The must have toy from a Christmas past.

chillwolf

"Play 'em off!"
Watched the movie A Christmas Story the other night. One that I watch religiously every year. As many of you know, Ralphie's biggest Christmas wish is to get the Red Ryder BB gun, (that will put your eye out).
I can remember one Chistmas, the toy to have that year was the Fanner 50 toy revolver. In my circle of friends, if you didn't have the Fanner 50, you weren't cool. :no:
Can you remember any of the toys "to have" for Christmas when you were a kid?

These bring back some memories for me:

Pedal Car
Operation
Lincoln Logs
Etch-A-Sketch
Lite-Brite
Anything linked to Hot Wheels
Marbles
The whirlybird airplane with the control you held in your hand.
Balsa Wood Airplanes w/without the rubber band
Figure 8 racing car & train sets
Tonka Toys -- Never got to own one though!

Also, I don't know the name but I had a bazooka that you had to pump it to shoot a blast of air. It was awesome shooting in the drain & hearing the lingering sound. I also had a missle that you put water in it & shoot it into the air. Just great simple fun!

Just to name a few.

Rome

Last edited:
the one present i always wanted? it was a gift but you couldnt buy it in the stores, it was a present that came from with in a person. im not goin to get into my past but i always wanted to get a gift of love.

I still have the American Flyer electric train my grandfather bought for my mother and her two brothers in 1952. I'm giving a duplicate of the set to my cousin's son this year.

I still have the American Flyer electric train my grandfather bought for my mother and her two brothers in 1952. I'm giving a duplicate of the set to my cousin's son this year.

I got that for one Christmas too. But it's long gone now. :tears:

I'm gonna date myself, but anything Star Wars in 1977 - especially the action figures.

Also, GI Joe, Stretch Armstrong, The 6 Million Dollar Man and Lawn Darts.

Note: the only one of these I ever got were the Star Wars action figures.

-D

I had a 3 speed, I wanted the 5.. It was a LOT faster..

Man were those sticks a real ball buster though.. :tears:

attachment.php

Attachments

• a-1967-vintage-schwinn-sting-ray-fastback-the-sting-ray-that-was-your.jpg
    a-1967-vintage-schwinn-sting-ray-fastback-the-sting-ray-that-was-your.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 219
A Johnny 7. It was a toy gun that had at least 7 different weapons on it. Also, Hot Wheels Sizzlers! A Johnny Lightning race track.
That was in the day of the Chemistry Set... no telling what we made or could have made with those!?
Mike

Last edited:
Nice gun MJ!

Nice bike Simi!
I always wanted a Schwinn "Orange Krate" bike.

Rome

I had a 3 speed, I wanted the 5.. It was a LOT faster..

Man were those sticks a real ball buster though.. :tears:

attachment.php

Oh that brings back memories. I had a good friend with one of these. I had some crappy hand-me-down. You have to love the bannana seat. You could easily fit 3 kids on one of those.

When I was in about 3d grade (1970 ish) they had these cars called SSP's I think. Rail dragsters and other designs, with a big rubber flywheel through the middle that was driven by a zip cord you pulled on. Ah yes, here they are:

Attachments

• ssp_racers.jpg
    ssp_racers.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 37
My 3 speed had the same stick, but my buddy had the 5 speed, and he would beat me in every race.. however, I was braver and could jump further with mine, but most every time left me on the ground rolling around because I slid off the seat into that stick.. IT SUCKED!

How about Motorific cars? Anyone remember those? Cool little battery operate "slot" cars. Didn't race, just went around the track...

And then there was the Marx Magic Shot Shooting Gallery...

And even further back- Red Ball Jets- shoes that made you "Run Faster and Jump Higher!"

No way... the Adidas banana running shoes were the fastest.. All the kids on the block had them, with the racing stripes down the side..

For awhile there it was slot cars. I had boatloads of cars and track and my best friend and I would set up impossibly large courses and race. Then it was the football game with the vibrating field. We actually set up divisions and schedules and had a championship game. After that phase I graduated to model rockets and spent all my paper delivering and snow shoveling cash on that. Christmas was always when I'd ask for the expensive stuff and I'd almost invariably be slightly disappointed because my folks would buy something similar but cheaper.

I wore out the pages of the 1970 Wish Book lusting after a Tudor NFL Super Bowl IV Electric Football Set.

I was the same way Ken.. but instead I got some football game that has sliders on each side of the board you would both set, then push a button, and in the field it would light up a square that would tell you what happened for the play, then you would move your player the required distance in either direction..

I was pissed about that, especially when my buddy did get the cool vibrating one..

Back
Top Bottom