DIY Passive & Burson Audio Buffer 160

Chatta

Hi Guys,

Following up on my DIY passive preamp post and thanks for all the comments and suggestions from everyone here.

I have just returned from my two weeks holiday. Before my departure I have contacted Burson and they have made me a special offer after realizing what I wanted to do with their buffer. The buffer 160 arrived last week and was picked up by our neighbor who luckily was not an audiophile. After spending the last couple of days listening to it, I must say that the combination of the buffer and my DIY passive is no less than amazing!

Using the buffer with my passive is a god send. The buffer bought back a lot of micro detail that once disappeared when playing only with my passive. Midrange texture is now a killer. It really bought a vocal to live. The top end is fuller, sweeter and completely transparent. The bass kicked in with control and extension. This is simply the best sounding preamp setup I have ever heard!

My friend brought over his big gun Rotel RC1070 and he too was shellshock by the resultJ

But there were drawn backs: Non of them performance related, only on functionality.

1. No remote control
2. Only two inputs at this stage.

What is next?
Well, I hope to add my ALPS pots inside the buffer. That way I don’t need a separated box for my passive and eliminate all unnecessary cabling J I want to also somehow add an input selection switch on the back for additional inputs, but that can be challenging as the Burson buffer case is 6mm thick and I really don’t want to damage this refined case.

Follow up on the last post I have also come across this blog: http://bursonaudioblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/burson-audio-buffer-160-review-by-steve.html

Looks like I am not alone and the Burson Buffer seem to work great with any passive system…

Yeah Chatta, I to took the Burson approach as well.

sd530083qx7.jpg

They are expensive by many peoples standards and many people feel that Op Amps of today are as good or better!

With my own experience with them, I had to work with them giving them a huge supply some 150,000uf's from the 15,000ufs stock and I ended up using a unique solution with my on board discrete regulators. I eliminated the AC feedback of the regulator while allowing it to regulate the voltage. I used a pair of diodes to drop noise over instead, allowing for a warmer presentation. I used Muse caps in the final stages of the supply. I'm not a big fan of regulators due to the effects of feedback.

The Bursons are very powerful and very revealing of information I have never heard before, especially in the areas of texture. The soundstage is enormous and very informative especially at the back of the stage not to mention great layering.

In the end the Bursons want current, up to 5 times that of most Op Amps. I can see some folks not really liking them as they can sound lean with poor supplies IMO. Which is why I see so many people beefing up their supplies when using them. But give the Bursons what they want and they will deliver in spades at least for me anyway!

Heres my thread on my CDP up grade using a pair of Dual Bursons and a pair of singles for buffer out which I use direct.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=185971

I might add I had a very well known $2000 tube preamp here that someone wanted to hear in my system. Well, for me it was as though a blanket had been thrown over my system and some may argue that a systems dynamics will be better! But not in this case, it wasn't even close the Burson's direct were the clear winners.

SET12

Couple of days ago I got around installing my ALPS pot into the buffer... I have to say it is one of the best sounding low gain pre I have ever heard. :) I will post a few photos when I have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom