H.H. Scott 222c modified by Mapleshade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonance'84

moe.ron
Subscriber
A friend let me borrow the Mapleshade mail order catalog, and I read through it and liked their approach getting the listener as close to the music as possible. I wasn't in the market for an amp, but the description for the "restored and ultra-modified" H.H. Scott integrated got me thinking. Maybe I can replace my amp/pre combo (listed in my signature) with this one unit, AND have it blow that combo away.

So, I did a lot of research on the amp and have only read good things. Then I called the manufacturer, Pierre Sprey at Mapleshade. After talking to him for about 30 minutes, I was sold. I have to hear it for myself, and with the 30-day money back guarantee, I can't go wrong. So, I placed an order for a my first tube amp! (http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/products.asp?dept=178) I chose a Scott 222C chassis. Here's what he says about he tube compliment: "We replace the original 7189 output tubes with a carefully matched, substantially cleaner-sounding set of new EL-84s--and then match carefully selected driver tubes to the output tubes in such a way as to minimize distortion, using in-circuit oscilloscope waveform analysis (note that tube tester matching is completely inadequate to achieve optimum sonics from tubes)." So, no tube rolling for me...just a plug and play vintage tube amp. He said it will take about 3-4 weeks before I'll get it on the doorstep. I can't wait! It should work great with my speakers too. I kinda need some extra cash at the moment, so, I'm selling the McIntosh stuff and that will afford me the Scott amp and put a good chunk back in my pocket. I hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.:scratch2:

Does anyone have a Mapleshade modded Scott amp or any thoughts on it? I'd like to hear what some tube experts have to say.

Cory

Last edited:
I have several Scott units, one is a 222B. None of these are Mapleshade units. I have seen their advertising but never knew anybody who owned one. You should be very pleased with your unit.

PS What he is saying is that he has biased your new tubes. These are probably Chinese, maybe Russian. I think Mapleshade replaces the old caps, Selenium rectifier, maybe some resistors. The good restoration uses replacement caps and resistors with similiar sonics. That can be a little bit of an art form. They may be pretty good doing the renovation since they have been selling these units for years.

Good luck with your new Scott, I think you'll like it!:music: Now you need to get a matching stereo tuner, like the 350.:D

Carl

dont know who mapleshade is but $1300 can buy you a mcintosh tube amp on a good day or give you plenty of options for a restored fisher tube receiver or pilot tube receiver around here.

unless money is not an object, i'd read more, learn more, and then make a purchase.

dont know who mapleshade is but $1300 can buy you a mcintosh tube amp on a good day or give you plenty of options for a restored fisher tube receiver or pilot tube receiver around here.

unless money is not an object, i'd read more, learn more, and then make a purchase.

So, you're saying that on a good day I can find a McIntosh tube amp/pre OR integrated, fully restored, needing NO WORK at all, for $1300? I'd like to see that. What model #'s are you referring to? I wouldn't own solid state Mac gear if that was the case. I waited a long time for "that" deal to come around and that's why I have the current combo. The Scott 222/299 is modified to be a giant killer(did you even click on the link and read?)...even if I did find a Mac tube amp/pre OR integrated for $1300, I don't think it would come close to how the modded Scott sounds, even if i sent it to Terry DeWick before using it.

Also, I am looking at the regular Scott amp($1175), NOT the high-power Scott($1375). The prices I've seen NOSvalves sell their Scott amps for are not that different from what I paid. I don't want a receiver either, I don't use the tuner. A Scott 222 or 299 integrated has to be equal, if not better than a Fisher or Pilot receiver. Especially when fully restored and modified. Mapleshade does the most extensive servicing on Scott amps than anyone else as far as I've read.

Sorry to come off defensive, but I've been doing research for over a year on tube gear, mainly vintage. Money is an object and I don't like to waste it. How long did you research before making your first tube purchase ke4mcl? Were you completely satisfied? You couldn't even give me a suggestion on which model Fisher or Pilot I might look at instead of the Scott 222C.

Anyways, back to the topic...

Last edited:
i own an mc225, an mc240, a c22, an sa1000, (2) fisher 400 preamps, and countless other pieces. i make less than 25k a year.

yes, you can find nice mac pieces for less than what they want for that scott. you need to search better and have cash in hand. the economy sucks. theres deals to be had.

its your cash. im merely suggesting more research may be in order.

i own an mc225, an mc240, a c22, an sa1000, (2) fisher 400 preamps, and countless other pieces. i make less than 25k a year.

yes, you can find nice mac pieces for less than what they want for that scott. you need to search better and have cash in hand. the economy sucks. theres deals to be had.

its your cash. im merely suggesting more research may be in order.

Do you do all the repair work yourself? I ask because some of us do not have the skills to restore a unit at the price range you refer to. Sometimes paying a premium for work that is already done is a great piece of mind to some of us that are "electronically challenged".

i fix 99% of my broken stuff myself. self taught by reading books and breaking things. i assure you i am no rocket scientist. not all was broken when i got it. most was via lots of wheeling and dealing. only one piece, the mc225 i actually paid asking price for.

there are deals to be had out there. yard sales, estate sales, craigslist, etc. put it to you this way. the mc240 i have i technically paid $10 for. i purchased an antique radio from somebody for $10. it turned out to be one of 7 known to exist. i traded the radio for a mcintosh serviced mc240 shipped to my door.

this why i say to the OP, do more research. its not the first time i hear of somebody showing up to an estate sale of a ticked off ex wife and buying a whole highend system for a few hundred bucks. yeah, its work and luck but when it pays out you'll be real happy.

Don't get me wrong... I understand deals are out there. I got a similar deal on my Rega P2. Free... my favorite price. I was just stating that some of us like the piece of mind of having something that is 100% operational.

I understand that deals are around too, that's how I came across my turntable, speakers and my McIntosh gear. I don't find tube amps though.

Scott provided excellent and honest performance documentation for all of their gear. This group provides precious little, with the power output spec given being highly questionable. It reminds me of the way overstated specs given for the cheap stuff in the backs of catalogs back in the 50s and 60s. This comes down to what you want, and trusting this group to provide it by way of their performance description. I would surely research what others think who have laid down that kind of cash for equipment from this group.

Not every town is like yours. Where I live, you only find junk at garage sales/estate sales. The days of finding tube gear, are long gone.

As for receivers, I would rather own a clean amp. I don't need all the added junk, of a receiver. Should FM improve around here, I would just buy a seperate tube tuner.

actually i was referring to AK barter town. theres some nice gear thats already been serviced that pops up here from trusted individuals.

I'd also like to see/hear the MC circuit.:scratch2:

With some Edcor transformers, you can make a unity-coupled amplifier for a fraction of the MCamp cost. I did it for probably $800 in parts (ball park) for a stereo amp. Of course, I got to spread it out over many paychecks too, which helps.

The days of find someone who does not know the value of a tube mac are OVER! Many years ago I bought a cheap ss integrated from a variety shop, but was not satisfied with the sound and returned it. The seller instead of giving me back my cash reached down under his counter and handed me this heavy Mac 240, which I unhesitantly received.:D

I will be interested in hearing your opinion. I have a 299D being worked on at NOS valves. I have also read a lot of good reviews on the Scott tube lineup.

I will be interested in hearing your opinion. I have a 299D being worked on at NOS valves. I have also read a lot of good reviews on the Scott tube lineup.

X2, Will be looking forward to review/detailed pictures of their work. Scott made some nice looking units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom