Fisher custom futura?

sobr1

found one this morning.I was looking for a stereo cabinet and found this.its all there nice(looks like cherry).Is this a good starting point to dabble in a tube set up?

What's the model #. The F590 is a Hybrid(1965) as is the F591(1966). The 62 to 64 are complete tube. And it's just "FUTURA". No Custom in this one.

As for being a good start, OH YEAH, Definately a good start.

:worthless

Get some pictures up PRONTO! 1956 model. I don't think we've had a pre-58 FISHER console shown yet. It's DEFINATELY MONO! Stereo didn't come out until 1957-58 or so. It's still a good start. Might be hard to find a schematic tho.

Get us some pics and I'll get RED on the thread.

Larry

here are the pics

Attachments

• SDC10127.jpg
    SDC10127.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 170
  • SDC10128.jpg
    SDC10128.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 156
  • SDC10129.jpg
    SDC10129.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 109
  • SDC10130.jpg
    SDC10130.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 131
  • SDC10132.jpg
    SDC10132.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 110
Beautiful!

The cabinet looks to be in nice shape. if it were me I would just clean it and wax it. Maybe some matching stain to hide some of the wood nicks. I like the original look of cabinetry if it is not all beat up. A complete refinish will take away some of the charm of that vintage piece IMO

56CustomFuturaNov55.jpg

Larry nailed the year: 1956 (The ad is from Nov. '55). The Custom Futura was only produced for one model year like my Premiere. It appears to have been one notch below the Custom Electras which retailed for $595 but still quite expensive for the mid-50s at $429.50. Your model was the 'Covington' denoted by the 'C' in the model number. The wood should be mahogany. The other models were the 'Brittany' (BJ-10, a Provincial model in fruitwood) and the 'Tempo' (TJ-10, an almost Art Deco looking cabinet in limed oak with a blonde finish). The chassis should be the R-20.

I'm very impressed with the overall condition. You should have no trouble turning that into a showpiece. Did you get any documentation or history with it?

DAMN! BLEW IT AGAIN! FISHER bandied around "CUSTOM" more than a pimp throwing supposedly clean hookers on the fleet. Funny how the Futura started below the Electra and ended up above the Electra.

But by Gawd that is one GORGEOUS Console. A little Howards, and you should be set cabinet wise.

Caps, resistors, maybe tubes. And you'll have a sweet little console.

Congrats.

Larry

Funny how the Futura started below the Electra and ended up above the Electra.
Both the FUTURA and ELECTRA model names go all the way back before WWII to Avery Fisher's first company, Philharmonic Radio. I believe the FUTURA was the lesser of the two being an 11-tube set versus the Electra's 14. The ELECTRA might possibly have been alternately or originally known as the 'Linear Standard' model as it was also a 14-tube set.

In Jan. 1940 Consumer Reports rated Philharmonic's 'Linear Standard' model its top pick among the 'high-fidelity' radio-phonographs. The FUTURA came in a close second with the only obvious difference being slightly less power.

Fisher's use of 'CUSTOM' dates back to 1951 with the introduction of their top-of-the-line CUSTOM SIXTY model ($1,330!) Then in 1955 that term migrated over to the middle-of-the-line ELECTRA and FUTURA models.

I would like to get her up and running,but im not a tube guy?would i be screwing with this?

Tube gear is pretty easy to work on, much more so than most solid state. Just be careful of the high voltages. Recap that beast and get it playing!

Agree with Sam. tube gear IS easier to work on. And the voltages are WAY higher when operating. But when it's unplugged and prepped, it's no more dangerous than a SS unit. The cool factor is definately there on this one. How many people have a 1956 FISHER console in their house. Most are 60's units.

Larry

There has to be an AKer close by if you're in Northwest Connecticut. Are you near I84 near the Mass Pike? Markus lives near there.

There has to be an AKer close by if you're in Northwest Connecticut.
Very close by in fact. We live in the same town! sobr1 and I have reached an agreement and the '56 Fisher will be joining the Relaximus Gallery of Stereo and HiFi Consoles later this week. I'll (hopefully) start into it this weekend and get an inventory of caps that I'll need. If anyone has a schematic handy for the R-20 chassis, I'd really appreciate it.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom