My new Fisher Allegro

rcflybob

Hello everyone! I'm so happy that I ran across this site. I thought that I would post some photos of my new lol Fisher Allegro stereo that I recently got from my father who was the original owner and bought the unit new in 1964. The stereo has been in continuous use, (used every day) since my dad brought it home in '64, except for the last 6 months when the left speaker went out and my dad put the unit into semi retirement with the intention of having it repaired but just never got around to it. He finally decided that it was time to pass it down to me, I guess he figured I was old enough, I'm 43, to appreciate the it. I have such great memories of listening to the jazz, big band, and piano (Carmen Cavallero) music that my dad used to play on this stereo. The only thing that I've done so far to the stereo is to clean and re oil the mahogany cabinet. I'm now on the hunt for and owners manual and a service manual, and a tube for the left channel output.

Attachments

• Fisher Allegro Stereo 001.jpg
    Fisher Allegro Stereo 001.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Fisher Allegro Stereo 002.jpg
    Fisher Allegro Stereo 002.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Fisher Allegro Stereo 004.jpg
    Fisher Allegro Stereo 004.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Fisher Allegro Stereo 009.jpg
    Fisher Allegro Stereo 009.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 129
congratulations on your acquisition, and welcome to audio karma! :music:

what you have there is a fine example of quality fisher stereo in nice wood cabinet. there are many console, specially fisher, gurus here, and i'm sure they'll chime in to give you specific info.

you will need to go through a basic list of things to check and do. checking all the tubes, changing out all the important capacitors, and etc. if the speaker is indeed shot (which may not be the case), it'll be easy to replace it something similar if not same. most likely, after all those years of constant use, some of the electrolytic capacitors are shorted or about to die.

here's a link that'll give you some fisher schematics and info.
http://oldtech.net/Fisher.html

003.jpg

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thank you for the complements, I have always loved this stereo, even as a kid. I remember my dad telling that I could look but to not touch, maybe thats what makes seem all the more nicer that he felt I was ready to take care of it, and passed it down to me.
I haven't taken the chassis out yet, the insides are very clean, my dad was very meticulous about this unit, and I 'm sure he cleaned the insides as well as the out. As it turns out the left channel tube 6HU8 is cracked and its not a problem with the speaker itself. Here are some pics of the inside of the stereo. I have already pulled out the bad (cracked) left speaker tube. I just noticed that the schematic says the speaker tubes are 6UH8, but the chassis and the tubes are marked 6HU8, a little misprint on the schematic at the Fisher factory.

Attachments

• Fisher Allegro Stereo 016.jpg
    Fisher Allegro Stereo 016.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 63
  • Fisher Allegro Stereo 007.jpg
    Fisher Allegro Stereo 007.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Fisher Allegro Stereo 006.jpg
    Fisher Allegro Stereo 006.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Fisher Allegro Stereo 005.jpg
    Fisher Allegro Stereo 005.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 116
A fully-tubed Fisher from '64? I'm surprised - I thought they were all hybrids with solid-state amps by then. Cool piece, and a nice family history to boot!

FISHER did'nt go completely SS until 1967. The Lower ended consoles and separates were the last to transistion. The Allegro I believe transistioned in 1966.

The Hybrids started in 1965 and continued thru 1966. Both my Custom Electra VIII and Futura VI are Hybrids (1965's).

Keep a TIGHT GRIP on your wallet! Those 6HU8's are EXPENSIVE! $49.98 @ tubes and more! YEOWCH!!!

Hi Larry and rcflybob,

I bought a Fisher Philharmonic console this summer that uses the 6HU8's (ELL80's). I think mine are both good based on the seller's comments but I haven't verified on my tester. I think a person could make an adapter to use a pair of small single power pentodes and connect them to the single socket. There was also, I believe, a single pentode version of this tube. They are still a bit pricey but not like the ELL80's.

