Project TD 124

gillsev

Still under construction ...

projecttd124.jpg

My SME 3009 Series II (Improved) just came the other day. The mushrooms and the Shure cartridge arrived last week. I had the plinth reworked by my woodworker at the Home Depot and had him jigsawed out the section beneath the armboard since the plinth was solid (not hollow) leaving no space at all for the SME beneath the armboard. The plinth is also not as thick leaving the motor protruding a little bit underneath that I have to get brass cone feet to elevate it for clearance. Cone feet will be here next week. The spirit level is also on the way since mine is all dried up.

See that syringe? I'll be injecting 5W/30 motor oil on that spindle bearing. Probably just 1/3rd full because once the shaft is inserted there, it would saturate the entirety as it rises.

I have tested it when it first arrived. So far so good. The speed holds steady on all 4 speeds and stablizes within 5 min. on the stroboscope. It comes up to speed very fast on all 4 speeds. It's very quiet and smooth. I think I had a fair price on it at $850 (including plinth & armboard).

The Plinth (Solid Walnut) ...

plinth.jpg

The scribbled red line is where I had my woodworker jigsawed it out.

Stay tuned for the progress report (on this thread) ... :banana:

For now, I'm using my Garrard Lab 80 - fulltime.

Last edited:
Just got home from the Home Depot to pick up my plinth. God bless that guy's heart as he didn't want to charge me anything. I was getting out my checkbook to pay him but he didn't want it. There are still good guys around town even in this hard up economy :thmbsp:

But here she is (as you can see what I meant by the motor protruding beneath) ...

1040051.jpg

Top view ...

1040052.jpg

With the brass cone feet, she is gonna look very sharp! :thmbsp:

That looks like it's going to be really nice once it's finished. I like the solid plinth and armboard. I wouldn't worry about the motor sticking down below the plinth. You will never see it under normal circumstances anyway.

That's going to be lovely when it's done. I've had a thing for walnut ever since my first woodworking class in grade school. Keep us posted!

Is it difficult to replace the level? Mine is dried and have thought about buying a replacement...

I asked the guy selling it the same question and he responded,

"There is a hole on the bottom of the chassis, just below the level and you will spot it easily if you tun the chassis up side down.
Use a blunt end rod, about 3/16" in diameter and knock the old level out
."

Thanks gillsev for that link
I'll have to buy one.
Are you putting a 12" arm on there? The arm board looks wider than the original.
Kim

Thanks gillsev for that link
I'll have to buy one.
Are you putting a 12" arm on there? The arm board looks wider than the original.
Kim

No, I'll be installing the SME 3009 Series II (Improved). The previous owner used a 9" Well Tempered arm. A 12" arm would require an even wider armboard than what it is now. It would look something like this ...

41647689.jpg

The Plinth (Solid Walnut) ...

plinth.jpg

May I ask a question (anyone to chime in)?
What is the deal w/ walnut plinths that seems do popular? Is it just the cosmetic beauty of walnut, or is there more to the sonic value of a hardwood like walnut? If it is for sonic reasons aren't there better hardwoods for that purpose?

May I ask a question (anyone to chime in)?
What is the deal w/ walnut plinths that seems do popular? Is it just the cosmetic beauty of walnut, or is there more to the sonic value of a hardwood like walnut? If it is for sonic reasons aren't there better hardwoods for that purpose?

I think it is for both cosmetic & sonic.

Congratulations on a wonderful project. I cant wait to see the finished
product. I love vintage TT's. I have a Empire 208 with Jelco 750D arm that
I am loving.......:thmbsp:

I love those TT's. My Wallpaper at work has a very elegant TD124 on it. I think $850.00 was a steal! Love your eye for vintage TT's Gillsev!

When you replace your belt, make sure you use a genuine Thorens. They're exactly the right size. All of the others I've tried are too small, which put too much lateral tension on the pulleys.

You can buy them from William Thakker on eBay.

When you replace your belt, make sure you use a genuine Thorens. They're exactly the right size. All of the others I've tried are too small, which put too much lateral tension on the pulleys.

You can buy them from William Thakker on eBay.

Thanks for the tip (I'll keep that in mind) but my belt is still very good. So is my rubber idler wheel. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom