Marantz 1060 restoration

Sir.Byrd

Lunatic Member
Did a little refresh here, basically followed the BIG thread on 1060 recapping/upgrades.
Parts used are Nichicon Gold Tune, KZ, KW, FG, ES and WIMA film caps, with Vishay-Sprague bypass caps on the filters. I also replaced some of the small signal transistors on the tone and preamp boards with some new Toshibas per the thread.
DSC_0005-25.jpg

DSC_0010-16.jpg

DSC_0009-18.jpg

DSC_0014-8.jpg

DSC_0018-11.jpg

Look how nicely everything comes together!
The filter caps were an experiment with fancy-pants caps, but I think it turned out really nicely. The power supply cap is 50mm! Fit like a glove, there is less than 1mm of space between the top of the cap and the metal case.

Geeze, you did a nice job there. :thmbsp: I might have to keep this one after all. This really started out to be a simple recap, so I could easily sell it as such, but Sir.Byrd talked me into gettin' a little crazy with it, which probably wasn't too hard to do. ;) If it sounds as nice as I think it might, I'll probably change my mind about selling it. :yes:

Whoa, this is your best resto yet! Great looking work, I really dig the look of the coupling and the filter caps. And that is a huge heatsink for a 30WPC amp.

VERY nice! :thmbsp:

You have me thinking, tempted... I have a couple of those hanging around, including one untouched one that definitely needs a recap. It has potential, as it is cosmetically nice (including the wood case) and worthy of something like that treatment... Hhhhhhmmmm....

Did you add the bypass caps on the coupling caps? I haven't seen the underside of a 1060 before, don't know if that's original or not.

Did you add the bypass caps on the coupling caps? I haven't seen the underside of a 1060 before, don't know if that's original or not.

I added the three coupling caps on the output caps and the filter. Those are Vishay/Sprague 1uf 100V
Then I replaced the .022uf 400V caps connected to the bridge rectifier with... gosh, I forgot! Probably more Vishay/Sprague.

thanks for that - how many Watts is your iron?

It's a Weller WLC100 which comes standard with a 40 watt chisel tipped iron

VERY nice! :thmbsp:

You have me thinking, tempted... I have a couple of those hanging around, including one untouched one that definitely needs a recap. It has potential, as it is cosmetically nice (including the wood case) and worthy of something like that treatment... Hhhhhhmmmm....

Do it! This wasn't too expensive. I think its about $80 when you total everything up. More than half of that were the big Gold Tunes.

Do it! This wasn't too expensive. I think its about $80 when you total everything up. More than half of that were the big Gold Tunes.

Yeah, those fancy big caps are just icing on the recapped cake! :D I rebuilt a 2220 with just Panasonic TS-HA (I think) for the big caps, it sounded wonderful. I think it was around 35 bucks for the caps for the 2220, and a few man hours.

As far as the sound goes, this is just silky smooth. The bass is good, but not as deep as other amps that I've been working on. Very effortless sound.

Well, I know some of you must think I'm nuts, for not hooking this up as soon as it got here, but I was messing with a tubed amp. ;) It's on now though, fed with a Pioneer TX-9800, & powering the NS-1000Ms, & it does sound sweet. :music: Very smooth & airy, with a huge soundstage, even in my tiny little room. I'm surprised how clear the highs are, especially like cymbals & piano. The bass is there, but does seem a little subdued, maybe that'll resolve itself, as the caps break in? :scratch2: Sir.Byrd does nice work, for sure, he even changed the tape on the power cord (didn't think I'd notice that, did ya?) ;) I looked at that when I first got it, but the wire's fine, just had some insulation rubbed off, so the tape fixes it well enough. :thmbsp:

THERE's the bass, in spades. I hit the loudness button, with the bass knob at the flat position, & wasn't too impressed, but anything above flat is VERY impressive. The further you go, the more the wow factor multiplies. :yes: This is actually pretty good, that you can have lots of bass, or almost no bass, you don't always want to vibrate the walls. ;)

The original NS-1000Ms already don't have the biggest bass in the world, then with those non-stock woofers and the air leaks... don't forget to get those original woofers fixed up by Carcel at Around the Sound.

Back
Top Bottom