Magnavox Concert Grand Score

Horn Head

Just picked-up this beauty today. A Magnavox Concert Grand with the two 2-channel (biamp) amps. Nice score, on the cheap. The cabinet is very good condition and has me hesitant to gut....but really want those amps for powering a set of Altec A-7s. Pulling out the amps to recap & such and will decide on whether to keep the console as is or part out in the mean time. Amps are 82-01-11, a couple 15" and nice horns.

Attachments

• DSC00019.jpg
    DSC00019.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,942
  • DSC00020.jpg
    DSC00020.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,785
  • DSC00016.jpg
    DSC00016.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 2,213
  • DSC00017.jpg
    DSC00017.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,346
  • DSC00018.jpg
    DSC00018.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,357
That is a very nice console, quite a unit in its day. Normally I wouldn't give much thought to gutting a console for its amps, that one however I would think long and hard.

Please don't do it! It was an audio-engineering masterpiece that should be listened as it was designed.
To cannibalize a Concert Grand should be considered a Federal crime! :nono:
I am (unsuccessfully) looking for a Concert Grand for a couple of years now, and I am in Italy, so I know that, if I should find one, shipping it here will cost much more than buying the console itself, but I still think it's worth. Go figure...
Those 82 amps sometimes appear on ebay, buy a pair of those amps and sell the CG console to me instead ;)

Last edited:
Wow! that one is a beauty! The only thing ugly is that can of cheap swill sitting on top. :D (Better go for something stronger, you deserve it after that find. :thmbsp:)

Holy cripes... EIGHT 6V6s per amp.

I'm guessing 6 in PPP for the woofer, and 2 in PP for the horn? I see what looks like the standard PPP transformer (the smaller black transformer) and the standard PP transformer (the open-frame unit- looks like the one on the AMP175) on there...

Unfortunately, the crossover point is probably not optimal for A7s, without mods. It's around 1100 Hz, IIRC, on most of the Maggie bi-amp models...

Damn... anyone got a schematic for this beast? Want to see how they handle THREE pair of 6V6s in parallel!

Also- it looks like the speakers in these are actually in SEALED BACK cabinets? Wow. Could be some nice speakers in there!

Regards,
Gordon.

Pulling out the amps to recap & such and will decide on whether to keep the console as is or part out in the mean time. Amps are 82-01-11, a couple 15" and nice horns.

I'd recap it and restore it to original. I'd bet it sounds awfully good in stock form. Do you have a schematic? The Magnavox amp I've got (AMP-101B) uses the field coil of the woofers as the filter choke in the power supply, so separating the amp from its original drivers is a pain.

that is a BEAST !

recap and keep it complete :yes:

Gordon's right - crossover point is to high for A7's . . .

any pix of the speakers ? :D

What a way to start a new year! That's a truly jaw-dropping console in what appears to be an excellent state of preservation. Congratulations!

Have you found a model number for the console itself, which would be different from the numbers stamped on the individual chassis? I suspect yours is a 1960 model as described below in Billboard magazine. The 1958 Concert Grand had AMP 150 & AMP 179 chassis. The model numbers for the 1959 Concert Grands were 1ST800F & 1ST801F. It may be a '59 model but the description below (which, appearing in late 1959, would be for the upcoming 1960 models) seems to fit your console fairly accurately.

Does it have the remote control feature?

I'd love to see more photos.

Nov. 16, 1959

Magnavox Debs Concert Grand Stereo Console

Fort Wayne, Ind. -- Magnavox joins the limited edition class of the console phonograph field next week, with first delivery of its Concert Grand stereo instruments. The Concert Grand, listing at a price ranging from $1,000 to $1,100, depending upon what selection is made of six different wood finishes in three models, traditional, provincial and Danish modern, offers a new peak, too, in Magnavox electronic instrument price and also offers an industry high of 200 watts peak power in a packaged stereo unit.

Two firsts in the Magnavox Concert Grand are an automatic signal-seeking FM-AM radio, such as was introduced initially in the Cadillac car radios and a remote wireless control of the four-speed phonograph that enables the listener to turn the record player on or off, raise or lower the volume, reject or change records, from anywhere in the room with a finger-tip control instrument very similar in appearance to those utilized in some TV sets. The remote control also changes AM-FM stations, automatically selecting every usable station.

All three different styles of cabinetry offer heavy glass panels on top of the console to protect the natural grain wood finishes from stain or burn. The record changer is reached thru a center gliding panel, while Magnavox sound equalizer controls are hidden behind a center gliding panel in the front of the instrument.

The Concert Grand's sound system is powered by a separate 10-watt treble amp and a 40-watt bass amp in each stereo channel, while each channel has its own 15-inch bass speaker, each having 42-ounce magnets, and its own 1,000 cycle exponential treble horn.

Last edited:
Oh my. How about making only an easily reversible mod of the crossover frequency and jacks for your Altecs that way you can keep this rare gem intact?

mike

Don't scrap it, I mean concert grands are like ampex consoles, they are rare and very expensive in their day. I have maggies and they sound pretty good. My idea if you want stand alone amps for you altecs, it restore this one and put it on the bay as fully restored and use the profit to buy some nice stand alone eico amps or something. Just don't gut it :yes:

Wow...that thing looks to be perfectly preserved. I'd think long and hard about gutting it. If you really want just a pair of the amps, find someone selling a pair from a junker and sell that complete CG to a collector.

TheRed1 - a Danish Modern CG? Now that would be unbelievably drool-worthy...

Very nice, not many of those around intact, dont gut it. Restore it, a beautiful piece of history.

Back
Top Bottom