• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL Hartsfield replica review

vinylvision

New Member
I thought I would post my review from AudioAsylum for your enjoyment.


1271100562.jpg



Model: JBL Hartsfield Replica
Category: Speakers
Suggested Retail Price: $13,500/Pair
Description: Dynamic, Folded Corner Horn manufactured originally from 1954-1964
Manufacturer: JR Sound Company

I own some great speakers that are benchmarks for what they do. For example:

Quad57's- Incredible, open midrange, but limited frequency extremes
Magnepan Tympani 1-D's- Amazing dynamics, fast bass, and HUGE soundstage, but limited to solid state amps and large rooms
KLH Nines- Dynamics, scale, warmth, 3-d imaging, and an ability to be driven by a Marantz 8b, but a beamy treble
Chartwell Ls3/5a's: Very even frequency response, Quads in a shoe box, but again, limited frequency extremes

I keep these speakers because there are areas where they excel over all others, but I have yet to find a speaker that combines all these best characteristics, until now...

The JBL Hartsfield Replica.

Even more legendary than the other speakers I mentioned and for good reason. I've lusted after them for years, but always considered them to be unobtainable. Rarely are they seen for sale and when they are, you can expect a price of $20K-$40K for a pair...Gulp. Seeking out a replica was going to be my only financial option.
Having heard of Classic Audio Reproductions and their Hartsfield replica, I decided to look for the builder of these speakers and through my research, I was led directly to Bob Jacobson at JR Sound Co. I contacted Bob and told him of my interest. He explained to me how C.A.R. contracted him over 20 years ago to build the first 6 pairs, how more were ordered and completed, and then how their business relationship dissolved over cost increases. He also added the irony in my calling him, as he had been itching to start building Hartsfields again!
I contracted Bob to build a single speaker for me as I am interested in the virtues of MONO. It seems logical to me that the speakers of a particular period are voiced to the music of that period. That is why The Hartsfield, Klipschorn, Altec, and Electrovoice corner horns are most often recommended for mono systems.
Bob got to work immediately, kept me constantly informed, and 3 weeks later- I was uncrating a Hartsfield! Pictures of the process can be seen here-
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...viewPicture&friendID=498590980&albumId=773475

I have been married to Mrs. H for 3 months now. I have enjoyed every moment with her, even now as I listen to Jutta Hipp w/zoot sims on a mono lp. This speaker combines all the best attributes of the other classic speakers I own. It has the lifelike mids of a Quad57, but with far more high and low frequency extension. It has the dynamics and soundstage of Magnepan Tympani 1-D's, but because of high sensitivity and efficient design, it can be driven with 15 tube watts! It has the warmth and 3-D imaging of KLH Nines, but has a more even frequency response like the Ls3/5a's. The 2-way, folded corner horn Hartsfield has a coherence and a startling realism that the others do not. I can't tell you how many times, in the last 3 months, I have had an adrenaline rush thinking I was having a home invasion. I can't listen to the soundtrack from Apocalypse Now without taking cover. The barking dog track at the end of Pet Sounds sends my dog into attack mode every time. I have never heard a vocal project like this or a guitar sound more natural. From rock to jazz, from vocal to classical, this speaker truly does it all and better than anything else I have ever heard!
This Hartsfield cabinet is an Exact replica, not a close approximation. Bob is a master craftsman and has the original blue-prints. The drivers he chose to install, like the JBL 2440 high frequency compression driver, is the pro version of the 375 used originally and the Alnico D-130 baskets reconed with a 2205 woofer kit is simply the best replacement for the 150-4c. The pro 2390 horn + lens assembly is exactly the same as the Hartsfield 5039 horn + lens. It's funny how JBL simply changed model numbers on the same parts.

I can't believe that I actually own a Hartsfield! I have never been so thrilled with any other single audio purchase before now.
I am very impressed with Bobs ability. The crating and shipping, the fit and finish of the Hartsfield, and his professionalism.
I will be ordering another as soon as I return to stereo... * edited by moderator *

Dreams come true!




