EL34/KT77 recommendations?

BmWr75

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Have some Gold Lion KT-88s in my integrated amp now. Would like to try some EL34s/KT77s to hear the difference. Any recommendations on tubes to try would be appreciated. Am driving 100 dB efficient horns.

A good matched set of Mullard 6CA7s (old stock) will always sound incredible. I am running those in my Stereo 70 and a match quad of the reissued Gold Lion KT88s in my set of Dynaco Mark III. Both sound great to me. I have used TungSol 6550s, Sovtec, HKs, etc. I will stick with the new Gold Lions. Also use the Gold Lion KT66s in my vintage Heathkits. For me, this is the line I will stay with for now.

Winged 'C' EL34'S for me, better from top to bottom, GL KT77 sounded a little to close to SS for me........

I have a few amps that use these, and one of them is running the 6CA7s triode strapped single ended, so I guess I get an opinion.:D Best tube ever would be old original GEC KT77s, but if you don't want to mortgage your house, they are out. Another extraordinary (but still spensive) tube are the old double get Telefunkens. Mullards are fine, but not worth the silly money they are starting to bring. If I could just use one EL34 type, it would be the dimple top Seimans. They are incredibly balanced throughout the Hi-Fi range. Not overly bright like the Teles can be, or too "tubey" like I've heard with Mullards. They're still very affordable and in good enough quantity that matched quads are not out question.:music::thmbsp:

Oh, two more sleepers would be the German made Golden Aero, and Ultrons. They don't come up much, but when they do, you can usually get them for great prices.

A good matched set of Mullard 6CA7s (old stock) will always sound incredible. I am running those in my Stereo 70 and a match quad of the reissued Gold Lion KT88s in my set of Dynaco Mark III. Both sound great to me. I have used TungSol 6550s, Sovtec, HKs, etc. I will stick with the new Gold Lions. Also use the Gold Lion KT66s in my vintage Heathkits. For me, this is the line I will stay with for now.

+1 on the old Mullards. Very pricey but tough to beat.

Edit: The Reissue Mullards are pretty good also, especially for the price.

Last edited:
Ive been enjoying the hell out of the Russian coin-base 6P3S-Es as of late. Dirt cheap (less than $30 per quad), and they give the SED EL34s quite a run for the money. Dont get me wrong, I love my SEDs, but these 6P3S-Es are probably the best sounding output tubes you can get for the money.

Have to agree with the other posters on the Russian coin-base 6P3S-E. I prefer them to any of the NOS vintage EL34s. Cheap and durable, with excellent sound.

If these tubes were rarer and commanded $100/tube like Mullard XF1s, everyone would be raving about them and they would be the hottest thing in audio.

There is just no snob appeal to $10 Russian tubes.

OK, I ordered a quad. My amp is a Primaluna that autobiases. Guess it will figure out where it wants to run them.

I just ordered a quad too. I have a quad of "Servicemaster" EL-34's, marked "Made in W. Germany" in my ST 70 now, probably Telefunken or Seimens, I don't know. If these are as good as others say they are, I'm in for a treat.
If not, then for $24 bucks I'm not out much and have an emergency replacement set. Kind of win-win I guess.

He didnt say specifically if they were matched, but the quad I got had black marker showing what each tube tested at. There all pretty close, although not an exact match.

He didnt say specifically if they were matched, but the quad I got had black marker showing what each tube tested at. There all pretty close, although not an exact match.

Sergey says the tubes are not matched but have the same data code. Very good price if they sound as above posters say.

I was just using mine last night. I still prefer the SED EL34, but these are pretty close. To be honest, they sound to me much like the 6CA7EH but without the harsh highs. The 6CA7EHs shred my ear drums, even running a tube DAC doesnt stop them.

I'm a bit confused on people substituting 6L6 equivalents for EL34 types without amp modifications. Can the Russian 6P3SE be a direct replacement for EL34's on an ST-70? I've been looking at KT77s, but if these would work I'd like to give them a try.

Me, as well as a few others substitute them in our Yaqin MC-10Ls without mods. I roll tubes more often than most, but theres a few people out there that have used them continuously for a year or more without issues.

Thanks BadassBob.
I'm on a budget, and trying to get a quad of something (at least of the same brand) for the ST-70. People holler 'bout the KT-77's from JJ, but looking at reviews they seem to be a crap shoot. If these Russian 6P3SE's at $35 a quad will work without melting anything, I just may bite.

Back
Top Bottom