• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2215

madmonk67

New Member
I was at a monthly electronics swap meet in Dallas and a guy there I know let me have a 2215 for $30. Powers up, looks really clean. All posts and switches are cleaned and both channels work. There is a problem however with one of the channels getting a low level white noise that is constant. And occasionally crackles a little.
From what I know this typical of caps gone bad. I do not have a service manual, and have searched online to no avail. I want to check for proper voltages etc...I suppose I will start by simply cleaning it up further and replacing the filter caps.

Does anyone out there have a 2215 service manual?
Any suggestions or recommendations greatly appreciated!

-Jefferson
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello,

This symptom is common in the earlier model Marantz 2215, 2220, 2230 and int amps as well. There are 6 transistors on the tone amp board, one usually goes out giving a sort of frying egg sound. Just replace all six, and you will be good to go. Be careful of orientation as the replacement transistors will more than likely be in a to92 package and will appear to be "facing" the opposite direction. I do not have a schematic for it, but you can check hifiengine, the 2220 may be close enough to get you going.
 
The 2215 service manual I just uploaded has been added to the database, so have at it and happy hunting!
 
Thanks roggom and ZeroG! Roggom- I think you are exactly right. I have my tape outs going thru a perfectly good Onkyo reciever and all is well. So it DOES seem to be the power amp section. And I have already recapped most of that. So transistors I bet are the culprit! I will order some new ones and post here the results.
ZeroG - I looked pretty extensively to find that manual with no luck. Thanks a million for uploading it!

You guys rule.
 
I replaced the 6 transistors on the tone board with 6 2sc2240's....problem solved!
I worked the pots and a little DeOxit....sounds really good now. A little weak stereo separation on the FM mode, but I will consult the service manual on how to adjust that.
Thanks amigos!
 
Back
Top Bottom