Product Weakness: None. Nope. Nothing.
Product Strengths: Dynamics, scale, 3-D imaging, warmth, startling realism...and she's gorgeous!
Associated Equipment for this Review:
Amplifier: Quad II Classic reissue
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): Marantz 7c
Sources (CDP/Turntable): Nakamichi Dragon CT/Denon DL-102 Mono REL Precedent mono FM tuner
Speakers: JBL Hartsfield Replica
Cables/Interconnects: Plain Ole Wire
Music Used (Genre/Selections): Everything but Irish Jig...
Room Size (LxWxH): 17ft. x 17ft. x 8ft.
Time Period/Length of Audition: 3 Months
Other (Power Conditioner etc.): Panamax 1000
Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Register to hide this ad
Yes, I've seen the pair that is listed on audiogon, and they are absolutely magnificent.
How I wish I had the mad money lying around to buy them.

I seen, and heard a pair of the C.A.R. Repros that looked just like those back in 1997 at an audio show at the Palmer House Hotel in Downtown Chicago.

I got to examine-touch them, I believe I remember them saying that either JBL, or TAD drivers could be used? Not sure which, or where?

But sadly, I was only able to hear them at horribly low doctor's office levels, no matter how much I begged them to let em sing. There was a few old ladies in the large room, and that was their excuse for not cranking the volume. I further begged "turn those puppies up, and we'll get rid of them!?", to no avail. I remember somebody trying to hand me some Chocolate Chip Cookies in that room, and I was like "hell, I don't want any cookies, I wanna hear those speakers!"

Sad, that I'll probably wonder for the rest of my days just how they sounded?
Thanks for your review, and your pics too! I'm very sure they are amazing! Mark D.
 
If I remember correctly, that the asking price in 1997 was exactly the same as is listed on this new pair on audiogon.

In fact, I still have the paperwork from C.A.R. on these Speakers stored here somewhere. Mark
 
I thought I would post my review from AudioAsylum for your enjoyment.


1271100562.jpg



Model: JBL Hartsfield Replica
Category: Speakers
Suggested Retail Price: $13,500/Pair
Description: Dynamic, Folded Corner Horn manufactured originally from 1954-1964
Manufacturer: JR Sound Company

I own some great speakers that are benchmarks for what they do. For example:

Quad57's- Incredible, open midrange, but limited frequency extremes
Magnepan Tympani 1-D's- Amazing dynamics, fast bass, and HUGE soundstage, but limited to solid state amps and large rooms
KLH Nines- Dynamics, scale, warmth, 3-d imaging, and an ability to be driven by a Marantz 8b, but a beamy treble
Chartwell Ls3/5a's: Very even frequency response, Quads in a shoe box, but again, limited frequency extremes

I keep these speakers because there are areas where they excel over all others, but I have yet to find a speaker that combines all these best characteristics, until now...

The JBL Hartsfield Replica.

Even more legendary than the other speakers I mentioned and for good reason. I've lusted after them for years, but always considered them to be unobtainable. Rarely are they seen for sale and when they are, you can expect a price of $20K-$40K for a pair...Gulp. Seeking out a replica was going to be my only financial option.
Having heard of Classic Audio Reproductions and their Hartsfield replica, I decided to look for the builder of these speakers and through my research, I was led directly to Bob Jacobson at JR Sound Co. I contacted Bob and told him of my interest. He explained to me how C.A.R. contracted him over 20 years ago to build the first 6 pairs, how more were ordered and completed, and then how their business relationship dissolved over cost increases. He also added the irony in my calling him, as he had been itching to start building Hartsfields again!
I contracted Bob to build a single speaker for me as I am interested in the virtues of MONO. It seems logical to me that the speakers of a particular period are voiced to the music of that period. That is why The Hartsfield, Klipschorn, Altec, and Electrovoice corner horns are most often recommended for mono systems.
Bob got to work immediately, kept me constantly informed, and 3 weeks later- I was uncrating a Hartsfield! Pictures of the process can be seen here-
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...viewPicture&friendID=498590980&albumId=773475

