if it's cheap.

Thanks for the ideas so far though.

Well I stopped in to Radio Slack today and they said they could not order them anymore. (Real surprise!) The manager said "can't you order them from that web site?" I gave them the site addresses. Probably didn't even look at it.

Anyway, I give up on them. Looks like my catalog number is the same as yours Atrac, 40-2057 or 40-2058.

Looking more like these will not be repaired.

Shackman may be the last hope!

Want to fix Optimus Pro77 Speaker Distortion

I have Optimus Pro 77's that I just refoamed, but the concept of buyng a new woofer (especially if they are cheap) is quite titillating.

I have found this: Cat.No. 11084993 SPEAKER,WOOFER 8 OHM 5" NP Part #SP0424

I am curious though -- does speaker foam rot/decompose even if it has never been used?

I do love my Pro 77's. I think they sound better than the highly regarded Minimus 7's.
I have a pair of these "Optimus Pro77" speakers also. I have been looking for specs on them -- and was able to pull them up using a link someone posted in this thread. THANKS atracs. Does anyone know what the sensitivity of these Pro77's is? IT wasn't listed.

I purchased the Pro77's from Radio Shack when they were on clearance sale, and I remember them sounding really great, but they have been boxed away for years. I just recently pulled them out to replace a cheap-O office supply store computer-speaker/Woofer system with pretty bad sound. I bought a Dayton DTA-1 amp and hooked them up to it only to hear quite a bit of distortion in both of the Pro77's. I'd like to fix these -- they are such beautiful little speakers, but I don't have a clue what do do or even how to take the covers off. I had to run wires from the DTA-1 to an really old un-labeled and ratty looking set of large bookshelf speakers (again radio shack) and I was blown away by the sound with the DTA-1. But I'd really like to fix the Pro 77's to have on my desk. Anybody had any luck finding woofers?

Last edited:
Gently pry up the grills using a knife point or something similar. That tar stuff that RS uses doesn't want to give up the grills at first so you'll have to be persistent with it. You'll probably find the foam surround on the woofer needs to be replaced. It's not that hard of a job to do and very much simpler that trying to find a drop-in replacement woofer.

What size foam should I buy for Optimus Pro 77's?
Inside diameter looks to be a hair over 3"; outside diameter bout 4.25".
From what I have read, refoaming the original speakers is a better option than trying to replace/upgrade the woofers themselves?
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom