AK Design Collaborative - Insubnia

Zilch

Curve Junkie
Subscriber
Last edited:
Had an order prepped for the "Super Spud", but eventually chickened out due to size.

In choosing the direction of this project, I humbly submit that size of such subs might preclude many from building one.

In choosing the direction of this project, I humbly submit that size of such subs might preclude many from building one.
Agreed, but did you look at the dimensions of VT's double-folded tapped horn? 16.25" X 24.13" X 8.5", by my calcs, very compact.

No, we're not going to get down to 10 Hz with this small a package, but as augmentation for Indignias, it's certainly "within the realm."

http://www.volvotreter.de/downloads/TangBand_W6-1139SC_38Hz_TH_Rev_1.pdf

That's the 38 Hz one. Max has worked up dimensions for 30 Hz, subject to verification.... :yes:

Last edited:
Z -

Are you a woodworker?

Neither the indignias nor the waves required heavy skills in that area. New horizons?

Last edited:
New horizons?
Yah, WiredGuy scored a free table saw, and I'm firing up the router for the first time to do some roundovers this weekend.

Danley has shown the way here. If this works out, it could be a kit of flats like the Dayton KD Trapezoids with routed dados.... :dunno:

Whatcha looking at Z? Liking the tapped horn? McJerry at Eminence really likes them. I've pondered a build but haven't jumped on it yet.

What about the TCB?

The subs I use in daily life are all plain ol' sealed and plate amp powered. :)

Whatcha looking at Z? Liking the tapped horn? McJerry at Eminence really likes them. I've pondered a build but haven't jumped on it yet.
See the VolvoTreter link above. There's a tapped-horn design tool in his downloads.

If these work worth a whit, there's only one driver per and with a low power plate amp (only 30W required, looks like), they could come in at ~$150 complete.

I'm not a bass horn guy, but there's others like yourself that know the ropes with these here, so I'm confident we can make this happen.... :thmbsp:

I will watch with interest but I just built two subs so I won't play this time. I like the folded version.

I read VT's site a while ago and imagined the long version of the tapped horn lying on its side with speakers sitting on top of it at either end with books, etc. in-between them. It could be quite unobtrusive used that way (providing you have an empty wall to lie it against) and gets your floor speakers up to a better height for listening.

If these work worth a whit,

They do. However, just like all audio endeavors there's a price. A tapped horn will give great output but it's only good for about an octave in bandwidth. If you tune them to work with your mains then they can be fantastic. Since we're working with a known quantity in that capacity we should be able to work things out fine. If we figure 40Hz in-room for the Indignias then the 30Hz design would be pretty close to what we're looking for.

I'll play around the the design tool but, as I recall, tapped horns are somewhat flexible for drivers. We might be able to just adapt it to whatever driver we like.

I'll play around the the design tool but, as I recall, tapped horns are somewhat flexible for drivers. We might be able to just adapt it to whatever driver we like.
There may be clues to what's optimum in Danley's tapped horn white paper.

Max mentioned W8-740P, but that it would require a larger cab.

I think we want small.... :dunno:

Back
Top Bottom