I have been married to Mrs. H for 3 months now. I have enjoyed every moment with her, even now as I listen to Jutta Hipp w/zoot sims on a mono lp. This speaker combines all the best attributes of the other classic speakers I own. It has the lifelike mids of a Quad57, but with far more high and low frequency extension. It has the dynamics and soundstage of Magnepan Tympani 1-D's, but because of high sensitivity and efficient design, it can be driven with 15 tube watts! It has the warmth and 3-D imaging of KLH Nines, but has a more even frequency response like the Ls3/5a's. The 2-way, folded corner horn Hartsfield has a coherence and a startling realism that the others do not. I can't tell you how many times, in the last 3 months, I have had an adrenaline rush thinking I was having a home invasion. I can't listen to the soundtrack from Apocalypse Now without taking cover. The barking dog track at the end of Pet Sounds sends my dog into attack mode every time. I have never heard a vocal project like this or a guitar sound more natural. From rock to jazz, from vocal to classical, this speaker truly does it all and better than anything else I have ever heard!
This Hartsfield cabinet is an Exact replica, not a close approximation. Bob is a master craftsman and has the original blue-prints. The drivers he chose to install, like the JBL 2440 high frequency compression driver, is the pro version of the 375 used originally and the Alnico D-130 baskets reconed with a 2205 woofer kit is simply the best replacement for the 150-4c. The pro 2390 horn + lens assembly is exactly the same as the Hartsfield 5039 horn + lens. It's funny how JBL simply changed model numbers on the same parts.

I can't believe that I actually own a Hartsfield! I have never been so thrilled with any other single audio purchase before now.
I am very impressed with Bobs ability. The crating and shipping, the fit and finish of the Hartsfield, and his professionalism.
I will be ordering another as soon as I return to stereo... * edited by moderator *

Dreams come true!




Product Weakness: None. Nope. Nothing.
Product Strengths: Dynamics, scale, 3-D imaging, warmth, startling realism...and she's gorgeous!
Associated Equipment for this Review:
Amplifier: Quad II Classic reissue
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): Marantz 7c
Sources (CDP/Turntable): Nakamichi Dragon CT/Denon DL-102 Mono REL Precedent mono FM tuner
Speakers: JBL Hartsfield Replica
Cables/Interconnects: Plain Ole Wire
Music Used (Genre/Selections): Everything but Irish Jig...
Room Size (LxWxH): 17ft. x 17ft. x 8ft.
Time Period/Length of Audition: 3 Months
Other (Power Conditioner etc.): Panamax 1000
Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner

To my knowledge the d-130 remained in production longer than any speaker in history. Much like the 265 cid Chevy engine, if your original design is good you need not change it.
Speaking of classic JBL's, ever listened to a Paragon? Not only was it a knock-down, G.T.H. design to look at but the sound was to commit mass homicide for. Only saw and heard 1 in my life and that was at the Dockside high rise in Charleston, SC in 1983. The memory will remain until I die, or worse.:yes:
 
Strange how the OP made only 1 post... never followed up. I really wonder how the replicas stack up to the original.

The other thing... if the JBL Hartsfield is so incredibly legendary, why hasn't JBL released a Hartsfield II? Or, have they come up with something that is a "natural evolution" with even better performance?
 
Strange how the OP made only 1 post... never followed up. I really wonder how the replicas stack up to the original.

The other thing... if the JBL Hartsfield is so incredibly legendary, why hasn't JBL released a Hartsfield II? Or, have they come up with something that is a "natural evolution" with even better performance?

And it took him over 3 years after signing up to finaly post.
 
Hey guys-

Here is my 3 year follow up-
I tried K-145's (150-4c equivalent) and adding a 2402 bullet tweeter. The K145's were weak compared to the 2205's I use and the bullet was too spitty and didn't blend well with the 2440/aluminum diaphragm.
I would really like to try the Truextent Beryllium diaphragms next.
I also had JBL 4345 replicas built by Bob @ JR sound 9 months ago. I prefer the Hartsfields - a folded horn with a 2440 on top is all I need...
That's all for now, until 2017!

