Pioneer sx-950 preamp use

NICKAVIVA1

AK Member
Hello, Im new here and I am also a pioneer nut.I have an sx-950
I would like to ask anyone , what can I use the preamp out /in jacks for?
Is there any purpose of these??I would appreciate any feedback
Thanks
Nickaviva

Pioneer sx-950
pioneer sx-880
pioneer sx-990
pioneer sx-770
pioneer sx-650
pioneer sg-9 eq
pioneer cf-t950 cassete
harmon kardon dvd47 for cd"s
Klipsch kg5.5
klipsch klf-20
klipsch ksw30 sub

They're kind of like an effects loop. You connect your proccesors (EQ, Reverb, Expander etc) to them. The signal goes out, through your processor chain and back in to the amp section.

Thanks, I have been using an aux jack for my Eq.should I remove the jumpers
and use the preamp jacks Instead??
Thanks

The eq really should go in the "Tape Monitor" or "Adapter" loop. This will add the least amount of noise and allow you to switch the eq in and out of the circuit easily. Personally, I would use the "Adapter" loop. That will put the eq after all inputs, including the "Tape "Monitor", in the signal path and just before the Stereo/Mono, Balance and Volume controls.

The "Pre Out" can be used if you want to use the SX-950 as a preamp to drive an external amplifier. For example: this can be useful if you want or need an amplifier with more power to drive power hungry speakers . In this scenario you would remove the jumpers and connect the SX-950's 'Pre Out" to the "Main In" of your external power amplifier. Connect nothing to the "Power In" of the SX-950.

The "Power In" can be used for the opposite purpose. If you have a preamp and want to use the SX-950's power amp to drive your speakers. In that case you remove the jumpers and connect the external preamp's "Main Out" to the SX-950's "Power In". Connect nothing to the "Pre Out of the SX-950.

Last edited:
Thanks so much, makes perfect sense.
I have this klipsch powered sub and when I hook it through
my speaker terminals from reciever, with a set of speakers out from it.
I get a mono type sound from the speakers it appears.
anyway to connect this sub for best stereo signal to speakers.??
Or connect sub just for base, like a sub out on newer recievers.
Appreciate any Ideas.
Thanks again.

If your sub has only one set of terminals to hook it up do not hook wire it to both the left and right speaker terminals of your receiver. You can fry the outputs of the receiver.

What model sub is it?

Hello its a klipsch sw12ii. with sub jacks and 2 sets of speaker terminals
i know if i had a mordern reciever, i could use the sub out right??
but with my sx-950 i am keeping.
please advise
thanks

I would say to go with the installation instructions from page 7 of the user manual.
Click the following link to download manual.
http://www.klipsch.com/images/download/265.aspx

Using the directions on page 7 will allow the SX-950 to control the volume of the sub and the main speakers at the same time. It involves installing a Y adapter at the left and right channel "Pre Out" of the SX-950. One leg of each Y adapter will go to the sub and the other leg of each Y adapter will loop back to the "Power In" of the SX-950.

You could use this Y adapter: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103861#
The 2 male ends can connect between the "Pre Out" and "Main In" of each channel of the SX-950 and connect a cable from the female ends to the appropriate sub inputs.

The manual shows several ways to install the sub so if you don't want to use the option on page 7 you can try one of the other methods.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom