Fisher Royal Electra 23-R Found Curbside - Help Needed

jgorhan

On my way home from work today I see what appears to be a vintage console stereo out to the curb. I check it out and sure enough it's a Fisher Royal Electra with a model number 23-R (which apparently is the console version of the 175-T receiver) in VERY GOOD condition. The console itself is in near perfect condition and is a beautiful piece of furniture by itself, and buy looks alone the receiver and turntable look like they're in great shape. Admittedly I don't know much about vintage audio, this would be my first delve into it. So I come home and do some research and decide that it's worth going back and almost throwing my back out to getting it into my jeep and getting it home.

I noticed while it was curbside that the plug on the power cable had been cut off. Figured that that was an easy enough fix that it was worth the effort of getting it home. So I brought it back, cleaned it off the dust and pollen with some pledge, replaced the plug, plugged it in and crossed my fingers...........nothing. Disappointed to say the least.

I've spent the past few hours looking on this forum to no avail for any others that have had a similar issue. I'm sure it could be many things that are causing this, but I honestly don't even know where to start. Basically I'm looking for some advice on what I should be looking at and if anyone has any suggestions on where I would be able to find any replacement parts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would LOVE to get this up and running.

Thanks.

Could be any number of things... these are just my suggestions and please do not take them as gospel...

1. Capacitors - these are tall round components, sometimes in metal cans - look for any that are corroded or bulging - they are bad and need to be replaced.

2. If you have an ohm meter / volt meter, you can look for resistors (usually brownish), and test them. They are color coded to indicate their resistance, e.g. 100 ohm resistance. Values should be +- 20% , e.g. a 100 ohm resistor should test at 80 to 120 ohms.

3. Look for anything scorched, worn, or dried out. Some capacitors were made of paper and oil and eventually dried out, making them bad.

A cut cord usually means DO NOT APPLY POWER, or someone needed it for something else.
Post pics of the unit if you are able.

Awesome....thanks for the response. I think I'm going to pull the receiver out tomorrow and I'll take a look for anything out of the ordinary. Can't get a good look while it's in the console. And I think I know someone with a ohm meter/volt meter....so I'll try to get a hold of that and do some poking around.

It's a start. Thanks.

Also, some pictures if anyone was interested.....

Attachments

• IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 91
When you mentioned that you get nothing when you turn it on, do you mean that the dial lights come on but no sound output, or you are getting absolutely nothing, dead?

I wonder if that thing has tubes in it. I know a lot of Fishers from that era had 12AX7 drivers and solid state outputs. I heard they sound pretty awesome.

I do not, but I was told that I can pick one up for around $20 or so at a RadioShack or something like that. Going to head over and get one after work.

And @ solidjackson, everything that I've read on this console/receiver say it's solid state. And I didn't see any tubes when I looked yesterday (I'll post pictures of the components of the receiver when I pull it out of the console later). Although I would have loved to come across a vintage tube console sitting on the side of the road. Ha. I'll take it either way if I can get it running. Heard these solid state Fishers from this era were pretty sweet.

Back
Top Bottom