Cheers,

Michael
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0729.jpg
    DSCN0729.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 383
Last edited by a moderator:
Sir, you have some amazing speakers there. The Hartsfield replicas were only $6,750 each and each took only three weeks to build? That's just amazing.

What confuses me is your mention in the first post, of "imaging" and "sound stage" on a single Hartsfield: How is that even possible?
 
Last edited:
Thanks to CLS500 for your exuberant response. You obviously have a zest for life.
Mr. Zonker92, I challenge you to let go of your conspiratorial attitude and judgmental tone. I would also encourage you to explore the joys of mono and the expense of Blue Note jazz lp's.

Bring joy to your life and to those around you,

Peace
 
Hey guys-

Here is my 3 year follow up-
I tried K-145's (150-4c equivalent) and adding a 2402 bullet tweeter. The K145's were weak compared to the 2205's I use and the bullet was too spitty and didn't blend well with the 2440/aluminum diaphragm.
I would really like to try the Truextent Beryllium diaphragms next.
I also had JBL 4345 replicas built by Bob @ JR sound 9 months ago. I prefer the Hartsfields - a folded horn with a 2440 on top is all I need...
That's all for now, until 2017!

Cheers,

Michael
Michael,
The speakers are great but what about the "woofers" in front of and laying on the couch?
 
Mr. Zonker92, I challenge you to let go of your conspiratorial attitude and judgmental tone. I would also encourage you to explore the joys of mono and the expense of Blue Note jazz lp's.

Bring joy to your life and to those around you,

Peace

Well, OK then. :D
 
But sadly, I was only able to hear them at horribly low doctor's office levels, no matter how much I begged them to let em sing. There was a few old ladies in the large room, and that was their excuse for not cranking the volume. I further begged "turn those puppies up, and we'll get rid of them!?", to no avail. I remember somebody trying to hand me some Chocolate Chip Cookies in that room, and I was like "hell, I don't want any cookies, I wanna hear those speakers!"

How ironic as the couple of times C.A.R. was at AKFests, they certainly had no problem cutting loose. I distinctly remember getting blasted out of the room by some Kraftwerk, "Tour De France". My room was across the hall. We kept the door shut :yes:

I also remember a sublime playing of The Allman Brothers "Live at the Fillmore", "Stormy Monday".

Hartfields and tubes. It was sweet.
 
I thought I would post my review from AudioAsylum for your enjoyment.

Awesome History!


1271100562.jpg



Model: JBL Hartsfield Replica
Category: Speakers
Suggested Retail Price: $13,500/Pair
Description: Dynamic, Folded Corner Horn manufactured originally from 1954-1964
Manufacturer: JR Sound Company

I own some great speakers that are benchmarks for what they do. For example:

Quad57's- Incredible, open midrange, but limited frequency extremes
Magnepan Tympani 1-D's- Amazing dynamics, fast bass, and HUGE soundstage, but limited to solid state amps and large rooms
KLH Nines- Dynamics, scale, warmth, 3-d imaging, and an ability to be driven by a Marantz 8b, but a beamy treble
Chartwell Ls3/5a's: Very even frequency response, Quads in a shoe box, but again, limited frequency extremes

I keep these speakers because there are areas where they excel over all others, but I have yet to find a speaker that combines all these best characteristics, until now...

The JBL Hartsfield Replica.

