• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Frequently used Acronyms

ckelly

Super Member
I was reading a thread and RobTV mentioned that there are lots of acronyms used in audio message boards.

I thought I'd start a thread with some of the most common acronyms.

  • General Audio Acronyms
  • TOTL - Top Of The Line, the biggest, baddest member of a determined brand's lineup.
  • SOTA - State of the art
  • DOA - Dead on arrival, typically referred to a broken unit being sold too.
  • CBPS - Cheap Black plastic ****, the kinda stuff one sees in Circuit city nowadays.
  • HT - Home Theatre
  • TT - Turntable
  • SS - Solid State



  • Acronyms basedf on emotions
  • WAF - Wife approval Factor, the married man's nightmare
  • LOL - Laughing out loud
  • LMAO - Laughing my ass off
  • ROTL - Rolling on the floor laughing
  • IIRC - If I recall Correctly
  • IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
  • IMO - In My Opinion
  • YMMV - Your mileage might vary
  • COS - Crock of Sh!t
  • POS - Piece of Sh!t
  • WTF - What tha f*ck?


  • Audio Message Site abbreviations
  • AK - AudioKarma
  • AA - Audio Asylum
  • AR - AudioReview
  • AU - AudioUtopia
  • HD - Harmonic Discord
  • AAx -Audio Annex

Feel free to add more if you have another one.

Chris
 
Register to hide this ad
Chris, good idea!

A couple I've come across recently which are more shortcuts rather than audio related :

TIA- Thanks in advance
HTH - Hand to heart (at least that's what I think it means)

There's one long one that I couldn't work out - have to go find it...

cheers
Jack
 
OPT= output transformer
PS= power supply
BP= binding post(s)
IC= interconnects (they used to be patch cords, whatever happenned to that?)
OTL=output transformerless
blimp= limp derigable B(as in after the first one A)
Jeep= GP general purpose half ton motor vehicle
Fubar= ****ed up beyond all repair
Snafu= situation normal, all ****ed up
FNG= ****ing new guy

The FNG crashed the B-limp into the GP and its fubar. Another snafu.
 
Originally posted by car67
Chris, good idea!

A couple I've come across recently which are more shortcuts rather than audio related :

TIA- Thanks in advance
HTH - Hand to heart (at least that's what I think it means)

There's one long one that I couldn't work out - have to go find it...

cheers
Jack

Jack,

Would it be one of these:

ROTFLOL - Rolling on the floor laughing out loud
ROTFLOLPIMP - Rolling on the floor laughing out loud pissing in my pants.

:D
 
There is a site somewhere on the net with all the acronyms you'd ever want to know, although not necessarily audio related.

A Google search will probably come up with it.

I prefer to call the stuff sold at CC and BB as BPC = black plastic crap.
 
Chris,

'Ta but it's none of the ones you suggested although they did make me laugh!

I has a look but couldn't find it again. Oh well, when I come across it again....

cheers
Jack
 
Back
Top Bottom