What's the best receiver you ever heard?

Unshriven

If you had to pick one and it would be the only receiver you'd ever listen to again, what would it be? Which one was the best you ever heard?

So far I would say my marantz 2385 was the best out of the vintage ones of heard. It seems to have the clearest sound and separation. But here in lies the problem.

You said only one, FOREVER. That being the case I would have to pick my Denon AVR-2809ci. It has enough options and inputs to accommodate anything I do in the future as far as audio and video goes.

I could always buy a better phono stage and separate power amps so I would have to pick this..... Until I have experience with more higher end units.

I would have to "side by side" my Sansui Eight Deluxe, 9090DB and G-871DB to know.

For now, I'll pick the Eight Deluxe.

Rob

Well I would have to go with either my Marantz 2330 or 2250B followed closely by my Pioneer Sx-939 and Sansui 8080DB.
But if tubes are included in this discussion, then I would pick my Fisher 500-C over them all.:yes:

The best receiver I ever heard would be separates tied together with a big rope...but outside of that, I like my 9090db the best. There's just something very nice about how it sounds, and I love the sound of the tuner in it. That said, I don't care for it's phono section at all (easily solved by an outboard). I also like my McIntosh 4100. The rest of the receivers I've had, which is a lot of them, sort of lived in a similar good but not great area as far as sound for me. I liked some, hated some, and most were kind of so-so, but fun to play with.

not that my limited experience counts for much here, but i have to give the nod to my old Sanyo JCX-2900K. the only other receiver i've had was a Marantz 2245 which was nice and probably smoother but not as powerful- and accurate-sounding. besides an Onkyo 601 HT receiver, they're the only receivers i've ever had. if you include integrateds, it's my partially recapped Yamaha A-1 without a doubt.

I never cottoned to my 2385, nor to my HPM-1500 speakers, to which the Marantz was connected, though that combination could rock out hard, for whatever that's worth. Damn friend's separate gear ruined it all for me. He worked in a high end audio salon in San Diego.

For gorgeous tone, Kyocera made some very nice receivers in the '80s. I haven't heard any of the high end Japanese (or Norwegian or German or American . . .) gear, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Kyocera R-861, Luxman R-117, HK 690i, HK 990VXi. The HK's make my list for SQ but they are fragile.

For me, my Nak TA-3A. However, I have never heard a single Sansui, Kyocera or Luxman. Did like my HK 730 and 430, but the Nak edges them out.

I dearly loved my 9090db but my Denon AVR3000 is probably the one I can live with the longest. Oh wait, it already is :D

Back
Top Bottom