Have fun,
John

Attachments

• Fisher Philharmonic console 009c.jpg
    Fisher Philharmonic console 009c.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 38
Beautiful Allegro, rcflybob! You have apparently inherited your Dad's excellent taste in hi-fi as well as his actual hi-fi. Congratulations and welcome to AK.

The Allegro I believe transistioned in 1966.
Larry, did you realize that you coined a potentially very useful new word here by combining transistor with transition? Though I believe the Allegro actually transistioned in 1967; Fisher's Philharmonic and Allegro models being all-tube through the 1966 model year.

Yes my Philharmonic IV is all tube, save for the rectifiers, IIRC.

I'd really like to find an all tube Allegro. I think they are cool as hell.
And and epitomize the "Golden Age of HiFi" quite succinctly, like few others all in one systems can.

I just missed a beautiful, pristine one a few months ago for all of $50.

The search continues.

Very nice Fisher. Also very cool that you have been around it since you were a kid. As suggested it might be time for some capacitors and a general "tune up'. Then the Fisher will be top notch for another 40+ years.

Welcome to AK!

Beautiful Allegro, rcflybob! You have apparently inherited your Dad's excellent taste in hi-fi as well as his actual hi-fi. Congratulations and welcome to AK.

Larry, did you realize that you coined a potentially very useful new word here by combining transistor with transition? Though I believe the Allegro actually transistioned in 1967; Fisher's Philharmonic and Allegro models being all-tube through the 1966 model year.

LOL! Sister Jean Marie is gonna have my ass for that one. She literally "BEAT INTO ME" correct spelling. With a steel engineers (triangular shaped) ruler edge on the knuckles!! The scars are fading BUT......

Larry

rcflybob,
You do realize that you're not required to use those speakers, don't you? Please don't misinterpret. I'm not advocating disposing of them, I'm just stating that if you restore the amp n' tuner, you'll have your choice of transducers.
I guess I'm not a believer in vintage speakers for their own sake, as if you couldn't tell.
audiodon

I bought one of those last year with all the original Telefunken tubes for 10 bucks. The guys here were real generous with information. My speaker issues got fixed by just cleaning the hinges very well. There is some more info in this thread

Well I've got a line on a good used 6HU8 tube to run the left channel, I couldn't help myself and powered the unit up to take a listen to the turntable and the tuner. The turntable worked absolutely beautifully, but I had to turn the volume way up to get a sound that was listenable. The sound was very clear however with no hum or crackling. The tuner was very different however, only needed to have the volume at two, to be able to hear it. There was alot of hum and distortion when the volume was increased on the tuner. The other thing I noticed was that in order to listen to say 94.7 I had to tune it to roughly 93.5. I'm sure that the capacitors, and some tubes need to be replaced after over 40 years of service. My next thing will be to pull the chassis and find somebody to check the system out and give it a good tune up.

The dial string might have slipped. That's an easy fix . . .sometimes. This unit will need some tlc.

Well I pulled the tuner and amp chassis out tonight just to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into, and it was pretty much what I expected: a very scary (at least to me) sight. My main concern will be having the units recapped, but the large orange capacitor on the tuner is bulging on one end so this wont be powered up again until both the tuner and the amp have been thoroughly gone over. Even though I'm an electrician and fairly handy with a soldering iron, I think I will have to send this out to be done. Does anyone know somebody in the southeast Mich area? After reading Audiodons post about what the brown truck company did to his Fisher I'm kinda scared.

Attachments

• Fisher Allegro Stereo 018.jpg
    Fisher Allegro Stereo 018.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Fisher Allegro Stereo 019.jpg
    Fisher Allegro Stereo 019.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Fisher Allegro Stereo 021.jpg
    Fisher Allegro Stereo 021.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Fisher Allegro Stereo 022.jpg
    Fisher Allegro Stereo 022.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Fisher Allegro Stereo 023.jpg
    Fisher Allegro Stereo 023.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Fisher Allegro Stereo 024.jpg
    Fisher Allegro Stereo 024.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 30
That is one beautiful piece of audio history. Best of luck to you in the restoration you lucky dog.

Back
Top Bottom