Kg4 Replacement Woofers

kfalls

Anyone have any experience with the replacement woofers for the Kg4s. The original K-8-K woofers are no longer available via Klipsch. Some can be found on ebay, but quality and price varies substantially. It would be comforting to know a valid replacement is available.

I've just upgraded the tweeters with the excellent Crites titanium diaphrams and plan to upgrade the xovers next. Naturally woofer replacement came to mind. The cabinet and grilles are still in as new condition. These are one of my very favorites, so will never sell them.

Immediately after purchasing my second pair of Kg4s, I discovered the grilles didn't match. One set was black, the other Dk. Brown/Black. I got a great deal on the speakers (open box), so sellers were unwilling to exchange. I purchased new black grilles from Klipsch ($40). If anyone is interested in the Dk. Brown grilles for $30 +shipping, let me know. Sorry I know this isn't the Marketplace.

K-8-k's come up on dbay.
I bought a couple as backups. The drivers do seem to be pretty durable, as I have not had a lick of trouble.
When I got my KG4's one of the drivers was out of phase.
easy to check with a 1.5v battery.
Freshening up the caps is an excellent way to ensure you are getting everything from the speakers too.

K-8-k's come up on dbay.
I bought a couple as backups. The drivers do seem to be pretty durable, as I have not had a lick of trouble.
When I got my KG4's one of the drivers was out of phase.
easy to check with a 1.5v battery.
Freshening up the caps is an excellent way to ensure you are getting everything from the speakers too.

I've got kg4s too . . . how do you check the driver's phase?

Thanks

I just soldered 2 short leads on a 1.5 AA battery.
Then touch the positive lead to the positive speaker terminal. Neg to the negative speaker terminal.
Both drivers will/should move outward.
If one moves in and the other out, they are out of phase
Hope that helps
JB

I just soldered 2 short leads on a 1.5 AA battery.
Then touch the positive lead to the positive speaker terminal. Neg to the negative speaker terminal.
Both drivers will/should move outward.
If one moves in and the other out, they are out of phase
Hope that helps
JB

Wow! that is easy!!!

What if they are out of phase?

What does that mean?

How do you fix that?

Thanks!

Just reverse the speaker wires on the driver that moves inward not outward.

Chances are your drivers are correct anyway. Not sure why one of mine was backwards, but it was an easy fix.
Now, I see some Capacitors in your future ;)
Have fun!
JB :)

Just reverse the speaker wires on the driver that moves inward not outward.

Chances are your drivers are correct anyway. Not sure why one of mine was backwards, but it was an easy fix.
Now, I see some Capacitors in your future ;)
Have fun!
JB :)

Yeah, I was just curious. The boy I bought them from had them rebuilt about five years back from some famous Klipsch guy here in Virginia. There are certification labels stapled on the backs and the guy gave me his receipt from the rebuild work too. So I'm sure they're okay. I just like to know stuff like this.

Thanks for the info.

One woofer out of phase would have some awful effects on the bass when both speakers are running. One cancels out the other, except that both channels are not playing exactly the same and there are room effects, so basically it sounds really weird. JBCobra's was probably a factory wiring error, has to be rare. You would know if you had a problem like that. It would sound like crap.

One woofer out of phase would have some awful effects on the bass when both speakers are running. One cancels out the other, except that both channels are not playing exactly the same and there are room effects, so basically it sounds really weird. JBCobra's was probably a factory wiring error, has to be rare. You would know if you had a problem like that. It would sound like crap.

Thanks!

I had never even heard of Klipsch before I got poking around on AK. I always had Pioneers, Advents, and such.

But you guys sold me on them . . . these kg4s are killer! Now I need to find some good Klipsch replacements for my old Infinity Studio Monitors 122s.

I live out on a big farm and really like to crank it up . . . what would you suggest?

Have not heard La Scalas, or Khorns. I'm sure I'd love them have, no place to put them!, and did not want to comment on something I have not heard. I don't own cornwalls at the moment, but have listened to a pair recently, and currently on the lookout for a pair.

Back
Top Bottom