Even more legendary than the other speakers I mentioned and for good reason. I've lusted after them for years, but always considered them to be unobtainable. Rarely are they seen for sale and when they are, you can expect a price of $20K-$40K for a pair...Gulp. Seeking out a replica was going to be my only financial option.
Having heard of Classic Audio Reproductions and their Hartsfield replica, I decided to look for the builder of these speakers and through my research, I was led directly to Bob Jacobson at JR Sound Co. I contacted Bob and told him of my interest. He explained to me how C.A.R. contracted him over 20 years ago to build the first 6 pairs, how more were ordered and completed, and then how their business relationship dissolved over cost increases. He also added the irony in my calling him, as he had been itching to start building Hartsfields again!
I contracted Bob to build a single speaker for me as I am interested in the virtues of MONO. It seems logical to me that the speakers of a particular period are voiced to the music of that period. That is why The Hartsfield, Klipschorn, Altec, and Electrovoice corner horns are most often recommended for mono systems.
Bob got to work immediately, kept me constantly informed, and 3 weeks later- I was uncrating a Hartsfield! Pictures of the process can be seen here-
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...viewPicture&friendID=498590980&albumId=773475

I have been married to Mrs. H for 3 months now. I have enjoyed every moment with her, even now as I listen to Jutta Hipp w/zoot sims on a mono lp. This speaker combines all the best attributes of the other classic speakers I own. It has the lifelike mids of a Quad57, but with far more high and low frequency extension. It has the dynamics and soundstage of Magnepan Tympani 1-D's, but because of high sensitivity and efficient design, it can be driven with 15 tube watts! It has the warmth and 3-D imaging of KLH Nines, but has a more even frequency response like the Ls3/5a's. The 2-way, folded corner horn Hartsfield has a coherence and a startling realism that the others do not. I can't tell you how many times, in the last 3 months, I have had an adrenaline rush thinking I was having a home invasion. I can't listen to the soundtrack from Apocalypse Now without taking cover. The barking dog track at the end of Pet Sounds sends my dog into attack mode every time. I have never heard a vocal project like this or a guitar sound more natural. From rock to jazz, from vocal to classical, this speaker truly does it all and better than anything else I have ever heard!
This Hartsfield cabinet is an Exact replica, not a close approximation. Bob is a master craftsman and has the original blue-prints. The drivers he chose to install, like the JBL 2440 high frequency compression driver, is the pro version of the 375 used originally and the Alnico D-130 baskets reconed with a 2205 woofer kit is simply the best replacement for the 150-4c. The pro 2390 horn + lens assembly is exactly the same as the Hartsfield 5039 horn + lens. It's funny how JBL simply changed model numbers on the same parts.

I can't believe that I actually own a Hartsfield! I have never been so thrilled with any other single audio purchase before now.
I am very impressed with Bobs ability. The crating and shipping, the fit and finish of the Hartsfield, and his professionalism.
I will be ordering another as soon as I return to stereo... * edited by moderator *

Dreams come true!




Product Weakness: None. Nope. Nothing.
Product Strengths: Dynamics, scale, 3-D imaging, warmth, startling realism...and she's gorgeous!
Associated Equipment for this Review:
Amplifier: Quad II Classic reissue
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): Marantz 7c
Sources (CDP/Turntable): Nakamichi Dragon CT/Denon DL-102 Mono REL Precedent mono FM tuner
Speakers: JBL Hartsfield Replica
Cables/Interconnects: Plain Ole Wire
Music Used (Genre/Selections): Everything but Irish Jig...
Room Size (LxWxH): 17ft. x 17ft. x 8ft.
Time Period/Length of Audition: 3 Months
Other (Power Conditioner etc.): Panamax 1000
Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner
 
I thought I would post my review from AudioAsylum for your enjoyment.


1271100562.jpg



Model: JBL Hartsfield Replica
Category: Speakers
Suggested Retail Price: $13,500/Pair
Description: Dynamic, Folded Corner Horn manufactured originally from 1954-1964
Manufacturer: JR Sound Company

I own some great speakers that are benchmarks for what they do. For example:

Quad57's- Incredible, open midrange, but limited frequency extremes
Magnepan Tympani 1-D's- Amazing dynamics, fast bass, and HUGE soundstage, but limited to solid state amps and large rooms
KLH Nines- Dynamics, scale, warmth, 3-d imaging, and an ability to be driven by a Marantz 8b, but a beamy treble
Chartwell Ls3/5a's: Very even frequency response, Quads in a shoe box, but again, limited frequency extremes

I keep these speakers because there are areas where they excel over all others, but I have yet to find a speaker that combines all these best characteristics, until now...

