• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

OPINIONS SOUGHT: Ashly XR crossovers

Register to hide this ad
Links aren't working for me.

Ashly crossovers are generally regarded as very good in the pro world. Not quite up to the standards of BSS, XTA and a couple others but build quality and sound is miles ahead of the Behringer CX series which seem to be so popular in the hi-fi world.

Lots of touring bands where I work still come through with analogue Ashly gear. Well, the few which still use analogue stuff and not a digital driverack anyway...
 
Thanks for your comments, MunkeyQ. I fixed the links~

I need to be able to adjust phase (delay) for the upper range of the ribbons in my Carver AL-III speakers (crossover from downward-firing woofer to ribbon will be 200 hz). I can't find any information for these units to determine if they have any sort of phase adjustment--anyone know?

Pics show no phase adjustment:

xr1001-f.jpg


xr1001-b.jpg
 
Last edited:
Not quite up to the standards of BSS, XTA and a couple others
Mostly a matter of opinion really. IMO the Ashly Protea processors are everything that a Brook Siren(BSS) or Klark Teknik is, doesn't get much better.

Hard to beat Ashly's factory support and service too.
 
FWIW, in my research I found the Ashlys with a hyphen in the model number seem to be later models made in China. Those without the hyphen with the information screened on a green block on the face, like my XR1001, were made in New York. Having only the XR1001, I don't know of a quality difference. I'm using mine to bi-amp a pair of JBL 4345s. Works great for my use and I paid about $100 for it in excellent used condition. The owner's manuals are available on-line from Ashly and should answer any questions you have:http://www.ashly.com/downloads/t-manpage.htm

The older manuals were also linked on their site but I can't find them now. I do have the download archived if need be. :thmbsp:
 
I will be removing the passive crossovers; that's why I'm going active. They have a HUGE power-sucking passive crossover. I'm planning to run sweeps & use a spectrum analyzer tool to flatten the response. I'm planning on a good parametric equalizer in the mix as well.

Well, I bid prematurely so I'm now the proud owner of the Ashly crossover. The Rane AC-22S would have been my preference. In fact, one sold on ebay a while back for $5.00!! It makes me sick to my stomach~

So, I'll try to do what I can with the Ashly, and if it's not sufficient I'm going to hunt down an AC-22.

Thanks to all for your comments & suggestions!
 
Got the crossover yesterday; like new, in original box, with manual! I think I made out on this deal for $143.00.

I'll hook it up this weekend~
 
You did super. 143...

Heard a 4001 running from 1.5 W flea amps through Altec horns triamped. Very sweet.

No Delay on the 4001. Look for the Behrenger 2496 (or is it 9624) for that but you don't get 4-way just 3 way.

Will be interested in your ribbons setup, please post your progress since I have a 75" B-G ribbons project.
 
You did super. 143...

Heard a 4001 running from 1.5 W flea amps through Altec horns triamped. Very sweet.

No Delay on the 4001. Look for the Behrenger 2496 (or is it 9624) for that but you don't get 4-way just 3 way.

Will be interested in your ribbons setup, please post your progress since I have a 75" B-G ribbons project.

There are a lot of folks who actively bi-amp Carver Amazings. Here's a link to a really good thread changing Amazing Platinum Edition speakers to active (you may have to join to access it):

http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1180

I'll post back here about my success (or lack thereof!)-- :thmbsp:

FYI: the B-G ribbons are a little different from the Carver ribbons:

PlatinumImpedance.jpg

You can see the slight bump around 180 Hz, which is a mechanical resonance, based on the length of the ribbon and how it is mounted. This is compared to the Bohlender & Graebner 75" ribbon which, being longer, has a lower and wider peak around 140 Hz.

There may be other differences. Someone on the internet has a page that goes into great detail about the differences. My ribbons are 48", so they will be different as well.

Found the links:

http://ldsg.snippets.org/ALSR/dbsindex.html

http://ldsg.snippets.org/ALSR/index.php

Hope that's helpful to you, Susurus~
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom