Box for 400..

larryderouin

I'm VERTICAL and Breathing...most of the time.
Subscriber
Having been given a boatload of woodworking gear from my dad who is giving it up (he's 78), I figured I'd dive in and see if I could build a cabinet (more like a box) for my 400. The last times I did anything like this was in 7th grade in the late 60's. And it was a shitty looking tool carry.

2 coats of Red Mahogany Stain. It's still rough enough(last sandpaper was 180) that I think it needs to be sanded with some 320 and then veneered. Never was any good at this stuff. This is the test fit, and it's by no means finished yet.

It fits tight enough(on the sides) it doesn't needs screws to hold it in.

1-1"x12"x6' and 4ft of 3/8"x3/8" square stock. I had to cut the bottom plate thickness by about 1/2 so put the dado blade on the Radial Arm saw and went to town. And had to cut slots in the sides to allow the screws on the sides to clear. The back side sticks out about 3/4". I'll live with that so to keep the 7868's cool.

Still have to get some Gold Anodized screen sheet for the top. I like the Red Mahogany color, so It'll stay. Wonder if I can get that Color in Veneer. Hmmmm............

Larry

Attachments

• 100_1594.jpg
    100_1594.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hey, that looks pretty good! :thmbsp: The wood grain could use a bit more character though. Do you have a router bit that could bevel the front like the original cases? Just a thought of something you could try. Something that I would try, and the case would end up right in the dumpster. :D

That's pretty darn good for a first effort, not that I'm any expert on woodworking. :D

...Do you have a router bit that could bevel the front like the original cases? Just a thought of something you could try...
Another way would be to add/glue beveled molding to the front before putting on the veneer.

I couldn't rout a straight line if it my life depended on it. I WAS going to use a cove piece, but couldn't find one in 3/8x1/2 (which the top is). So i ended up with square stock and cut it down to just over size, then used the belt sander on the whole thing. Gonna go over to H.D. and get some 320 pads for my orbital and see if I can smooth it out some more.

I ended up using a HVLP sprayer for the stain, as I got too many runs and glops with a brush. Couldn't get it on fast enough and it would dry outside in the heat. The sprayer solved that problem.

Larry

Larry

Looks good :thmbsp:

one of the better lookin ones infact
strait clean simple not thick and gaudy

buy the way nice lookin 400 also :thmbsp:

Bob

Thanks for the kudo's guys.

I didn't like how it turned out,(too rough) so I stripped it down to bare wood, sanded until smooth with up to 320, then 2 lite coats of Red Mahogany stain. Right now I just sanded the 1st coat of Semigloss poly, and added 2nd coat. Let it sit overnight, and sand 2nd coat. Then add 3rd coat. Pic's tomorrow late if it turns out ok.

jailtime. I used a 1x12 of clear ponderosa, almost has no grain to speak of. It'll show a very light grain when it's done.

Larry

OK, now I understand why there's not much grain. Very fine grain, if any at all. Easy wood to work with though. I saw that you're considering mahogany veneer, it's the cheapest out there if you want to try it. Your case as it is should be pretty nice when you get the metal screen in though. :yes: Where are you gonna get the metal for it?

Well Larry,
It seems you don't mind taking on a challenge.
Nice looking cab by the way.

I usually use 8 very thin coats of Minwax spray poly clear. If your brushed poly is thin enough, you should have a fabulous finish.

What you should do is get a sheet of red mahogany. I did it to my 800c cabinet and it looks quite good. I didn't go crazy with the joints, and just butted them. After the veneer was on red mahogany stain really make it pop. Then a few shots of clear lacquer.
Nice box!

Thanks guys. I finally got the finish to the point where it's not runny, or orangepeeling. Only took 3 times down to bare wood. I finally figured out the HVLP sprayer with the poly. Minwax Clear poly Satin.

I'll see how it looks in a few months and make a decision as to veneer.

I did round off the square stock on the front (hand sanded), and it looks like a 8th grade wood shop 1st project. I'm better with metal and cars. At least it's got a case now, so CinCHOUSE will stop bitching.

Surprisingly Home Depot has a Goldtone Screen that's very close to what I want in it. But $18.00 for a 1'x2' sheet is IMO Highway robbery.

Larry

Last edited:
Larry,

That's damn good. Looks like you have the talent in you, you just need a little practice, and learn a little. Your ole' man is probably pretty proud. Hang in there and you'll be doin' top notch stuff, and we'll all be keepin' ya busy. :scratch2: I know how some people's cue's are, can I put in my order now? :banana:

Good job!

Ron

You can teach an old dog only so much. And I'm at that stage where woodworking isn't something I can be taught to do well. As for the finish, I may strip it back down and have a friend (who is a carpenter and does this stuff) refinish it.

Or I may have him build me one from Oak or Black Walnut. I think I'll ask him if he would trade some lawnmowing for it. THAT I can do. (Just got a Scott's 25HP/54in tractor made by John Deere for free, had to replace the PTO clutch, and it's been garage kept for the last ten years).

Back
Top Bottom