The JBL Hartsfield Replica.

Even more legendary than the other speakers I mentioned and for good reason. I've lusted after them for years, but always considered them to be unobtainable. Rarely are they seen for sale and when they are, you can expect a price of $20K-$40K for a pair...Gulp. Seeking out a replica was going to be my only financial option.
Having heard of Classic Audio Reproductions and their Hartsfield replica, I decided to look for the builder of these speakers and through my research, I was led directly to Bob Jacobson at JR Sound Co. I contacted Bob and told him of my interest. He explained to me how C.A.R. contracted him over 20 years ago to build the first 6 pairs, how more were ordered and completed, and then how their business relationship dissolved over cost increases. He also added the irony in my calling him, as he had been itching to start building Hartsfields again!
I contracted Bob to build a single speaker for me as I am interested in the virtues of MONO. It seems logical to me that the speakers of a particular period are voiced to the music of that period. That is why The Hartsfield, Klipschorn, Altec, and Electrovoice corner horns are most often recommended for mono systems.
Bob got to work immediately, kept me constantly informed, and 3 weeks later- I was uncrating a Hartsfield! Pictures of the process can be seen here-
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...viewPicture&friendID=498590980&albumId=773475

I have been married to Mrs. H for 3 months now. I have enjoyed every moment with her, even now as I listen to Jutta Hipp w/zoot sims on a mono lp. This speaker combines all the best attributes of the other classic speakers I own. It has the lifelike mids of a Quad57, but with far more high and low frequency extension. It has the dynamics and soundstage of Magnepan Tympani 1-D's, but because of high sensitivity and efficient design, it can be driven with 15 tube watts! It has the warmth and 3-D imaging of KLH Nines, but has a more even frequency response like the Ls3/5a's. The 2-way, folded corner horn Hartsfield has a coherence and a startling realism that the others do not. I can't tell you how many times, in the last 3 months, I have had an adrenaline rush thinking I was having a home invasion. I can't listen to the soundtrack from Apocalypse Now without taking cover. The barking dog track at the end of Pet Sounds sends my dog into attack mode every time. I have never heard a vocal project like this or a guitar sound more natural. From rock to jazz, from vocal to classical, this speaker truly does it all and better than anything else I have ever heard!
This Hartsfield cabinet is an Exact replica, not a close approximation. Bob is a master craftsman and has the original blue-prints. The drivers he chose to install, like the JBL 2440 high frequency compression driver, is the pro version of the 375 used originally and the Alnico D-130 baskets reconed with a 2205 woofer kit is simply the best replacement for the 150-4c. The pro 2390 horn + lens assembly is exactly the same as the Hartsfield 5039 horn + lens. It's funny how JBL simply changed model numbers on the same parts.

I can't believe that I actually own a Hartsfield! I have never been so thrilled with any other single audio purchase before now.
I am very impressed with Bobs ability. The crating and shipping, the fit and finish of the Hartsfield, and his professionalism.
I will be ordering another as soon as I return to stereo... * edited by moderator *

Dreams come true!




Product Weakness: None. Nope. Nothing.
Product Strengths: Dynamics, scale, 3-D imaging, warmth, startling realism...and she's gorgeous!
Associated Equipment for this Review:
Amplifier: Quad II Classic reissue
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): Marantz 7c
Sources (CDP/Turntable): Nakamichi Dragon CT/Denon DL-102 Mono REL Precedent mono FM tuner
Speakers: JBL Hartsfield Replica
Cables/Interconnects: Plain Ole Wire
Music Used (Genre/Selections): Everything but Irish Jig...
Room Size (LxWxH): 17ft. x 17ft. x 8ft.
Time Period/Length of Audition: 3 Months
Other (Power Conditioner etc.): Panamax 1000
Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner


Awesome History!
 
Back
Top Bottom