Need help with 1952 admiral tv/phono/radio console in Columbus, Ohio

admiral1952

Hello all, I have just acquired a 1952 TV/phono/radio console made by Admiral. Chassis 19E1, model # 321DX16. I live in Columbus, Ohio and am looking for a repair or service technician that knows about these old things and is willing/actually still would work on one. I am an amateur and am scared I will electrocute myself! There are a lot of tubes etc and I haven't a clue about them.
The TV needs a new tube, and the phono table turns and spins my records, but no sound is coming out of the speaker. It would be great to have both the TV and phono/radio working, but honestly the main thing I'm interested in is just getting sound to come out of the speaker - I don't really watch much T.V., I spend most of my time listening to my records and really would like to be able to on this console.
I've heard of a couple places like Stereo Lab, Needle in a haystack, and abel audio. Does anyone out there know where/how I may begin to find someone who can assist me in getting this old console going? Any comments are appreciated.

Welcome!

If you feel comfortable digging into this yourself, post some pictures (if you can) and people here can get you going and maybe even point out something that might look out of place or dis-connected.

Don't be afraid of electrocuting yourself as long as you don't touch anything under the chassis while its powered up, or work on it out in a damp garage on the cement in your bare feet. :no: Save the TV for last as I am sure you want to get sound out of the radio/amplifier first.

You will get people here that will mention a capacitor replacement as a must, but sinse it has already been powered up, its not gonna smoke or pop or explode while you are doing basic checks. You want to get sound out of it first, so lets diagnose something that may be as simple as a dirty switch, or as difficult as a burnt or open resistor.

After you get sound and check it out for a spell, then decide to go all out on a basic recap for safety purposes, and a full or partial restoration.

Last edited:
Welcome to AK! Sorry can't help you much. You might try joining and posting this over at videokarma http://videokarma.org/ its mostly the same people over there, just that forum is dedicated to old tv and radio.

I live just south of columbus ohio anc can stop by and check the tubes for you.
I have a lot of TV tubes laying around so if there is a bad one I may have it and have no use for it.

Welcome!

If you feel comfortable digging into this yourself, post some pictures (if you can) and people here can get you going and maybe even point out something that might look out of place or dis-connected.

Don't be afraid of electrocuting yourself as long as you don't touch anything under the chassis while its powered up, or work on it out in a damp garage on the cement in your bare feet. :no: Save the TV for last as I am sure you want to get sound out of the radio/amplifier first.

You will get people here that will mention a capacitor replacement as a must, but sinse it has already been powered up, its not gonna smoke or pop or explode while you are doing basic checks. You want to get sound out of it first, so lets diagnose something that may be as simple as a dirty switch, or as difficult as a burnt or open resistor.

After you get sound and check it out for a spell, then decide to go all out on a basic recap for safety purposes, and a full or partial restoration.
that sounds good, I will post some pics. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom