JVC RX-400 Receiver problem

kyray

Hi,

I'm a 53 yr old newbie. Am outfitting my garage with vintage equipment. I found some Bose 901's series 5, & am powering them with a JVC RX-400. Everything works great on the JVC, except the tuner doesn't work(doesn't even light up.) Any suggestions? I bought a Sansui TU-3900 Tuner & solved my problem, but would like to get the JVC up to snuff. I also have a Onkyo TX-84 receiver that works perfectly, but wouldn't the JVC be a better amp for the 901's?? I'm rediscovering all my old vinyl again!

I am confused by your terminology. You say the tuner doesn't light up. Do you mean the tuner section of the receiver, or the entire receiver?

I have a JVC receiver of about the same vintage and have had problems finding a service manual. I'd guess you would have similar problems. Mine is RX-703VBK.

You could repair that without a manual but that's the hard way.

Searched "JVC RX-400" and came up with a bunch of hybrid SUVs, sorry. Having no experience with vintage gear, I don't know whether the tuner is wired and powered together with the rest of the system (do you have a input select dial?).

Sorry Guys.

#1 the tuner section of the receiver doesn't light & no sound. So the fuses are located inside the cabinet(I see no fuse holder on the back.)?

#2 I have input buttons to push to select my source.

I downloaded a RX-300 manual(near mine) & have yet to read it all.

That is probably a microprocessor controlled unit and so the panel only sends commands to the digital circuitry. Check power supplies.

So basically, with no electronic knowledge & testing Equip. If fuses aren't blown, I should find a tech to look into my problem. Any opinions if the Onkyo tx-84 would be as good powering the 901's, or should i stick with the JVC??

popcorn3dm.gif
Had the same issues w/my 400.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom