Renew Volume knob "feel"

Jerwardemy

The volume and balance knobs on my 2270 have lost their feel...well as far as I know because they were like that ever since I've had it...they just kinda feel like spinning a wheel on a matchbox car or something but with a little resistance.

I know it's most likely from being cleaned over the years...what can you add to them to get at least some of the "feel" back?

There are some products that claim to be able to restore "the feel" but none of them really work very well (at least in my experience). That's why cleaning controls is always my last resort. For others, cleaning the controls is always the first resort.

You can restore them, but it means you need to re-inject the silicone dampening fluid into the shaft's retaining collar. That usually means disassembly of the control.

DH

Last edited:
DH is most likley correct. He hit it on the head, synthetic damping greases.

Whether you'd be able to inject enough of such a product into a Pot, without disassembly, and the chance of ruining it, is a "maybe you might succeed" sort of attempt?

Nye Lubricants is a manufacturer os such Damping Greases, which they make in a myriad of viscosities. Their US based distributor, called Tai Lubricants semms theor products, and they may still give small free samples of their products. You might have to fill out a short form in able to acquire them, but it might be worth a try.

I would suspect a medium heavy, to heavy damping grease would be needed, which is thicker in viscosity than let's say Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. Hope this helps. Mark

The original damping grease was between the sleeve bearing and the rotating shaft...there's no way to get it back in once it is washed out (which is why I use DeOxit and Faderlube sparingly on damped controls, like Marantz volume pots).

Live with it.

Exactly right. Be very particular with the cleaner and use as little as possible only on the section which is noisy.

I actually have repaired a Marantz pot and a Pioneer QX four channel pot by using TT damping fluid and adding it to the sleeve of a pot's shaft. But, as I said in my first post, disassembly of the pot is required. (Sometimes, I have WAY too much time on my hands!) If you do decide to take the disassembly route, be sure to practice first on a spare pot.

DH

The original damping grease was between the sleeve bearing and the rotating shaft...there's no way to get it back in once it is washed out (which is why I use DeOxit and Faderlube sparingly on damped controls, like Marantz volume pots).

Live with it.

Back
Top Bottom