JBL 4311B or L100 dilemma

cla6665

I have the chance to pick up either a pair of JBL 4311B or a pair of JBL L100, both in good shape, each set for the same price,$ 200.
Which ones do I pick up?????:scratch2:

Obviously, the pair in the BEST condition would be the choice, but if they are in equally good condition, consider this.

1. What grilles are on the L100s? The original foams will be gone by now, what were they replaced with? JBL made factory replacement inserts for them, if these are installed, you still have a tough choice.

2. If the grilles need replacing, you can get reproductions of the original foam grilles in the 3 original colors, for a price.

3. The original grilles for the 4311s would not have needed to be replaced.

Good luck!

The sound is essentially the same. Arguably, 4311B has an improved woofer.

[L100s will sell for more, once puberty passes.... ;) ]

It'd require expertise in the calculus to figure out how long I've had mine.... :tongue:

So I got to pick up both speakers, for the price right? Turn out that the L100's were actually one L100 and one L100 century. One tweeter is gone and one of the woofers need re foaming. So I just said bye bye to that one. I picked up the 4311B and those are in great shape, everything perfect. So I bring them home and plugged them in, man they sound good but I have to say that the KG4"s that soundweasel let me borrow blows them away. The Klipsch are just on another level I think, am I going crazy or the 4311's should be one of the best vintage speakers out there? Honestly, at least with my system, I wasn't impressed at all, they sound good but nothing special. I think I'll sell the 4311's and start hunting down a set of La Scala.:thmbsp:

...am I going crazy or the 4311's should be one of the best vintage speakers out there?
Well, you're the one who called the choice a dilemma. Do you know the true definition of the word?

Logic: an argument forcing an opponent to choose either of two unfavorable alternatives.

The definition I learned in fifth grade was "a choice between two equally bad alternatives". :D

PART OUT THE L-100s right here on the forum. Monitors are an acquired taste as far as the 4311s. They will tell you how good your equipment is, just like horns. They are not colored at all, I would keep them around, and give them a chance, not very easy to come by just my .02 cents

So I got to pick up both speakers, for the price right? Turn out that the L100's were actually one L100 and one L100 century. One tweeter is gone and one of the woofers need re foaming. So I just said bye bye to that one. I picked up the 4311B and those are in great shape, everything perfect. So I bring them home and plugged them in, man they sound good but I have to say that the KG4"s that soundweasel let me borrow blows them away. The Klipsch are just on another level I think, am I going crazy or the 4311's should be one of the best vintage speakers out there? Honestly, at least with my system, I wasn't impressed at all, they sound good but nothing special. I think I'll sell the 4311's and start hunting down a set of La Scala.:thmbsp:

L100 (and L100 Century) woofers shouldn't have foam...do you have pictures?

je

PART OUT THE L-100s right here on the forum. Monitors are an acquired taste as far as the 4311s. They will tell you how good your equipment is, just like horns. They are not colored at all...
That would make sense if it applied to the L100/4311, but it doesn't. And that's why many love them, and why many don't. The 4311 is "colored" on purpose and earns the designation "Control Monitor" as opposed to what JBL calls "studio monitors" the designation for monitors intended to have a flat response.

I like my 4311's and am contemplating replacing the tweeters to the 35's to get a little more edge.I am spoiled on the 4311 personality just trying to tweak a bit.What say you?

Back
Top Bottom